2020 Betsy Cyclones

JMorton

22 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I get it and to be honest until recently (Last 10 years)  NE TN hasn't earned that respect in Football.  You have seen teams like Greeneville and Betsy implement things that have been done in Blount and Knox County for decades now (Mandatory work outs,  getting feeder programs in line with the high school program, running the same plays since you started playing football, investing money into their programs, etc.). I don't think any one is claiming Greeneville or Betsy are on the same level as Alcoa and Maryville, has the gap closed compared to previous years? Yes but once you stop working and learning thats when you see teams regress

I agree completely on all points. 

I know it's been a long time since the early 70's but before Greeneville and now Elizabethton again gained the much deserved respect around the state,there was a true beast in NET. A lot of teams have won back to back state titles in Tennessee but not to many have done it and been named National Champions like Tennessee High in 1972.So for the younger folks  that hang their hats on the last few decades,this area had one of the greatest teams in the states history before the more recent years...

Edited by BatmanLives
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, BatmanLives said:

I know it's been a long time since the early 70's but before Greeneville and now Elizabethton again gained the much deserved respect around the state,there was a true beast in NET. A lot of teams have won back to back state titles in Tennessee but not to many have done it and been named National Champions like Tennessee High in 1972.So for the younger folks  that hang their hats on the last few decades,this area had one of the greatest teams in the states history before the more recent years...

To young to see them play but have heard many stories growing up about that 72 team.  Had 8 guys sign D1 scholarships and the Most successful being Greg “Haysi” Jones who went on to be  a team captain in 1977 for UT and one of the Southeastern Conference’s top tacklers. He had a couple of 25 tackles against Alabama and Vanderbilt. 

Good Article about that team 5 years ago in the paper.

https://heraldcourier.com/sports/ths-1972-champs-to-remember/article_5f86bb2c-4de7-11e2-947d-001a4bcf6878.html

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Swipes said:

To young to see them play but have heard many stories growing up about that 72 team.  Had 8 guys sign D1 scholarships and the Most successful being Greg “Haysi” Jones who went on to be  a team captain in 1977 for UT and one of the Southeastern Conference’s top tacklers. He had a couple of 25 tackles against Alabama and Vanderbilt. 

Good Article about that team 5 years ago in the paper.

https://heraldcourier.com/sports/ths-1972-champs-to-remember/article_5f86bb2c-4de7-11e2-947d-001a4bcf6878.html

Nice article,being number two in the country for the 71 team would have seperated the TH program from 99% alone.Add a national title in 72 and it's hard to put many teams in the states history above that two year reign.

7 hours ago, Swipes said:

Please name those 4 schools then?  It's football and anything can happen.  Knox Central was beaten by Gibbs last year and also South Doyle (Who lost to AC) and ended up winning 5a.  Never is very strong word since Elizabethton was the last Public school to even give Alcoa a game in the play offs losing by 3 at Alcoa.  Other Public schools have beaten Alcoa in the past besides Maryville (Few and Far between I know but never say never) 

That's exactly what I was trying to convey in my post. Almost every Alcoa poster on the T admitted the EHS game was the true 3A title game. Never in my time here have I seen Alcoa give that much respect to another team as they EHS that season. EHS is building on a lot of momentum and things keep going in the right direction. Hopefully they can keep this up and give NET 4A 2 teams that can run the class.

8 minutes ago, EHSTrack06 said:

That's exactly what I was trying to convey in my post. Almost every Alcoa poster on the T admitted the EHS game was the true 3A title game. Never in my time here have I seen Alcoa give that much respect to another team as they EHS that season. EHS is building on a lot of momentum and things keep going in the right direction. Hopefully they can keep this up and give NET 4A 2 teams that can run the class.

Wasnt Elizabethton missing there starting QB Everett that game and Corey Russell had to play QB. He hurt his hand in the game and was limited a little.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BatmanLives said:

If it were up to me because of the possibility of a shortened season. I would have the Devils play Elizabethton in game one.Better edit,that is if we have a game one 

I believe there will be games but I don’t see Betsy playing the Devils the first game Batman.

32 minutes ago, Tab said:

If and I mean If the season goes on as planned what will teams do about fans? I figured it will be family only meaning dad and mom and brother and sister and grandparents.

That's pretty much what I just said on another thread.Let the kids families get first tickets and go from there.Put all of the games on TV or atleast a playback on YouTube for free every week.

• Like 1