A-AA Pound for Pound

rideOut

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, rideOut said:

I have been wanting to put together a P4P for A-AA for a while. Just to show some love and appreciation to the smaller schools that sometimes get overlooked. There are some real hammers in this division and some fun potential match ups come time for State. Just to make this clear this is my opinion and I encourage others to voice their own opinions as well.

1. Hunter Mason (Greeneville) - Sophomore (132) {Why: Ranked 19th in the country at 126 by Track wrestling; 1X State Champ}
  2. Daniel Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - Senior (126) {Why: 4X State Finalist; 3X State Champ}
  3. Kodiak Cannedy (Greeneville) - Junior (160) {Why: 2x State Champ; Several Appearances in National Tourneys}
  4. Wyatt McLemore (Eagleville) - Senior (170) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ; Undefeated the for the last two seasons}
  5. Garrett Foreman (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (170) {Why: 1X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  6. Caleb Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - Sophomore (113) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  7. Lance Williams (Alcoa) - Sophomore (HWT) {Why: Undefeated State Champ as a Freshman; Only loss this year was in OT to Mustafi Algarawi from PF (3-2)}
  8. Josh Parton (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (138) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  9. Noah Hill (Forrest) - Senior (195) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  10. Caleb Wolfe (Pigeon Forge) - Sophomore (220) {Why: 1X State Finalist; Win over 2X State Champ at Fandetti-Richardson in the Finals}

Honorable Mentions:

• Colby Dalon (Pigeon Forge) - Junior (N/A) {Why: 2X State Champ; appears to not be wrestling this year or else would be ranked top 5}
  • Jonathan Morton (Elizabethton) - Senior (220) {Why: 2X State Finalist; 2X State Champ; Lost to Caleb Wolfe from PF (7-4)}
  • Ethan Uhorchuk (Signal Mountain) - 8th Grade (106) {Why: OT loss to second ranked Cleveland; Several MS and Elem. State Championships and he's a Uhorchuk I mean do we expect anything less than a State Championship from him this year JK but not really}
  • Trevor Lewis (Hixson) - Senior (132) {Why: 3X State Finalist; 1X State Champ}
  • Riley Bennett (Fairview) - Senior (138) {Why: 3X State Finalist}
  • Parish Pacetti (Hixson) - Senior (220) {Why: 1X State Champ}

Just help me remember...exactly how many overtime’s did Deuce Morton wrestle that AAA kid before his match with Wolfe? Was it 3? I’d say anybody would be gassed after that. The 220 will be tough. I’m not betting  against Deuce. Until he looses it, he’s #1. I’m hoping he can “get one for the thumb!” 2xFootball and (hopefully) 3xWrestling State Champ. The hour approaches.....

4 minutes ago, BigDaddyDave said:

Just help me remember...exactly how many overtime’s did Deuce Morton wrestle that AAA kid before his match with Wolfe? Was it 3? I’d say anybody would be gassed after that. The 220 will be tough. I’m not betting  against Deuce. Until he looses it, he’s #1. I’m hoping he can “get one for the thumb!” 2xFootball and (hopefully) 3xWrestling State Champ. The hour approaches.....

I had a hard time with the 220 weight class, there are a lot of quality wrestlers and it'll be a fun bracket to watch in two weeks. Between Morton, Wolfe, Pacetti, and with Clevenger's win over Algarawi yesterday he could also make some noise. It'll definitely be a tough road for any of them to claim the title.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 10:51 AM, rideOut said:

I had a hard time with the 220 weight class, there are a lot of quality wrestlers and it'll be a fun bracket to watch in two weeks. Between Morton, Wolfe, Pacetti, and with Clevenger's win over Algarawi yesterday he could also make some noise. It'll definitely be a tough road for any of them to claim the title.

Morton defeated Wolfe soundly in the District. If you want to see all of the matches, go to Facebook and look for The Tom Taylor Sports Show. He did a live feed of the whole thing! There were, I believe, at least 4, maybe 5, defending state champions in the finals at various weight classes. Pigeon Forge has a heck of a team though. Greeneville is not to bad either. It’s worth a look.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, BigDaddyDave said:

Morton defeated Wolfe soundly in the District. If you want to see all of the matches, go to Facebook and look for The Tom Taylor Sports Show. He did a live feed of the whole thing! There were, I believe, at least 4, maybe 5, defending state champions in the finals at various weight classes. Pigeon Forge has a heck of a team though. Greeneville is not to bad either. It’s worth a look.

Big Daddy, my wifey and I watched Tom Taylor and the Tourney from beginning to end from 450 miles away. Loved it, the Deuce looked tough. Dominated the match. A lot of people look at points, but with studs that are skilled I watch control, movement which usually lead to the points needed.

Edited by noonesfool

On 2/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, BigDaddyDave said:

How can anyone even argue that Hunter Mason is not the pound for pound king? What you could argue is he might be the best pound for pound in any of the divisions and the kid's only in 10th grade! Someone said it already, but I think they're spot on... you have to look at what these guys have done outside of TN. For instance, the top guys in most of the weight classes rarely even wrestle a full 3 periods unless it's in the state semis or state finals, so just looking at their results in TN lends a shortsighted view. Hunter has an impressive resume on the national scene and is nationally ranked, which says it all for me. I find it hard to imagine even someone like Daniel Uhorchuk could keep it close with Hunter Mason if they were in the same weight. I would trade my Auburn-Alabama tix next year to see a Hunter Mason v. Garrison Dendy (DII, Baylor) match though!

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, rideOut said:

Good catch, Garrett Foreman appears to be wrestling at 145/152 this year not 170. And thanks for the heads up on Colby Dalon was not aware he went to Lakeway. They are pulling quite a bit of talent this year.

Why is Lakeway pulling quite a bit of talent?

15 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

How can anyone even argue that Hunter Mason is not the pound for pound king? What you could argue is he might be the best pound for pound in any of the divisions and the kid's only in 10th grade! Someone said it already, but I think they're spot on... you have to look at what these guys have done outside of TN. For instance, the top guys in most of the weight classes rarely even wrestle a full 3 periods unless it's in the state semis or state finals, so just looking at their results in TN lends a shortsighted view. Hunter has an impressive resume on the national scene and is nationally ranked, which says it all for me. I find it hard to imagine even someone like Daniel Uhorchuk could keep it close with Hunter Mason if they were in the same weight. I would trade my Auburn-Alabama tix next year to see a Hunter Mason v. Garrison Dendy (DII, Baylor) match though!

Would you trade your Iron Bowl tickets to watch Hunter Mason wrestle Cody Chittum?