Anderson County vs. Elizabethan

MAVERICK1995

On 9/23/2022 at 9:13 AM, BigPapi said:

Great Post! A lot of history being discussed in this thread. Great info!

My Dad was a Life Long Cyclone after he moved our Family to Stoney Creek after getting a Job at the Old Beaunit Rayon Plant in 1970. He played on some great teams in 55 an 56 under Al Rotella at Unicoi Co and used to rib Hack Hyder (long time Betsy Asst) about beating some additionally good Cyclone teams back in the day. Dad had Season Tickets “2 Rows below the e” in Cyclones written on the press box at BC Stadium. That’s how i knew how to find him when i was a kid and student running around at halftime or going to get him a cup of coffee. We traveled together to every game in 81 an 82 as my brother was a starter on D. . Losing that last game at DB by 6 in 82 and being that close to an undefeated season was tough. Doubly so because Dad worked in Kingsport at Eastman and had to deal with some friendly ribbing from his coworkers. 
When Dad passed unexpectedly in 92 the first person at the visitation was Coach Rider. . It really meant a lot to my brother and our Family. I’m sure there are Lots more stories about the character Coach Rider displayed during his lifetime. He is still sorely missed by everyone who’s Life he touched. 

1 hour ago, IPOPU2022 said:

My Dad was a Life Long Cyclone after he moved our Family to Stoney Creek after getting a Job at the Old Beaunit Rayon Plant in 1970. He played on some great teams in 55 an 56 under Al Rotella at Unicoi Co and used to rib Hack Hyder (long time Betsy Asst) about beating some additionally good Cyclone teams back in the day. Dad had Season Tickets “2 Rows below the e” in Cyclones written on the press box at BC Stadium. That’s how i knew how to find him when i was a kid and student running around at halftime or going to get him a cup of coffee. We traveled together to every game in 81 an 82 as my brother was a starter on D. . Losing that last game at DB by 6 in 82 and being that close to an undefeated season was tough. Doubly so because Dad worked in Kingsport at Eastman and had to deal with some friendly ribbing from his coworkers. 
When Dad passed unexpectedly in 92 the first person at the visitation was Coach Rider. . It really meant a lot to my brother and our Family. I’m sure there are Lots more stories about the character Coach Rider displayed during his lifetime. He is still sorely missed by everyone who’s Life he touched. 

Wonderful memories Ipop. Coach Rider was a wonderful man. As a school administrator, I was able to get to know him somewhat. But it was as a young defensive line coach at Greeneville, I had my first personal encounter with coach. It was the mid late 80’s and we beat Betsy in a very tough game. I heard a strong voice call my name out. I turned and saw Coach Rider’s stern face and he smiled and said nice job upfront coach. I said 2 words, thank you. My head coach and AD, Coach Sorrells told me later, Coach Rider wanted to know who Greeneville’s D line coach was. I would like to add the word GENEROUS to Coach Rider’s legacy.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Wonderful memories Ipop. Coach Rider was a wonderful man. As a school administrator, I was able to get to know him somewhat. But it was as a young defensive line coach at Greeneville, I had my first personal encounter with coach. It was the mid late 80’s and we beat Betsy in a very tough game. I heard a strong voice call my name out. I turned and saw Coach Rider’s stern face and he smiled and said nice job upfront coach. I said 2 words, thank you. My head coach and AD, Coach Sorrels told me later, Coach Rider wanted to know who Greeneville’s D line coach was. I would like to add the word GENEROUS to Coach Rider’s legacy.

Great story and Coach Rider was a dandy.

1 hour ago, lawnman said:

Great story and Coach Rider was a dandy.

There’s a story out there on the UT website asking Jason about the 30 on 30 Documentary. They asked him about all the life lessons from his Grandad. He recounted a time when as  a Senior he slipped out of a study hall class for a quick haircut and was gone less than 30mins. As he returned and rounded the corner Rider met him. There were no words exchanged as Coach stuck out an open hand. Jason reached in his pocket and handed over his car keys. He said “I didn’t get em back for 2wks”. . On a side note I was really moved by the scene on 30/30 where Jason is reflecting “this is where it all began” as he walked the field at BC towering over his Grandad with his arm draped over his shoulder. 

2 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Wonderful memories Ipop. Coach Rider was a wonderful man. As a school administrator, I was able to get to know him somewhat. But it was as a young defensive line coach at Greeneville, I had my first personal encounter with coach. It was the mid late 80’s and we beat Betsy in a very tough game. I heard a strong voice call my name out. I turned and saw Coach Rider’s stern face and he smiled and said nice job upfront coach. I said 2 words, thank you. My head coach and AD, Coach Sorrells told me later, Coach Rider wanted to know who Greeneville’s D line coach was. I would like to add the word GENEROUS to Coach Rider’s legacy.

I remember we lost a Game in the mid 80’s at Burley. Ahead 21-0 at the half only to lose 21-28. GHS had a Man playing tailback and just ran it down our throat. I bet Rider threw his cap a dozen times that night. Sorrell’s and Rider had a great deal of respect for each other. . I was carrying the sticks as a last min sub in 79 when the Cyclones were dominated at BC for 3 1/2 Qtrs before miraculously scoring 2Tds as time expired to Win 14-12. 
Sorrells was having a major Fit at the end. . I distinctly remember both coaches with hands on each other’s shoulders talking for several minutes. 
Much respect for both men. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

There’s a story out there on the UT website asking Jason about the 30 on 30 Documentary. They asked him about all the life lessons from his Grandad. He recounted a time when as  a Senior he slipped out of a study hall class for a quick haircut and was gone less than 30mins. As he returned and rounded the corner Rider met him. There were no words exchanged as Coach stuck out an open hand. Jason reached in his pocket and handed over his car keys. He said “I didn’t get em back for 2wks”. . On a side note I was really moved by the scene on 30/30 where Jason is reflecting “this is where it all began” as he walked the field at BC towering over his Grandad with his arm draped over his shoulder. 

That was a great moment.

22 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

There’s a story out there on the UT website asking Jason about the 30 on 30 Documentary. 

What was the subject of the 30 for 30?  I thought I'd seen them all, but must have missed some, because I don't recall seeing Jason in any of them.  I seem to recall an ESPN E60 special that featured him, but don't remember the details. 

On 9/24/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mavericksinflight said:

It will be a Great playoffs season. I think the key difference for the Mavs is getting healthy before then. We do need the Beast (Noe) back for the playoffs or every contender game will be too close. With Moog and add Noe that very well could be the difference in the playoffs.

They have no clue what is coming their way coach.

• Upvote 1