Karns-Carter Finish

osunut2

2 hours ago, GatorTDMaker said:

Moral of the story… karns had a chance to run the clock out… bishop got his cookies took with 2 minutes left and Carter drove it right down for the game winning 6. 

100% accurate.   Karns should have never been in that situation.  The defense should have been in cover 2 or cover 3 on that last drive.   Great game by both teams.   Carter players showed alot of class at the end.   Carter’s QB is the best high school QB I’ve seen in years.   Dude is an absolute stud and should do well the rest of the season and in college.   Carter fans and administrator were great.   Very impressive by their program. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen this asked, so I will - What is the NFHS rule in that situation? I've not been able to find this particular scenario clearly spelled out in the TSSAA or NFHS rulebook. If a fair catch had been called on the ensuing kickoff, no time is required to come off of the clock, but that obviously wasn't the case here. Not the same rulebook, but NCAA rules do not require the clock to start if the ball is cleanly recovered by a receiving player that is down (like what we saw on Friday night). Ohio high schools (OHSAA) have a similar rule.

I'm just wondering what the actual rule is in TN.

I talked to a Knox Association white hat who did not work the game, but watched the play and talked to a member of the crew that did work the game. He said that no time came off the clock on the kick was correct because the guy was down when he received the kick (same as a kick out of bounds basically). Then on the ensuing play he said the Carter guy caught it first, then Bishop wrestled it away.  But who caught the ball is irrelevant because the qb crossed the los on the throw, so penalty included loss of down, game over. 

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

I talked to a Knox Association white hat who did not work the game, but watched the play and talked to a member of the crew that did work the game. He said that no time came off the clock on the kick was correct because the guy was down when he received the kick (same as a kick out of bounds basically). Then on the ensuing play he said the Carter guy caught it first, then Bishop wrestled it away.  But who caught the ball is irrelevant because the qb crossed the los on the throw, so penalty included loss of down, game over. 

Good to know on the illegal forward pass. The video never showed the line of scrimmage because the camera guy focused on the end zone before the QB ever threw the ball.

Did he say whether they actually threw a flag on that play?

15 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Good to know on the illegal forward pass. The video never showed the line of scrimmage because the camera guy focused on the end zone before the QB ever threw the ball.

Did he say whether they actually threw a flag on that play?

No he did not.  I was wondering the exact same thing, but he said he wasn't sure, he forgot to ask that one final detail.  It would have made it much more clear as to what was happening amidst the chaos on the field at the end. 

3 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

No he did not.  I was wondering the exact same thing, but he said he wasn't sure, he forgot to ask that one final detail.  It would have made it much more clear as to what was happening amidst the chaos on the field at the end. 

There's a Carter fan in another thread who said they threw two flags on that play, so I assume that they made the call. Still bizarre that you never see an official near the end zone indicate whether it was a TD, INT, or touchback/down at the 1 on the video feed.

Yeah I agree, that was just crazy, nobody knew what the heck was going on from the point of the kickoff.  Did you see on the Carter xp try, the Karns DE was waaaaay offsides, no call there.  Tough job for sure, but geeez fellas!  -Huddle up, figure it out, make your decision, announce it and stand behind it.  I know this, if Karns had been awarded a TD and Carter lost, those stripes would have had heck to pay trying to get out of Strawplains, lol.