WB GOVS @ CLINTON DRAGONS

92Dragon

14 hours ago, GovForce1 said:

Someone in the Heritage thread made a point about Heritage that I think also applies to WB. Someone basically said that Heritage's offensive execution has been sloppy for years now and it would make more sense to slow things down and make things simpler and easier instead of staying up tempo and fast with the offense. It has been the same thing for WB. Granted, WB usually has  better athletes than Heritage. In the recent past we have lived and died by big plays, but we have also turned the ball over a lot and gotten a lot of penalties. I'm encouraged by what I saw in the jamboree. We played a clean quarter and kept the ball away from Maryville for most of it. I'm excited to see how we stack up against Clinton this Friday night. This will be the only game I'll get to go to this year, so I hope the Govs put forth a good effort.

Everyone became enamored with spread, up tempo offenses a few years ago and started running them even when they didn't fit their situation. With low numbers which means lots of two way and young players you want to slow the game down rather than speed it up. A quick three and out is a killer when you're undermanned and have less talent than your opponent. Even if you don't score, every minute of ball control on offense means the other team doesn't have the ball to score. Wing-T, flexbone, and other run-based offenses give you the ability to control the clock. They also offer great blocking angles and misdirection so it is possible to have some success against bigger, stronger, faster opponents. That's why you see them at Army, Navy & Air Force. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pinocchio007 said:

What makes you so sure about the 40+ ? 

I assume this is because they held maryville to 7 points in one quarter of action :bored:

I said the days of giving up 40+ points to (and here's the key word) everyone are over. If you can keep the ball out of the other team's hands and eat clock you are going to give up less points automatically. I just know it left a bad taste in my mouth to see us get boat raced so bad by Karns last year. It was so bad that they put in a third string back at the end and he had a 50-yard touchdown run. That was flat out brutal.

Edited by GovForce1

13 hours ago, camppack said:

Everyone became enamored with spread, up tempo offenses a few years ago and started running them even when they didn't fit their situation. With low numbers which means lots of two way and young players you want to slow the game down rather than speed it up. A quick three and out is a killer when you're undermanned and have less talent than your opponent. Even if you don't score, every minute of ball control on offense means the other team doesn't have the ball to score. Wing-T, flexbone, and other run-based offenses give you the ability to control the clock. They also offer great blocking angles and misdirection so it is possible to have some success against bigger, stronger, faster opponents. That's why you see them at Army, Navy & Air Force. 

It's amazing how much of a difference it has made in our ability to run the ball. Last year we got zero push. The majority of our carries were for no gain or we even lost a yard or two a lot of times. We even sort of struggled to run the ball against Oliver Springs in 2020. Oddly enough, we had a really good game running the ball against Sevier County a few years ago, but that was mostly because their defense was like my electric magnet football board game I had as a kid where all the little players just moved across the board without any rhyme or reason.

Edited by GovForce1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:47 PM, GovForce1 said:

Yes. I'm not making any predictions about wins and losses, but I'm convinced the days of us giving up 40+ to everyone are over. It looks like they will be able to at least move the ball on most teams and eat clock.

William Blount averaged 20.9 points a game last year on offense and gave up an average of 32.9 on defense.

There were only 4 games last year that WB gave up 40 or more points.

1 hour ago, GovForce1 said:

Lol! We have given up 40 points a lot in the past decade.

What should be expected with this year's defense? Can the defense make the stops to help the offense maintain their wing-t identity? That offensive identity is great when you are in the ballgame. It's tough when you are behind big.

56 minutes ago, Traitor said:

What should be expected with this year's defense? Can the defense make the stops to help the offense maintain their wing-t identity? That offensive identity is great when you are in the ballgame. It's tough when you are behind big.

That is the most important question for WB this season and one that I don't think anyone knows the answer to yet. 

2 hours ago, GovForce1 said:

Lol! We have given up 40 points a lot in the past decade.

Going to be a tough one for the GOVS come Friday evening. Offense can run run run but, once they get down 21-0. I would bet my 3rd grandchild, that Offense gets into panic mood. IMO

Clinton 35

WB 7 

Only reason they do not score 40 on the Govs is due to the running clock and Govs manage the first possession by chewing up a ton of clock.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinocchio007 said:

Going to be a tough one for the GOVS come Friday evening. Offense can run run run but, once they get down 21-0. I would bet my 3rd grandchild, that Offense gets into panic mood. IMO

Clinton 35

WB 7 

Only reason they do not score 40 on the Govs is due to the running clock and Govs manage the first possession by chewing up a ton of clock.  

I actually agree 100% with this post.

5 hours ago, Traitor said:

What should be expected with this year's defense? Can the defense make the stops to help the offense maintain their wing-t identity? That offensive identity is great when ou are in the ballgame. It's tough when you are behind big.

The defense will probably struggle at first but I expect it to improve.  I think the offense will have consistent success running the ball. I don't see any teams we play completely shutting us down. The difference there is we don't have the unwinnable games on our schedule anymore lol 

Edited by GovForce1

1 hour ago, FootballFan4044 said:

This game will be ugly, slow and mistake ridden. One team that’s horrible plagued with the Transfer to any other Blount County School disease and the other horrible coached. Should be a 21-14 or so game with Clinton’s athletes making just enough plays. 

:roflol: