Community Vikings

Unionvegas

What a year for the Vikings!  They graduated 4 Seniors last year and 3,000 points only to come back this year and do even bigger things.  The Vikings won District 12 AA and Region 6AA and beat a strong East Nashville team to make it to the glass house for the first time ever.  (Records have the Vikings being invited to a state tournament in 1944 but certainly not the state tournament as we know it today).  The team lost to a good Kingston team in the tournament but man what a ride it was.  There are 4 Seniors on this team that will forever go down in the record books for Community as the greatest team we have ever had since the school was established in 1925.  Also, none of these players have been signed.... 

Jackson Bailey:  All District 12 AA and All Region 6 AA 

Even Petrie: All District 12 AA and All Region 6 AA 

Will Reed: District 12 AA MVP and Region 6 AA tournament MVP and State Tournament all tourney team. 

Hats off to these guys and to coach Robbie Davis is leading this team to the greatest season ever!  

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great season for sure! I always enjoy watching Community boys team play every year. They are the team every year no one wants to play in this area during tournament time. I was able to watch the game online Thursday and for sure was a great game between two very equal teams. I thought the officiating was poor on both sides. Hope coach stays at Community because for us old timers they are fun to watch play. It's old school basketball and not a lot of running up and down the floor shooting bad shots. Community basketball in our little area for sure would be a great place to play basketball. Fan support is amazing as well. The gym in Unionville during regular conditions is usually always full for games and the games I have been to the student section is very involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was there and watched all those teams in the 90's.   I would also say that 89 was also one of the best teams we ever had as well.  There were certainly more talented teams than this years team, however the proof is always in the pudding.  Only one team has ever made it to Murfreesboro.  

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, crimsontide43 said:

The teams from the early `90s were the best in Unionville history

So hard to compare from decade to decade in any sport but doing what those teams did and do it in AA as one of the smallest in the state is impressive. When you finish in the Elite 8 hard to argue another team was better. The three point line has changed the game a lot. I do remember when my son played during those days playing Community was tough in the late 80’s and I can’t remember details but they made a sectional but couldn’t play at home for some reason. Not sure they made many sectional games after that in the 90’s. When I go to games I always like to check the banners in the gym. That’s usually a true measure of a program. Been a couple years but can’t remember many banners for Community in the early 90’s but I may be wrong. I know they have hung several over the last decade in boys and in girls. It’s truly a basketball program. For myself I think the last 2 teams are combined the best so far they have had. 2 sectionals, back to back region and district titles in Class AA and a state tourney appearance to go along with a combined 55-10 record is pretty impressive. 

15 hours ago, Unionvegas said:

1989 was the team that won the region but gym was too small to play sub-state at home and lost to Wayne County at Cascade.  The Vikings did not return again to Sub-State until 1998 and lost at DCA I believe.  Playing  in AA has made this program a ton better. 

I remember that now. It was in that old small gym that they played in. A lot of school including Forrest had one of those gyms. Another impressive thing about the program is, and I may be wrong on this , but since the 89 team to now Community I believe has only had 3 head coaches over those 30 plus years. That pretty impressive. Says a lot about the stability of the administration and the community supporting their team. And in my opinion 3 pretty good coaches at that. 

Let’s rank the more recent years, maybe excluding 1944,  just for fun Vegas!  I will take:

1.  2021 first state in 75 plus years 

2.  2020 ranked ahead of 89 because of AA

3.  1989  would have made it if played at home gym

4.  1998 would have made if not for private school 

5.  2013

6.  2017

5 hours ago, jrm2x said:

Let’s rank the more recent years, maybe excluding 1944,  just for fun Vegas!  I will take:

1.  2021 first state in 75 plus years 

2.  2020 ranked ahead of 89 because of AA

3.  1989  would have made it if played at home gym

4.  1998 would have made if not for private school 

5.  2013

6.  2017

Would take 88 and 94 over 13. and 88 over 17.