LA vs Father Ryan Scrimmage

theawesomebro

14 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

next friday night, august 12th.  im hoping it will more like a game and less "controlled"...

Told you we scrimmaged you guys…the other sites are wrong!

last scrimmage before game time so I think it won’t be as controlled besides special teams.  We will definitely see how the Irish secondary is as I don’t think you can run against an underrated DL.  I do like the scrimmage schedule for the Irish this year having played BA, Ravenwood, and BGA already.

here is what I saw...

LA scored quick and often in the first half, still explosive.  sometimes passing was sharp, sometimes out of rhythm but probably better than last year.  o line is huge and gave QB plenty of time.  running game was good but not great.  D was stout and improved from last year as well.

Ryan had 2 really nice sharp passes to score in the first half but otherwise didn't move the ball much until after the half against some second team D.  was surprised they didn't throw at that young CB more.  big running back was tough to bring down.  D was good against the run but not great against the pass.  not much pressure on QB.  one nice INT.

41-7 at half.  LA up 48-24 when I left in the 4th.

purple panther were you there and if so what was your take?  do I have mustang tinted glasses?  : )

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

here is what I saw...

LA scored quick and often in the first half, still explosive.  sometimes passing was sharp, sometimes out of rhythm but probably better than last year.  o line is huge and gave QB plenty of time.  running game was good but not great.  D was stout and improved from last year as well.

Ryan had 2 really nice sharp passes to score in the first half but otherwise didn't move the ball much until after the half against some second team D.  was surprised they didn't throw at that young CB more.  big running back was tough to bring down.  D was good against the run but not great against the pass.  not much pressure on QB.  one nice INT.

41-7 at half.  LA up 48-24 when I left in the 4th.

purple panther were you there and if so what was your take?  do I have mustang tinted glasses?  : )

No tinted glasses.  O-line was huge and better than last year.  No drop off in size when second team came on.  Slight drop in QB play vs last year but Luther threw darts. Didn’t see you guys run too much but didn’t have to.  Good timing routes kept the defense off balance.  They only faced a 3 man rush most of the night.  LA defense was sharp and I like the muddle huddle approach giving the QB less time to identify keys.  Looks like both team’s starters played halfway through the 3rd and I left in the 4th.  

Ryan will need to change somethings since this isn’t the 80’s.  Teams pass 1st and run second.  A good run defense is out the window in 2022 vs the passing teams.  First year QB and 1st year OC will need some time.  

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

No tinted glasses.  O-line was huge and better than last year.  No drop off in size when second team came on.  Slight drop in QB play vs last year but Luther threw darts. Didn’t see you guys run too much but didn’t have to.  Good timing routes kept the defense off balance.  They only faced a 3 man rush most of the night.  LA defense was sharp and I like the muddle huddle approach giving the QB less time to identify keys.  Looks like both team’s starters played halfway through the 3rd and I left in the 4th.  

Ryan will need to change somethings since this isn’t the 80’s.  Teams pass 1st and run second.  A good run defense is out the window in 2022 vs the passing teams.  First year QB and 1st year OC will need some time.  

IMO, for Father Ryan to get to where they are able to really compete with he best teams they must completely change their approach.  The Board of Trust, administration, parents and alumni must make the decision that they will do what it takes to win.  

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

those two long pass plays for that first TD by ryan were super sharp.  like I said, I am surprised they didn't do that more but that QB has an arm.  

yeah, one of my more knowledgeable friends said he thought the whole goal for the LA offense was to give the QB confidence.  I think they accomplished that for the most part.  

middle schoolers play your feeder program on thursday.  should be a good matchup.  we got some new 8th graders who have upped the ante.

5 minutes ago, cbg said:

IMO, for Father Ryan to get to where they are able to really compete with he best teams they must completely change their approach.  The Board of Trust, administration, parents and alumni must make the decision that they will do what it takes to win.  

We always agree on that @cbg.  6 years with a coach who has never finished in the top 4 in the East/Middle division.  Ryan got rid of alumni coaches for less.  Next is culture shift.  With McIntyre gone hopefully the Irish go back to the old days where students of doctors and mechanics share the classroom and field.  Board is changing and took a big step with hiring Davis.  Hopefully he moves quickly.  Those changes spell success for Ryan.

3 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

those two long pass plays for that first TD by ryan were super sharp.  like I said, I am surprised they didn't do that more but that QB has an arm.  

yeah, one of my more knowledgeable friends said he thought the whole goal for the LA offense was to give the QB confidence.  I think they accomplished that for the most part.  

middle schoolers play your feeder program on thursday.  should be a good matchup.  we got some new 8th graders who have upped the ante.

I told one of the middle school coaches last night to look out for your version of Michael Vick.  He is fast and a rifle for a guy that young.

4 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

We always agree on that @cbg.  6 years with a coach who has never finished in the top 4 in the East/Middle division.  Ryan got rid of alumni coaches for less.  Next is culture shift.  With McIntyre gone hopefully the Irish go back to the old days where students of doctors and mechanics share the classroom and field.  Board is changing and took a big step with hiring Davis.  Hopefully he moves quickly.  Those changes spell success for Ryan.

Paul Davis is a good man that has more than paid his dues!  For the life of me I don’t know how any of the faculty stayed around with Jim McIntyre.  With that being said I would like to see a priest as the head of the school and religion department, with Paul being allowed to handle the day to day operations much like he is doing now.  They may also find that by having a priest as the head of the school the donations increase significantly. It’s difficult for most Catholics to tell a priest or nun no when they knock on the door asking for money.  I know that the Dominican nuns have never had any problems raising massive amounts of money for their schools.  I have always  said that the best thing about the old Father Ryan is that you had the girl who’s father was a blue collar worker dating the boys who’s father was a doctor and living in Belle Meade.  Those relationships made for a great environment that was very inclusive.  

Edited by cbg