3-6A 2019

Time to get some conversation on this region. Week 1 starts tonight with these games:

Oakland- Hendersonville

Blackman-Alcoa (Sat)

Riverdale-Northeast

Siegel-Franklin

Rockvale-LaVergne

Cookeville-Upperman (Sat)

Warren Co- DeKalb Co

Coffee Co- Franklin Co

Alot of toss up games. Could see the region winning most of these but could see this region losing almost all of these, except for Oakland

Season Prediction:

1.) Oakland

2.) Blackman

3.) Riverdale

4. Cookeville

5. Siegel

6. Rockvale 

7. Warren Co

8.) Coffee County

I think you could put the teams 2 thru 5 in almost any order and have a decent chance of being right. If Siegel had more depth, I'd be tempted to pick them 3rd.

Blackman has won 8 games every season since 2009 (Something even Oakland hasn't done), but with non- region matchups against Alcoa, Ravenwood and Independence, that could be in jeopardy. The Blaze are the biggest wildcard in the region, they could go 5-5 or 9-1 and I wouldn't be suprise at either.

This is Year 4 for Riverdale under Kriesky, the time for excuses is over. On paper, they have a team that is very capable of beating Blackman and have a 3 year starter at QB and a strong running game. If they can't make a move this year, I'm not sure when that is. 

Cookeville probably looks to be about the same place as they were last year where making the playoffs is a good season. As long as Maynord leads the program, they'll have a chance to pull an upset or two.

If you just look at the starters, Siegel has a team that can compete this season. But dressing around 40 kids with no jv team doesn't bode well for the future of the program under the current HC

Easy to look at Rockvale's schedule and fall into the trap of thinking this team could be near.500 in it's first year. But this is basically a JV team this year, with about 90 percent of it's team being freshmen or sophomores. Success will come for the Rockets, but it's gonna take time. They'll be very well coached and if they can finish 6th (or even 5th), it will have been a good season.

Warren Co./ Coffee Co-: What little chance either had of making a move within the region only is made worse by the addition of Rockvale. There is a reason both HC's left for greener pastures in the off-season.

Of your first 8 games, I will take the following:

Oakland
Alcoa
R'dale
Franklin
Rockvale
Cookville
DeKalb Co
Franklin Co

If Warren and Coffee can't win this week, both had better brace themselves for a L O N G season!

Rankin scheduled Blackman for a couple of reasons.  First a foremost was a SURE win to start his season.

As for the LaVergne vs Rockvale game, I will take the JV team under a really good coach over an undisciplined team under a mediocre coach.

Week 1 Results: 

Oakland 59 Hendersonville 0

Blackman 14 Alcoa 23

Riverdale 42 Northeast 6

Siegel 15 Franklin 34

Rockvale 20 LaVergne 44

Cookeville 20 Upperman 21

Warren Co 35 DeKalb Co 21

Coffee Co 20 Franklin Co 42

Week 2 Games:

Oakland v. Kenwood

Blackman v. Ravenwood

Riverdale @ Franklin

Siegel @ Page

Rockvale v. Franklin Co

Cookeville @ Livingston Academy

Warren Co @ Cannon Co

Coffee Co v. Tullahoma

Oakland, Blackman, and Riverdale made into the 6A AP Poll at #1,4,&9 respectively.

Time to discuss Week 2.