College Heights Classic

jk

This weekend, I witnessed the powerhouses Oak Hill Academy and Central Park play. Oak Hill dominated College Heights but College Heights played very good for the 1st, 3rd, and 4th quarter. Lindel Yarbrough was really impressive. He's only a freshman and gomab, you need to add this guy to your rankings for freshman. Oak Hill's guard, #3, was putting on a show with his guard play. College Heights played exceptional. Central Park played a close one with Miller. Miller has a talented squad and #23 is amazing. But Central Park was outstanding with the shooting of Rod Grizzard's little brother and nationally ranked sophmore Joey Cameron did not play. I was wondering who won the championship between Oak Hill and Central Park.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sherman

Central Park won 90-71. Oak Hill made a big run late to cut it to 9 but James Lang was to tough for them to handle. College Heights played with Miller to the end and was only down 8 with 3 min. to go but ended up losing by 18. They played very well. It was a great tourney.

Can anyone affiliated with College Heights Christian tell me the reason why they are not in TSSAA. I have heard from a number of people that they have had great talent the past two years. Is it because of the school or are they affiliated with a church that doesn't want them to be in the league. I have heard that they have some awesome new players this year. I have heard the basketball coach is an awesome recruiter... I remember around 5 or so years ago they had a pretty good coach. But if the issue is that they recruit players, they could still be in TSSAA div. 2, ya know? I just don't get how such an awesome team would be playing in a well below average christian school league. I know that they play teams in TSSAA but comments about them being one of the best teams are void because they are not in the league...is it in the works or what??? Thanks to anyone who knows anything about the subject

[Edited by ballplaya32 on 11-26-02 10:18A]

Guest sherman

College Heights should go TSSAA. They would be class A and would compete well. They beat Friendship this year and have beat a number of Class A schools in the two years their new coach has been there. I have a lot of respect for their coach John Price. I live in Gallatin and have watched some games over there the last two years to see what they are about. His players always play hard for him. He is an intense coach and is a great motivator. He seems to get the most out of the talent he has. As far as his "skills" as a coach, I know he has won over 40 games in 2 years and I was talking to their principle about him and she told me he could win his 100th game this year in just his 5th year as a head coach. He is young in his mid 20's or so it appears.

He makes adjustments very well for a young coach. I stood behind their bench at the Oak Hill game and his schemes are sound. He made some nice adjustments in that game and they only lost the 2nd half by 2 points. His teams have always played good defense. He is a very likeable guy and I have talked to him several times.

I go to alot of the Vol State college games as well and some of their players know coach Price. They told me they wish he was the coach at vol state. I think he has a bright future.

As far as recruiting goes, I know they have open gym all summer and I think that kids that get to know him over the summer want to play for him. My son went up there a few times and really came away impressed with him. If they were not so exspensive he would have gone there to play for College Heights. My son plays at station camp this year.

Bottom line: College Heights is on the up and up in basketball and their coach is the biggest reason for it. (in my opinion) He got Oak Hill to come to his tourney for cryin out loud.

Guest sherman

Just curious, who has said they are one of the best teams around? And who has said their coach lacks skills? Most people in Nashville know very little about sumner county basketball much less College Heights. I must admit that if it were not for my curiosity in their teams after reading about them in the gallatin newspapers I would not know much about them or their coach. This tournament has done alot for their school though.

I think highly of what they are doing over there because up until 2 years ago they were nothing and now they are making a good name for themselves. You have to respect that. :confused:

Just to let you know DK, no TSSAA school can play College Heights during the regular season because they are not affiliated. Since Yarbrough went to East Lit last year and his brother played football for Hunters Lane, it is safe to say recruiting MIGHT be involved. All they have to do is petition the TSSAA just like your former school did after playing in the weak christian school league. They could always play D2.

Thanks for the feedback...I know that they couldn't go single A cuz Coach John Price recruits, but they can always go d2. But my question was not about their record or even about their coach, but about why they aren't in tssaa. I already said that their coach is a good recruiter, but his team was nothing until to the past two years when he recruited. And I have heard even from his own former players that he does recruit...and about being one of the best around....i had some friends go watch the tourney and said that they would give a lot of single a premier teams a run for their money, and if they beat friendship this year then they must be pretty good, although i don't know how well they would match up against other d2 schools that recruit...i mean, give scholarships.

Guest sherman

College heights has played DCA, Nashville christian, Mt Juliet Chr. and hermitage springs in the regular season because they have ran stories on those games in the gallatin news about them. I looked on their schedule this week and saw that they play hermitage springs twice which I believe is class A.

Let me say this about their coach recruiting. My son went to their open gym and their coach never approached him about coming there until I asked the coach myself for some information. He did compliment my son and give him some pointers on his game but he never "recruited" him. Once I asked questions, he answerd them and did say my son would contribute at his school but I do not condider that to be recruiting. He promotes College heights to those who are interested which is what any coach should do.

If their school was not $4000 a year my son would be there today.

Guest sherman

how are you so sure that college heights recruits? Its easy to claim that "former players" say that but those seem to be strong accsations with little hard evidence to back it up. What players? name names because I have watched them over the years and bump in to them time to time at pick-up games in Hendersonville. Are you from a rival school because it seems as if you have a rift with their program.

Look, I don't know why you are getting so defensive about this...my only question was "WHY ISN'T COLLEGE HEIGHTS IN TSSAA?"...if you can't answer that then stop posting defensive messages...i am not gonna say anything else cuz it seems like you are getting your panties in too big of a bunch...if you like College Heights so much then fork out the 4 g's to have your son go play there, but please, stop whining

I only went to the last game to see the Oak Hill "B" Team play Central Park out of Alabama. Central Park was pretty good with the big center and the Grizzard kid and a few others. If you look at their schedule, it's mostly the home school teams and the military type prep school teams. I guess that College Heights can offer national competition to players that TSSAA schools can't. No TSSAA school or any team in VA can play Oak Hill. They feel that they "steal" away their top players i.e. Slay, Mercer, Reynolds and others that have played for them. It is really amazing the number of home school and prep school teams around that play full schedules but no TSSAA teams. A lot of those players get scholarships, so I guess it doesn't hurt them to not be affiliated with the oh mighty TSSAA. If College Heights can offer a good education and good competition for their players, so what. I had never heard of them till this past weekend.

[Edited by sportsfan101 on 11-26-02 4:41P]