Rest in peace coach Orr

IMDog

I got to say goodbye today to one of the best coaches,and mentors a teenage boy could have,he was the type of coach that you would have ran through a wall for,his coaching style was very old school, simply because that was how he was,he had many sayings,but one that always stuck with me was prepare for the worst and pray for the best.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family,he will be sorely missed.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 12:22 AM, IMDog said:

I got to say goodbye today to one of the best coaches,and mentors a teenage boy could have,he was the type of coach that you would have ran through a wall for,his coaching style was very old school, simply because that was how he was,he had many sayings,but one that always stuck with me was prepare for the worst and pray for the best.My thoughts and prayers go out to his family,he will be sorely missed.

1st I had heard f this, sad news. If not for Coach Orr, Mike may have never had the opportunity to coach. He would have it no other way.

8 hours ago, pujo said:

1st I had heard f this, sad news. If not for Coach Orr, Mike may have never had the opportunity to coach. He would have it no other way.

EUHHItuX0AIxSf6?format=jpg&name=medium

ROAN MOUNTAIN, Tenn. — The Cloudland community honored one of their own this past week.

Legendary coach John Orr passed away on Wednesday, March 18, and Cloudland paid their respects by turning on the lights at the field that bears Orr’s name.

Orr served as head coach of the Cloudland football programs for 18-and-a-half seasons, from 1962 to 1968 and again from 1977 to 1988. He split the coaching duties with Gary Oaks in 1982 as Orr had to step aside for health issues in the second part of the season.

During his time at the helm of the Cloudland program, Orr was 90-98-3, with a conference mark of 48-33-1, a mark which included eight years in the Watauga Conference that consisted of larger schools.

After CHS moved to a Class A-only league, Orr led Cloudland to a 63-51 record, with a 34-3 league mark. Cloudland won nine league championships during Orr’s tenure, and he was a nine-time Coach of the Year.

The football program reached three bowl games and made four playoff appearances under the direction of Orr — including the program’s first two wins in 1987 and 1988.

Away from the football field, Orr led Cloudland baseball to its first district final in 1979 and had a hand in basketball as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:14 PM, pujo said:

One of the best stories I ever heard was from your brother, Bobby.  He said Mike took over the practices and told Bobby he better have his arse on the field by 3:00.  Bobby said he chewed him from start to finish and when they got in the car to go home, he kept chewing him until Bobby punched him in the face.  Then they got out and fought til they got tired and went home.  Funny stuff :lol: