Region 5-5A playoffs

GWAVE1

5 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Any information on Page, Summit, Shelbyville and Columbia besides their records?  I know they do not have many posters on here but what does everybody know?  

Page and Shelbyville are both very good teams!!!! They each have great run games to go with fast QBs who can throw very well. Shelbyville's defense has gotten better and better...probably the most physical team they have ever had. Senior OT/DT Gary Smith III is announcing his decision between Duke and Virginia Tech this week. He is a one-man wrecking ball! And they have other good players around him. They match up much better with any team that comes their way in the postseason because of their defense, physicality, and a senior-loaded, talented squad. Page is very dangerous as well in the same exact way. The first game between the two was one of the best high school games you could ever see! Shelbyville scored with no time on the clock to win the game with a fantastic throwback to the QB in the end zone, but it was called back because of a phantom illegal-man-down-field penalty. It was the MyTV30 game...the video clearly shows the play was completely legal and nobody was illegally down field. The flag came after the play and the explanation to the coaches was terrible and turned out to not be true at all. Anyway, all that said, both Shelbyville and Page will be tough outs for anybody! The top two from these two regions are very equal...anybody could advance.

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Page and Shelbyville are both very good teams!!!! They each have great run games to go with fast QBs who can throw very well. Shelbyville's defense has gotten better and better...probably the most physical team they have ever had. Senior OT/DT Gary Smith III is announcing his decision between Duke and Virginia Tech this week. He is a one-man wrecking ball! And they have other good players around him. They match up much better with any team that comes their way in the postseason because of their defense, physicality, and a senior-loaded, talented squad. Page is very dangerous as well in the same exact way. The first game between the two was one of the best high school games you could ever see! Shelbyville scored with no time on the clock to win the game with a fantastic throwback to the QB in the end zone, but it was called back because of a phantom illegal-man-down-field penalty. It was the MyTV30 game...the video clearly shows the play was completely legal and nobody was illegally down field. The flag came after the play and the explanation to the coaches was terrible and turned out to not be true at all. Anyway, all that said, both Shelbyville and Page will be tough outs for anybody! The top two from these two regions are very equal...anybody could advance.

Gallatin scrimmaged Shelbyville in the fall and the one thing that I noticed from them is their defense was much improved.  They had some huge guys up front but just did not look to have a lot of depth.  They only played the starting QB the entire scrimmage.  Page has looked good too but the loss to Lipscomb was puzzling.  They also have not put up really high consistent offensive numbers like I thought they probably should have.  They definitely like to throw the ball around though.  

18 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Lol...I watched that same game and you are right.  There wasn't 1 guy down field but 3.   Center, Guard and the slot WR who was covered were all down field. The phantom call that the announcers couldn't explain was how Shelbyville got the ball after they were   flagged for roughing the passer.   I do agree that Shelbyville is the only team from the region that matches up with Beech or Gallatin due to their size in the trenches.

12 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Lol...I watched that same game and you are right.  There wasn't 1 guy down field but 3.   Center, Guard and the slot WR who was covered were all down field. The phantom call that the announcers couldn't explain was how Shelbyville got the ball after they were   flagged for roughing the passer.   I do agree that Shelbyville is the only team from the region that matches up with Beech or Gallatin due to their size in the trenches.

Size does not always translate to wins however.   A lot of times those smaller guys are quick and use good technique to get the job done.  One thing I have noticed looking at scores is that Page, Summit, and Shelbyville allow some points early on in the game.  So the scores from the opponent are not all at the end on backups.  So I wonder how good those defenses are or are there a lot of adjustments going on.  Region 5 is a lot more pass happy than region 6.  Region 6 is more grind it out.  

5 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Size does not always translate to wins however.   A lot of times those smaller guys are quick and use good technique to get the job done.  One thing I have noticed looking at scores is that Page, Summit, and Shelbyville allow some points early on in the game.  So the scores from the opponent are not all at the end on backups.  So I wonder how good those defenses are or are there a lot of adjustments going on.  Region 5 is a lot more pass happy than region 6.  Region 6 is more grind it out.  

I agree about size but Shelbyville's size is athletic size.   I watch Friday Night lights due to age and they are by far the best front that I have seen on TV.   I saw a Ravenwood scrimmage early in the year and I would put Shelbyville's D-line against theirs any day.  However even with that I think it will be an easy road for a Beech vs Gallatin rematch  

27 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Not sure what in the world you are talking about on the roughing the passer penalty. They did not get the ball back. The rule says thee yards and nobody was past the two yard line whatsoever. It is clear. All three were blocking. The rule was meant for anybody going out for a pass that is ineligible to do so. This was not a penalty in any way, shape, or form.

2 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

Not sure what in the world you are talking about on the roughing the passer penalty. They did not get the ball back. The rule says thee yards and nobody was past the two yard line whatsoever. It is clear. All three were blocking. The rule was meant for anybody going out for a pass that is ineligible to do so. This was not a penalty in any way, shape, or form.

What is your take on Summit?   I have seen some video footage but nothing live.  

34 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

What is your take on Summit?   I have seen some video footage but nothing live.  

They have been banged up pretty badly. They may be getting healthier? Not sure. They have some great athletes including the QB and his brother, but physicality definitely creates problems for them. I like Gallatin a lot in that one. It just seems like a mismatch, especially in the cold weather. I always lean towards the more physical team at this point in the year. Summit is capable of big plays with their athletes, but over 48 minutes, I'll take Gallatin every time, something like 28-14.

3 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

They have been banged up pretty badly. They may be getting healthier? Not sure. They have some great athletes including the QB and his brother, but physicality definitely creates problems for them. I like Gallatin a lot in that one. It just seems like a mismatch, especially in the cold weather. I always lean towards the more physical team at this point in the year. Summit is capable of big plays with their athletes, but over 48 minutes, I'll take Gallatin every time, something like 28-14.

I watched some of the QB and he is very athletic and looked to have some speed with those strides.  Arm looked ok too.  Not really sure about the running backs.  Do they use several or have a main go to guy?  

7 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

So the commentators pointe said both plays out on tv and said exactly what i said for no reaseon?  You are a homer obviously.  Center and the slot were on the goal line.  But who cares that was a long time ago.  I agree with you on the Summit take 

21 minutes ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

So the commentators pointe said both plays out on tv and said exactly what i said for no reaseon?  You are a homer obviously.  Center and the slot were on the goal line.  But who cares that was a long time ago.  I agree with you on the Summit take 

Umm, I am staring at the video now! None of them is at the goal line or even close when the pass is thrown...2 1/2 yard line...ball at the 5. Period. That is a simple fact. Let’s move on from that bad call though. Don’t care what the commentators said...they were befuddled bigtime at the end! Bring on the playoffs!!