HVA at Farragut for 1-6A Title

RebelAtHeart

3 hours ago, Ericdietz said:

I couldn't agree with you more ... the rotation in D is none existent and kids are gassed by the 4th... doesn't make any sense to me ... 

I think it showed volumes on Friday night when they rotated their 2nd string LBs & DBs , Hardin Valley seemed to drive the ball downfield with ease on their 2nd to last drive. It looked like a score was imminent, but they put the 1s back in the game to keep them out. While I haven't gotten to see every game this year live, I have gotten to watch most of them thanks to the awesome livesteaming Farragut does. You both must be players parents. I think the numbers speak for themselves though, only giving up 113 points this season which puts them 3rd in 6A for points allowed. With that said, I don't understand the criticism, but I guess as the old saying goes "You can't please them all."

24 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

I think it showed volumes on Friday night when they rotated their 2nd string LBs & DBs , Hardin Valley seemed to drive the ball downfield with ease on their 2nd to last drive. It looked like a score was imminent, but they put the 1s back in the game to keep them out. While I haven't gotten to see every game this year live, I have gotten to watch most of them thanks to the awesome livesteaming Farragut does. You both must be players parents. I think the numbers speak for themselves though, only giving up 113 points this season which puts them 3rd in 6A for points allowed. With that said, I don't understand the criticism, but I guess as the old saying goes "You can't please them all."

it is true I am a parent, it is true he is a 2nd LB, it is true he is being talked to by 3 d2 schools,  and it is true when he played the entire game due to injury he was selected by knox news as a top performer of the week.  when you pull every 1 out and put in every 2 yes your defense will look poor. (especial when they don't get to play much) what my suggestion is  rotate some 1's with 2's.  it helps the young guys get experience as well as rests your starters and results in less potential for injury.  It is just smart football,  show me a college or pro team that doesn't rotate players to keep guys fresh ... are the FHS coaches smarter than ALL of them ... at the end of the day this is a good team I agree and there are some great young men on that team that will do very well in life and in football after FHS... Oh a side note I sit with the parents of the starter over my son and they agree ... 

3 minutes ago, Ericdietz said:

it is true I am a parent, it is true he is a 2nd LB, it is true he is being talked to by 3 d2 schools,  and it is true when he played the entire game due to injury he was selected by knox news as a top performer of the week.  when you pull every 1 out and put in every 2 yes your defense will look poor. (especial when they don't get to play much) what my suggestion is  rotate some 1's with 2's.  it helps the young guys get experience as well as rests your starters and results in less potential for injury.  It is just smart football,  show me a college or pro team that doesn't rotate players to keep guys fresh ... are the FHS coaches smarter than ALL of them ... at the end of the day this is a good team I agree and there are some great young men on that team that will do very well in life and in football after FHS... Oh a side note I sit with the parents of the starter over my son and they agree ... 

You comparing a Farragut to any college or pro football team tells me all I need to know. 

Edited by adalum96

Just now, adalum96 said:

You comparing an East Tennessee high school football team to any college or pro football team tells me all I need to know. 

Sorry I come from Texas where football is very different and players are developed by coaches ... you not agreeing that 2nd players should be rotated with starters and resting players to reduce fatigue and injury tells me all I need to know.  GO ADS!! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ericdietz said:

Sorry I come from Texas where football is very different and players are developed by coaches ... you not agreeing that 2nd players should be rotated with starters and resting players to reduce fatigue and injury tells me all I need to know.  GO ADS!! 

High school football is very different there, my brother lives there and my nephew plays high school ball there. I do agree that you should rotate players in, but ONLY is they are capable of meeting the standards of the starters. I don't know you or your son, so don't take this personally, I am glad he was selected player of the week by the local fish wrapper. BUT, from what I saw Friday night, when they began rotating players at LB, the defensive appeared weaker. I am not saying it was their fault, but that was the only difference from earlier in the game, as I think all of the starting defensive linemen were still playing. 

3 minutes ago, adalum96 said:

High school football is very different there, my brother lives there and my nephew plays high school ball there. I do agree that you should rotate players in, but ONLY is they are capable of meeting the standards of the starters. I don't know you or your son, so don't take this personally, I am glad he was selected player of the week by the local fish wrapper. BUT, from what I saw Friday night, when they began rotating players at LB, the defensive appeared weaker. I am not saying it was their fault, but that was the only difference from earlier in the game, as I think all of the starting defensive linemen were still playing. 

I would encourage you to watch the game from week 6.  2 out of 4 LB were not traditional starters ... I would say one of the best weeks our LB group had ... but I'm clearly bias :-)

On 10/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, adalum96 said:

Nope. I am not a parent nor do I have any family on the team. I won't make a similarly uninformed deduction like yours and conclude that you are the parent of a starter. I simply made a comment regarding my continued observation and bewilderment at Farragut's apparent unwillingness to substitute more freely on the defensive front and subsequently conveyed an opinion on a message board that I thought might be beneficial to the team. Furthermore, my post was limited to one position group – the defensive line. Perhaps you should take the time to read my post a little more carefully.

What I saw against Bearden, and also in the second half against Science Hill, was a defense that could not get off the field on third down as a result of missed tackles and missed opportunities – even in favorable down and distance situations. Any reasonable person who's ever been around this game knows that missed tackles are often a direct result of fatigue, and I saw visible signs of fatigue on the defensive line in both of those games. You proffered a statistic regarding the Admirals' total points allowed; here's a statistic for you… Bearden doubled Farragut's time of possession. Not only is it difficult to play sound two-gap defensive line technique when tired, but it is most assuredly difficult to keep offensive lineman occupied and off of linebackers if one is gassed. This effect is further compounded when a no-huddle offense goes three-and-out, placing the defense right back on the field.

I agree that the standard of play cannot drop off considerably. However, it is awfully difficult to build depth without giving meaningful snaps to second team players. Moreover, I believe players are much more susceptible to injury if they are fatigued. Farragut will occasionally substitute at a defensive end position; but at Nitro, very little, if ever, during a game. Every team is only one play away from playing a backup, and that is a particular challenge in a 30 front defensive line where each linemen could readily face a double team on any given play. Take last year for example, Farragut was forced to play a 185 lb. freshman at defensive end and had only one healthy Nitro against Dobyns Bennett due to injuries. By the time Farragut played Maryville in the playoffs, they had lost all three Nitros (Anthony Lawson, Nolan Davis, Keenan TerHark) and had to start that same aforementioned 185 lb. freshman at Nitro alongside two defensive ends with a padded club protecting arm/wrist injuries.

I think the Admirals have some good football players on the defensive front; I just think they could be considerably more effective if they were fully rested and at 100%. Ultimately, the decision is up to the coaches, and I will be the first to admit that I'm not at practice every day. At the same time, if Farragut wants to advance in the playoffs against quality football teams, following a grueling regular season, I think a regular rotation at defensive end and Nitro positions will only serve to make the defense better – and I think they have the player depth to accomplish that.

Edited by Former44
  • Like 1