Region 7-3A - Now that region play has started

CHARGERFAN

All six teams in the region played tonight. 

Covington beat Millington 44-0

Dyersburg beat Bolton 46-12 (or similar score)

Ripley beat Bolivar 47-12 ( I think)

Anyway, there were 3 big winners, while three teams were “blown out”. I think tonight’s results show who can compete in the region and who can’t. I saw that the last 3A poll had Bolivar among those “also receiving votes”. I’m not sure what those voters were smoking, but Ripley showed tonight that they were way off in that vote. 

Let’s see how this develops as the season plays out.

10 hours ago, TENNFOOTBALL88 said:

I say Covington, Ripley, Dyersburg 1,2,3 in that order. Unless Millington gets their starting QB back in the next couple weeks then they could play spoiler in there somewhere. 

Millington looked very disorganized. Lots of pre-snap penalties. Also, very undisciplined, with 3 or 4 personal foul penalties. They would have to really turn things around to play a role in the race for the region title.

• 2 weeks later...

For Sept. 16, all region teams play within the region, and the results will help to see who has a shot to win the region. The games are:

Covington @ Ripley

Bolivar @ Dyersburg

Bolton @ Millington

Personally, I expect Covington and Dyersburg to win.  I'm not sure on the Bolton - Millington game. This is an inter-county contest in Shelby county and I'm sure that there is some rivalry there. Massey picks Millington to win 34-21.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

47 minutes ago, SuperBowlKid1489 said:

In this region there is a clear cut top 3. Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg will clearly be the top 3 seeds in this region. The Bolivar-Millington matchup will be the one to watch to see who can take that final playoff spot. I like Bolivar to pull that one out!:thumb:

Serious question. How good is Ripley?  North Side has been outscored 109-0 on the year and Ripley struggled to beat them 8-0.  That is a huge red flag to me. 

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Serious question. How good is Ripley?  North Side has been outscored 109-0 on the year and Ripley struggled to beat them 8-0.  That is a huge red flag to me. 

I don’t know either. I’ll let you know after tomorrow night. That Northside score has me wondering too. Has Northside settled in and improved for their new coach? Did Ripley fool us in its first three games before settling back to a lower level of play last week?

18 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That is the question we all want answered and we will get that answer tonight. The thing about Ripley over the past few years is you never know what team is going to show up on Friday night, the team that looks like than can compete with anybody or the team that's average at best. They have a lot to prove tonight to show whether they are contender or pretender, we shall see what happens! :thumb:

• Thanks 1

And then there were two. Ripley falls to Covington, as Dyersburg roars past Bolivar. So, Covington and Dyersburg are both 2-0 in the region. This sets up a head-to-head matchup between the two on Sept. 30 in Covington. The Chargers have an open date next week, so you can be sure that Coach J.R. Kirby will have his troops ready. I’ll bet that he will be reminding his squad that D’burg won both the regular-season game and the playoff game last year. Both of those happened to be in Dyersburg. Now the Trojans will have to come to us.

Ain’t high school football fun?

• 2 weeks later...

Covington defeats Dyersburg to go to 3-0 in the region. With just Bolton and Bolivar left to play, it appears that the Chargers have a very good chance of winning the region title. 

After seeing that Millington beat Ripley, the race for second place could be wide open. What do y’all think?

I still can’t believe that the first 3A poll this season had 3 or 4 voters voting for Bolivar. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

On 9/4/2022 at 4:28 AM, TENNFOOTBALL88 said:

I say Covington, Ripley, Dyersburg 1,2,3 in that order. Unless Millington gets their starting QB back in the next couple weeks then they could play spoiler in there somewhere. 

Well my prediction was right. Not sure if Millington getting their QB back had anything to do with them playing spoiler in my 1,2,3 prediction:D    Looks like it may come down to the Battle of the Trojans  to determine that 2nd spot. Did anyone see the Ripley/Millington game? Or know if Ripley has a replay of it online somewhere? We still have Ripley and Millington to play.