Whitehaven at Cordova

kwc

45 minutes ago, coach10ac said:

#6 thought he had a TD until Bryson walked him down and ruined they only chance. 

Man! I agree with dannyq. That was 'freak of narure' type of stuff. I was like Holy Crapola! Did I just see that! Not only did he show tremendous speed for a 250 lb LB. He tracked that kid down for at least 50 yards.

Not to mention those crushing blows that he and Martavious just be laying on folks! Oh my goodness!

Edited by kwc

The Commercial Appeal: Vols' Pruitt watches Whitehaven win, makes two offers.

Tennessee Vols football coach Jeremy Pruitt watched Whitehaven shut out Cordova 21-0 on Friday night, then made scholarship offers to two Tigers players, coach Rodney Saulsberry said.

Senior linebacker Tamarion McDonald, a 6-2, 220-pound three-star recruit and Mississippi State linebacker commitment, and sophomore Aliou Bah, a 6-foot-5, 330 pound offensive tackle, received the offers, according to Saulsberry.

"He came to the school earlier in the day and then he came to the game," Saulsberry said.

3ee7083a-e21c-48db-abd7-cc15c509c18e-_C_

McDonald is one of Whitehaven's three SEC-caliber linebackers. Martavius French is committed to Arkansas, and Bryson Eason is choosing between Tennessee and Arkansas.

French has said that the trio would have committed to Arkansas if McDonald received an offer from the Razorbacks in the spring. Now, all three have offers from the Vols.

The trio also has the option to team up at LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Memphis among others. Memphis coach Mike Norvell liked a tweet from the Whitehaven football Twitter account pointing this out.

"I’m setting up some officials with my guys (French and McDonald) and we’re going to get that on and popping. I’m trying to get something special with them. All three of us," Eason said.

Eason plans to visit Tennessee, Arkansas and Misssisippi State. His Arkansas visit is set for Oct. 19 when the Razorbacks host Auburn.

"When you have an athlete like Tamarion, it gives you some flexibility. He can play linebacker. He can play strong safety, he can play free safety or he can play in the box, so we’re able to move him around and we can change our defense kind of amoeba-like to whatever we like," Saulsberry said.

The win was Whitehaven's third shutout, and the Tigers (5-1) have held all opponents except for Brentwood Academy to a touchdown or less.

"I like when all three of us are at linebacker because we know how to play well together," French said. "But Tamarion gets on the edge, too, because when me and Bryson get in the middle I know that if it's a toss Tamarion is going to hold that edge down so it makes it easier for us to get lanes for us to come to the ball."

So what's the game plan for beating a high school defense that possibly features three future SEC linebackers? Cordova coach Marcus Wimberly said the key is putting speed on the perimeter and getting offensive linemen to hold their blocks long enough for the quarterback to spread the defense out.

"You spread them out, force those linebackers to go cover. But you have to hold up front. That's the whole key to it," said Wimberly, whose team fell to 3-3. "The quarterback has to do a good job of making the calls up front and executing the play, getting the ball out of his hand quickly and where it needs to be. You have to have a really good quarterback.

“You know what to do to beat it but it's tough to go do it."

Saulsberry noted the Tigers' improvement on the defensive line from last year and how it has opened more opportunities for the linebackers. Whitehaven rotated in six defensive linemen Friday night, including Richard Ellis, Jared Bradley, Alexander Whitmore and Deushea Jones.

"Last year our defensive line was young and inexperienced and it showed up a little in the state championship game but those guys are more experienced this year and up front if you let those linebackers run free those guys will make plays," Saulsberry said.

Edited by kwc

42 minutes ago, kwc said:

The Commercial Appeal: Vols' Pruitt watches Whitehaven win, makes two offers.

Tennessee Vols football coach Jeremy Pruitt watched Whitehaven shut out Cordova 21-0 on Friday night, then made scholarship offers to two Tigers players, coach Rodney Saulsberry said.

Senior linebacker Tamarion McDonald, a 6-2, 220-pound three-star recruit and Mississippi State linebacker commitment, and sophomore Aliou Bah, a 6-foot-5, 330 pound offensive tackle, received the offers, according to Saulsberry.

"He came to the school earlier in the day and then he came to the game," Saulsberry said.

3ee7083a-e21c-48db-abd7-cc15c509c18e-_C_

McDonald is one of Whitehaven's three SEC-caliber linebackers. Martavius French is committed to Arkansas, and Bryson Eason is choosing between Tennessee and Arkansas.

French has said that the trio would have committed to Arkansas if McDonald received an offer from the Razorbacks in the spring. Now, all three have offers from the Vols.

The trio also has the option to team up at LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Memphis among others. Memphis coach Mike Norvell liked a tweet from the Whitehaven football Twitter account pointing this out.

"I’m setting up some officials with my guys (French and McDonald) and we’re going to get that on and popping. I’m trying to get something special with them. All three of us," Eason said.

Eason plans to visit Tennessee, Arkansas and Misssisippi State. His Arkansas visit is set for Oct. 19 when the Razorbacks host Auburn.

"When you have an athlete like Tamarion, it gives you some flexibility. He can play linebacker. He can play strong safety, he can play free safety or he can play in the box, so we’re able to move him around and we can change our defense kind of amoeba-like to whatever we like," Saulsberry said.

The win was Whitehaven's third shutout, and the Tigers (5-1) have held all opponents except for Brentwood Academy to a touchdown or less.

"I like when all three of us are at linebacker because we know how to play well together," French said. "But Tamarion gets on the edge, too, because when me and Bryson get in the middle I know that if it's a toss Tamarion is going to hold that edge down so it makes it easier for us to get lanes for us to come to the ball."

So what's the game plan for beating a high school defense that possibly features three future SEC linebackers? Cordova coach Marcus Wimberly said the key is putting speed on the perimeter and getting offensive linemen to hold their blocks long enough for the quarterback to spread the defense out.

"You spread them out, force those linebackers to go cover. But you have to hold up front. That's the whole key to it," said Wimberly, whose team fell to 3-3. "The quarterback has to do a good job of making the calls up front and executing the play, getting the ball out of his hand quickly and where it needs to be. You have to have a really good quarterback.

“You know what to do to beat it but it's tough to go do it."

Saulsberry noted the Tigers' improvement on the defensive line from last year and how it has opened more opportunities for the linebackers. Whitehaven rotated in six defensive linemen Friday night, including Richard Ellis, Jared Bradley, Alexander Whitmore and Deushea Jones.

"Last year our defensive line was young and inexperienced and it showed up a little in the state championship game but those guys are more experienced this year and up front if you let those linebackers run free those guys will make plays," Saulsberry said.

He should have just offered the whole team. Good chance there is prolly a dozen SEC level kids at WH at any given time

48 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

He should have just offered the whole team. Good chance there is prolly a dozen SEC level kids at WH at any given time

Lol. I must admit that I've never seen a HS team with  LB corp like the one we have this year. It is special. The sophomore OL he offered is the next big thing at WH. He's 6'-5", 315 lbs and athletic. He will get more offers in the next two years to come. UT keep kinda let that cat out of the bag.

Edited by kwc

10 minutes ago, kwc said:

Lol. I must admit that I've never seen a HS team with  LB corp like the one we have this year. It is special. The sophomore OL he offered is the next big thing at WH. He's 6'-5", 315 lbs and athletic. He will get more offers in the next two years to come. UT keep kinda let that cat out of the bag.

You guys produce SEC caliber LB's like it's a freaking assembly line

I noticed that #19 didn't play. I also noticed #9 didn't play. I've also noticed #28 hasn't played for a while now. I'm assuming that those guys are incapacitated. I'd like to say that #14 stepped up and did well. It was also good to see #80 get involved. I saw #83 get some opportunities as well. #22 looked good too. Man! It's good to have depth.

Edited by kwc