Heritage VS. TKA Scrimmage

rebeldevil

HHS's lack of an offensive line is really going to hurt them. They didn't have much of a run game and the qb was running for his life for the amount of time that I watched. Not a fan of the spread offense-especially with a bad line. D was OK with the strength being in the front 7-the DB's are a weak point for the D. The HHS-WB game should be a fun one to watch. I've seen both teams scrimmage and there are very similar in talent and execution. 

5 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Before Benny Hammons arrived at Gatlinburg Pittman they were also everyone's whipping boy back in the day.

Did Pittman ever have their own high school? See the old Gatlinburg high school listed but don't even know where that was located.  Actually was showing my sister the old Athens JL cook high school. Not much is left besides what almost looks like a church their mascot was the gators. Had a couple of good basketball teams and mediocre football teams. Wish they had a little more info on the black schools other than Kingsport Douglas 

Alcoa hall

Knox Austin

And Chattanooga Riverside

Anybody catch the football preview in TDT?

From the daily times:

"The hire of Osovet and a coaching staff loaded with former collegiate assistants was accompanied by a swell of energy within the community."

Loaded. Loaded with former collegiate assistants. Did I miss something? Did they in fact mean loaded with former middle school assistants? Osovet and the OC are the only former collegiate assistants, unless you are counting the ~1 year of experience the Co-DC had as an UNDER GRAD assistant at UT before his 1 yr stint at Powell. 

LOADED.

And then there's this:

"Heritage is not setting an expectation that includes a specific number of wins — at least not publicly — but there is a confidence that the days of 0-10 seasons are no more."

It was hard to miss the video interview that was shared everywhere with Coach O himself stating that he'd be surprised if they didn't win 3 or 4 games this year. 

There was also a mention of a slower paced offense the past few years at HHS. I guess Osovet will find out himself that the reasoning behind that was not to shorten the games like mentioned, it was in fact due to the knowledge and execution ability of the players. When HHS went up tempo at any point in the game, mistakes were always made, passes were not completed properly, interceptions, routes were miscommunicated among other things. When you do not have the athletes to go up tempo (especially lacking an o-line), it won't work. From what I've heard over the past couple of days, that's exactly what happened in the scrimmage against TKA. We all know that it takes time to build a program and to change a complete offense. But just because an offense worked at a community college level, it does not mean that it will work anywhere you place it. 

There seems to be quite a bit of miscommunication within the program, parents, and community. It's pretty evident on social media and the talk around town. He preaches consistency, but surrounding himself with those who cannot be consistent.

I guess we'll just see what happens.

Edited by ftbllfan23

47 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

Did Pittman ever have their own high school? See the old Gatlinburg high school listed but don't even know where that was located.  Actually was showing my sister the old Athens JL cook high school. Not much is left besides what almost looks like a church their mascot was the gators. Had a couple of good basketball teams and mediocre football teams. Wish they had a little more info on the black schools other than Kingsport Douglas 

Alcoa hall

Knox Austin

And Chattanooga Riverside

If I'm correct Pittman had a school but to small to have a football team. I know Gatlinburg was the Mountaineers AND LAST YEAR WAS IN 1961. Rockwood had a black school until it all integrated in the 63-64 school year and was closed along with South Harriman and all students went to either Rockwood or Harriman. If you have ever been to Harriman and get off the interstate onto 29 going into town South Harriman was located at the corner where you make a right onto 27 going into town. There is a Dollar General Market store on the same lot the school was once located with a marker out by the road with an emblem of a Pirate which was the school mascot. The football field was a couple blocks back down 29 where Bowers Elementary School is located. The school was built pretty much built over top of the football field but the stands were on the back hillside of the school. 

Before Gatlinburg Pittman High School came into existence, Pittman Center High School and Pi Beta Phi High School combined to create the existing school. I believe both were K-12 schools. You can go to Pi Beta Phi's website and read their history. It is quite interesting on how they were created. GPHS opened in the early 60's in it's current location. Hope this information helps. 

22 minutes ago, ftbllfan23 said:

From the daily times:

"The hire of Osovet and a coaching staff loaded with former collegiate assistants was accompanied by a swell of energy within the community."

