Kenwood Struggles

Tross

Kenwood is really struggling right now. They got blow out tonight by an average mt Juliet team by 18. I don't know what is going on there, but they have two great, great players in Mike Sampson and Antwan Harris, yet they don't touch the ball on offense. What is goin on? Why don't they both play on the perimeter so they can touch the ball on offense? Someone please respond who knows more about the situation, because this is bad.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ClarksvilleFan

One reason they are struggling is because they have no guard play at all. And the reason they don't play on the pereimeter is because for one Harris can't, and Sampson has been on the perimeter and had been ineffective. I think Kenwood who was picked by most to when the distict along with some choosing Northwest is the most overrated team in the area. Harris has been playing well, but Sampson has struggled all year. I know Gomab will disagree but they are not the best duo in the city, Carter and Reed are period!!! And I have always thought Sampson was a highly overrated player. Harris deserves the accolades he gets. Kenwood better find some guard play or it will be a long season.

I don't know the whole situation here....but I do know that Mike Sampson is in no way overrated, but rather underrated... Mike is a heck of a player, who is as versatile as they come. Very few players play with as much heart as Mike does... As for his teammate, Antwan is a big time player. I have heard they don't have much guard play, but these two should be putting up 20+ppg each... Mike is a true wing, but I agree with Clarksvillefan that Antwan is not ready to play on the perimeter... I don't know what could get this group going, but I hate seeing a team struggle so much with two individuals with as much talent and class as Antwan and Mike.... Oh, and yes, they are still the best duo in the area. Sometimes you have to look beyond stats.....

My main reasoning:

1)Both Antwan and Mike have proved time and time again against Nation-wide competition that they are legit. Mike hit for 24 points and 12 rebounds against now-Cincinnati starting F Eric Hicks in a tourney at Clemson... And Antwan has had so many clutch games against elite comp, I can't even begin to name them.....

2)Antwan and Mike showed without ANY DOUBT just a month or so ago at a Recruiting Showcase how outstanding a duo they are. They were 2 of the top 3 scorers in the entire camp. Mike ran PG, 2G, and WF at the camp, and was outstanding.

So, trust me, don't alwasy look at stats to judge a player (example: Twan and Mike compose of around 67% of their team's total points, while Drake and Calvin comprise around 50% of NE's scoring)...... Don't get me wrong--these are two of the best duo's in ALL of MIDDLE TN, but Antwan and Mike are the best in the area....

Not so fast my friend...As interesting as all these facts are.. I think you have left out a big part of the problem, and that is Mt. Juliet themselves. Along with the no gaurd play I didnt really see play in the post either Kenwood was shut down last night. As soon as they get off the bus they were D.O.A. As far as Kenwood getting beat by an "Average" team. I dont think throwing up an 18 pt. scoring margin against a team they were supposed to lose to is exactly "average" I dont believe making short work of the other team that was supposed to win that district NW is average or what about beating that so called 5th in Mid State McGavock team? I just thought I would leave yall with something to think about........

Not so fast my friend...As interesting as all these facts are.. I think you have left out a big part of the problem, and that is Mt. Juliet themselves. Along with the no gaurd play I didnt really see play in the post either Kenwood was shut down last night. As soon as they get off the bus they were D.O.A. As far as Kenwood getting beat by an "Average" team. I dont think throwing up an 18 pt. scoring margin against a team they were supposed to lose to is exactly "average" I dont believe making short work of the other team that was supposed to win that district NW is average or what about beating that so called 5th in Mid State McGavock team? I just thought I would leave yall with something to think about........

Guest ClarksvilleFan

Good post Gomab,

I understand all these things and I am a big supporter of AAU but it is a very wide open game with alot more offense than defense and that is a fact. When I say Carter and Reed are better I'm not just going by stats. They both score inside outside, and midrange. YOu keep saying that Sampson has heart and that's fine but heart got him zero points in last seasons district championship against Northeast. Are you saying Carter and Reed have no heart? They play for the roughest coach in the area who demands more out his players than anyone. This is a weak area for basketball and Sampson is struggling period. So in your OPINION Sampson and Harris might be the best duo in the area. But the fact is it is Carter and Reed and that is without question! We all have opinions and I respect your rankings and opinions but this time you are off base. You keep referring to what Sampson and Harris did in AAU, but we are talking right here right now. So they me POTENTIALLY be better but now they are not.

You're still going by stats, Cfan.... Or wins???? I don't know... Northeast has a better supporting cast by a long shot.... And you say NE duo can go inside and out? Who is Calvin going to post up, outside of 5'9 kids? Calvin is not in any way an inside player. Which of these four could post up a 6'8/6'9 player consistently? Sampson and Harris, both. Which can consistently hit shots from 17 feet and out? Sampson, Carter, and Reed. Which can put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop? Sampson, Harris, Carter, and Reed. Which can rebound with posts? Sampson and Harris. Which can hit the three consistsently? Carter. So if you go by the actual breakdown of what each can do, who is the more well rounded player(s)??? Who averages the biggest % of their team's point??? Harris and Sampson (67%). Who has been the better playes at Showcases??? Harris and Sampson. Out of 6 persons who watched all four at the Showcase, the EASY consensus was that the rankings of those four went 1)Harris 2)Sampson 3)Carter 4)Reed. That's all six people agreeing!!!!!! Not just my opinion.

As for Mt Juliet.... Kenwood is terrible. Northwest is terrible. McGavock is overrated. Mt Juliet is average. Simply put..............

i have heard a lot about sims and his importance to mj's team, but mj's golden gun is the injured josh helton.. he will come back and lead the team in everything when he is at full strength.. and dont think that he isnt one of the best shooters in the state either. i see ya j