Scotts Hill @ Perry County

PCsupporter4life

Perry County has had to play #3 ranked Dresden, 3A Community and #1 ranked McKenzie the last three weeks. The last five weeks of the season seem to be a lot better on a competitive level for PC.

vs. Scotts Hill (2-3)

at #10 McEwen (3-1)

at South Fulton (2-2)

vs. Bruceton (0-5)

vs. Gleason (2-3)

Now, this is the final non-Region game for the Vikings this season. It was 28-14 Community at the half, PC beat Middleton on the road 38-20 (38-14 with main team), led Hickman County 8-6 in the fourth quarter, can they find some momentum in the next few weeks? We shall see but it's going to be a tall task. This game against Scotts Hill should be a good game but Scotts Hill has some big boys and good playmakers, can PC slow them down and get big stops? Can they score? There is one factor, this game is going to be on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at Viking Stadium and not on Friday, because of the referee shortage. Does that help or hurt PC or Scotts Hill?

Edited by PCsupporter4life

Scotts Hill may get a player or two back for this one, but a lot of our speed and playmaking ability will be on crutches. Line may be getting healthier, but at least one will still be out from injury and another from suspension...bottom line is our reserves have stepped in and done a decent job, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Bad thing is that even though some younger players have gotten better, our depth (which we thought would be better) is lacking from the injuries. This one should be interesting...I don't know if our line can pressure the Viking QB enough to keep him from completing drive sustaining passes as they stand for this game. I think our run defense should be OK without them, but the question is offense. We rely on the run to maintain momentum, and pass when teams sell out to stop it. If we have trouble blocking between the tackles, it could be a long frustrating night full of punts.

2 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

I've seen Perry and Gleason, but not SH. If SH can handle the big men up front for Gleason, this game shouldn't be close.

Just got our best (imo) offensive lineman back from an injury, but our #1 pass rusher will be out...not sure about the rest, but at full strength our line is pretty good. Linebackers are solid, and rumor is one of our projected starters will finally be back for his first action of the season. If our DB's are healthy enough to play in their positions, they're good in coverage and against the run...if not, suspect against both on busted assignments.

To answer your question, we should be ok up front with what I think will be available, but not sure. I usually follow PC enough to have a feel for what they like to do and what they are capable of, but this year not so much. I know that they've been getting better over the last couple of years, and showed some promise with their passing game last season against us.

That's everything I've got...you say you've seen PC, so what's their offense/defense look like?

To put things in perspective here, I saw both teams play my Dresden Lions.

That said, Perry has a half dozen kids that play their hearts out from start to finish. The rest just don't have the will or fire, at least in this point in their career, or on that night. My intentions are not to squash kids/programs and their play/dreams. Nothing could be farther.  As well as the fact that this is the first time in my life I've ever seen Perry County football combined with reading PCSupporter's recent columns about how they are able to even field a team; I say I'm glad to see the kids competing. But I simply don't have much history with them to draw upon.

Offense? Defense? It was the same for the most part. Even with 2 miles of penalty flags, DHS was too much for them on that night, but you couldn't tell it by those kids in the box. They tried and then tried some more. DHS is kinda good this year, so it may not be a fair shake to say much about PC. Playing teams like PC & McEwen that are so far away is just not good competition in 1A to me. No offense to them, there is just no rivalry, history, parents don't work in each others town, etc, there's just so much disconnect.

Edited by SpottedGoat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpottedGoat said:

To put things in perspective here, I saw both teams play my Dresden Lions.

That said, Perry has a half dozen kids that play their hearts out from start to finish. The rest just don't have the will or fire, at least in this point in their career, or on that night. My intentions are not to squash kids/programs and their play/dreams. Nothing could be farther.  As well as the fact that this is the first time in my life I've ever seen Perry County football combined with reading PCSupporter's recent columns about how they are able to even field a team; I say I'm glad to see the kids competing. But I simply don't have much history with them to draw upon.

Offense? Defense? It was the same for the most part. Even with 2 miles of penalty flags, DHS was too much for them on that night, but you couldn't tell it by those kids in the box. They tried and then tried some more. DHS is kinda good this year, so it may not be a fair shake to say much about PC. Playing teams like PC & McEwen that are so far away is just not good competition in 1A to me. No offense to them, there is just no rivalry, history, parents don't work in each others town, etc, there's just so much disconnect.

I couldn't agree more SpottedGoat. The disconnect between schools and "rivalries" are not there because Perry County has only had a team since 1997 (99 was the first varsity season), but before that they played from 65-72 and closed the program again due to money and interest. So PC is totally different from some of these "football loving" schools. PC ultimately is a Basketball school (3rd in state titles, 4th in total State appearances, 3rd in Final Fours, etc.) but Football is getting more popular. It was great from 1999-2011. Besides going 0-10 in 2007 (mainly due to a new coach from out of town) they went to the playoffs every year or they would go 5-5 or 6-4. They were very competitive. Then they went to the 1A Semi-Finals in 2010. But since 2011, they have only won more than 2 games in a season, once (2013, 3-7). Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or stepping on toes or anything like that, but Perry County and McEwen should not be in this region. McKenzie and Dresden probably should be 2A, maybe not because of numbers but both those teams would have better competition in 2A because of the talent that is there. Perry County may be a big county, but only 8,000 people live in it and most of them are 40+. Schools are finally getting bigger but the most they will have in high school will be probably around 320 in the next few years. We don't have another school in the county so kids can't go to one school one year and then go to another school the next because it's open enrollment. Linden and Lobelville are 30-45 minutes away from another county or city. Can't get more rural then that. Its hard to compete against teams that have the facilities (we play in the outfield of the baseball field) and have sponsors/ boosters that help in getting money to update the facilities. The junior pro is finally getting better because they are playing Dickson, Fairview, Waverly, Mt. Pleasant, etc. and the Minors (8-9-10 yr olds) are 4-1 and averaging 42 points a game. Hopefully they will continue to get better and one day Perry County might be back to the way they were in the 2000's but until then, they do not need to be in a Region that has two state title contenders or schools that are side by side to each other (Gleason, Dresden, McKenzie, South Fulton, Bruceton). Love the travel but the competition is just different in West Tennessee because football is king. Nothing against anybody, any teams or anything, it's just tough to face juggernauts of schools that are in counties that are triple to quadruple the people from our county. We do the best we can with who we got and we have a bunch of kids that just want to compete and do the best they can every friday night regardless of talent. 

Edited by PCsupporter4life