Loaded. Loaded with former collegiate assistants. Did I miss something? Did they in fact mean loaded with former middle school assistants? Osovet and the OC are the only former collegiate assistants, unless you are counting the ~1 year of experience the Co-DC had as an UNDER GRAD assistant at UT before his 1 yr stint at Powell. 

LOADED.

And then there's this:

"Heritage is not setting an expectation that includes a specific number of wins — at least not publicly — but there is a confidence that the days of 0-10 seasons are no more."

It was hard to miss the video interview that was shared everywhere with Coach O himself stating that he'd be surprised if they didn't win 3 or 4 games this year. 

There was also a mention of a slower paced offense the past few years at HHS. I guess Osovet will find out himself that the reasoning behind that was not to shorten the games like mentioned, it was in fact due to the knowledge and execution ability of the players. When HHS went up tempo at any point in the game, mistakes were always made, passes were not completed properly, interceptions, routes were miscommunicated among other things. When you do not have the athletes to go up tempo (especially lacking an o-line), it won't work. From what I've heard over the past couple of days, that's exactly what happened in the scrimmage against TKA. We all know that it takes time to build a program and to change a complete offense. But just because an offense worked at a community college level, it does not mean that it will work anywhere you place it. 

There seems to be quite a bit of miscommunication within the program, parents, and community. It's pretty evident on social media and the talk around town. He preaches consistency, but surrounding himself with those who cannot be consistent.

Hope they do well but not expecting anything or some kind of miracle. Both William Blount and Heritage not only had rough seasons last year but a new school has opened and those players came from somewhere which only makes matters worse. That's why I've said don't matter what class these two schools are in due to the new school their still playing two classes over their heads.

6 minutes ago, FastGunFIfe said:

Before Gatlinburg Pittman High School came into existence, Pittman Center High School and Pi Beta Phi High School combined to create the existing school. I believe both were K-12 schools. You can go to Pi Beta Phi's website and read their history. It is quite interesting on how they were created. GPHS opened in the early 60's in it's current location. Hope this information helps. 

Where was the old Gatlinburg High School located.

It was located on the campus of where Pi Beta Phi Elementary exists today (Next to Anakeesta in downtown Gatlinburg). You were indeed correct that their mascot name was Mountaineers and they were blue and white. Once the high school students moved to the current location (GPHS), the school became a K to 8th grade until 2020. It is now a K to 6th grade as the 7th/8th grade students moved to the newly created Gatlinburg Pittman Junior High School. By the way, the elementary school colors are still blue and white and they are the Mountaineers. 

1 hour ago, FastGunFIfe said:

It was located on the campus of where Pi Beta Phi Elementary exists today (Next to Anakeesta in downtown Gatlinburg). You were indeed correct that their mascot name was Mountaineers and they were blue and white. Once the high school students moved to the current location (GPHS), the school became a K to 8th grade until 2020. It is now a K to 6th grade as the 7th/8th grade students moved to the newly created Gatlinburg Pittman Junior High School. By the way, the elementary school colors are still blue and white and they are the Mountaineers. 

I went on Google Earth and pulled that up. I know where that is at but never have noticed a school there in all the time I have went there. Did Gatlinburg play their football games there on campus also. I noticed a decent size school yard so I figured they might have. I have seen the last 6 or 7 yearbooks from the old Gatlinburg High online. What website has info on the old Gatlinburg High. Thanks for all the info you have helped with.

7 hours ago, coachspanky said:

HHS's lack of an offensive line is really going to hurt them. They didn't have much of a run game and the qb was running for his life for the amount of time that I watched. Not a fan of the spread offense-especially with a bad line. D was OK with the strength being in the front 7-the DB's are a weak point for the D. The HHS-WB game should be a fun one to watch. I've seen both teams scrimmage and there are very similar in talent and execution. 

Agree on the offensive line. The QB had no time, was running from pressure and missed first six or seven throws to start game. They got better as the scrimmage progressed but it was vs. TKA’s defense which isn’t even close to what they’ll face during the season. Can’t imagine how they go up tempo, repeatedly go three and out, and not wear out their D.

3 hours ago, ftbllfan23 said:

From the daily times:

LOADED.

And then there's this:

Certainly good at working the news media and using social media. Lots of hype around the program though some of it doesn’t reflect reality like the claims about the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1