D2-AAA

Navy21412

I'll start a new D2-AAA thread....sounds like the Baylor-McCallie game was something else this weekend.  I talked to a McCallie friend who was there.  He said 8,000 tickets were sold and that the Baylor campus was full of people by 5:00, 2 hours before kickoff.  He said McCallie was in control of the game, led into the 4th quarter.  McCallie center snaps the ball over the head of the McCallie QB with like 8:00 to play and McCallie leading by 10.  Baylor scoops and scores to cut the lead to 3.  Next possession, McCallie RB has a break away run for what looks to be a game-sealing TD, but Baylor DB makes an incredible play and runs him down, and punches the ball out...ball goes out of the end zone, touchback, Baylor ball.  Baylor puts a drive together from there and connects on a long TD pass to go ahead for the first time. Baylor holds on to win.  Baylor and MBA will meet in 3 weeks for what looks to be the #1 seed in East/Middle region.  Will be a huge late season match-up between these 2 teams.

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

I'll start a new D2-AAA thread....sounds like the Baylor-McCallie game was something else this weekend.  I talked to a McCallie friend who was there.  He said 8,000 tickets were sold and that the Baylor campus was full of people by 5:00, 2 hours before kickoff.  He said McCallie was in control of the game, led into the 4th quarter.  McCallie center snaps the ball over the head of the McCallie QB with like 8:00 to play and McCallie leading by 10.  Baylor scoops and scores to cut the lead to 3.  Next possession, McCallie RB has a break away run for what looks to be a game-sealing TD, but Baylor DB makes an incredible play and runs him down, and punches the ball out...ball goes out of the end zone, touchback, Baylor ball.  Baylor puts a drive together from there and connects on a long TD pass to go ahead for the first time. Baylor holds on to win.  Baylor and MBA will meet in 3 weeks for what looks to be the #1 seed in East/Middle region.  Will be a huge late season match-up between these 2 teams.

wow!  i'd like to go back and find that game...

If you are a Tennessean subscriber, pretty depressing article today from Tom Kreager about the future of D2-AAA after this year.  JP2 and SBA are now below the enrollment number of 537 to qualify for D2-AAA.  Ensworth and BA have long been below that number, but have elected to play up.  With the current state of affairs, it's no given that Ensworth and BA will continue to play up going forward.  This season alone, BA has exactly 2 games against local teams, Ensworth and MBA.  Ensworth has BA and MBA, plus Antioch.  That's not something they will voluntarily choose to keep doing.  If everyone stays where their numbers say they are supposed to be, then we have MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest, MBA, FRHS, Baylor, McCallie and Knox Catholic as the last D2-AAA teams remaining.  LA of course is wildcard in all of this, but it's a very different set of circumstances to choose to play in than what it has been.

I was told the TSSAA sent a survey around to all of the D2 schools in the past few years and asked "should other factors, besides enrollment, factor into classification?"  I.e., historical roster numbers, financial aid budget, past success, etc.  They got the feedback for this summer's meeting, and decided to punt it until the next classification window.  Could have led to a different outcome....guess we will see how it all plays out.

42 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

If you are a Tennessean subscriber, pretty depressing article today from Tom Kreager about the future of D2-AAA after this year.  JP2 and SBA are now below the enrollment number of 537 to qualify for D2-AAA.  Ensworth and BA have long been below that number, but have elected to play up.  With the current state of affairs, it's no given that Ensworth and BA will continue to play up going forward.  This season alone, BA has exactly 2 games against local teams, Ensworth and MBA.  Ensworth has BA and MBA, plus Antioch.  That's not something they will voluntarily choose to keep doing.  If everyone stays where their numbers say they are supposed to be, then we have MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest, MBA, FRHS, Baylor, McCallie and Knox Catholic as the last D2-AAA teams remaining.  LA of course is wildcard in all of this, but it's a very different set of circumstances to choose to play in than what it has been.

I was told the TSSAA sent a survey around to all of the D2 schools in the past few years and asked "should other factors, besides enrollment, factor into classification?"  I.e., historical roster numbers, financial aid budget, past success, etc.  They got the feedback for this summer's meeting, and decided to punt it until the next classification window.  Could have led to a different outcome....guess we will see how it all plays out.

Tom Kreager did an excellent job of calling out the educational bureaucrats that call themselves the TSSAA Board of Control.  Those guys are trying to operate a multimillion-dollar business and they would have a difficult time running a church bake sale.

• Upvote 1

yeah it was a great article but I bet he didn't make any friends at TSSAA.  : )

my guess is LA will be looking for the best competition (probably MBA, mccallie and baylor) and will obviously travel as needed so I would be surprised if they did not go up.  they went to GA and AL this year and if calvert hall keeps the contract, they are going to maryland next year. 

hopefully BA and ensworth stay put.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:42 PM, theawesomebro said:

wow!  i'd like to go back and find that game...

McCallie didn't broadcast the game and Baylor's archived version is stuck behind a password. I wasn't joking when I wrote awhile back that high school sports broadcasting peaked in 2018.

Here are some highlights from local TV: 

I wonder who Baylor's opponent will be when they play in Ireland next year. Such a unique opportunity for those students.

https://www.wdef.com/baylor-red-raiders-football-going-global-next-year-with-game-in-ireland/

On 10/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, Navy21412 said:

thinkin that 537 enrollment qualifyin number bout 7 to high

Booger just sayin ;-)

On 10/5/2022 at 12:48 PM, cbg said:

Tom Kreager did an excellent job of calling out the educational bureaucrats that call themselves the TSSAA Board of Control.  Those guys are trying to operate a multimillion-dollar business and they would have a difficult time running a church bake sale.

Sums up most bureaucrats, businessmen and politicians today. 

Edited by BoosterClubPlayersSuck
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MBA beats Baylor in a thriller. MBA took a 14 point lead with about 7:00 to play and the home side was celebrating game over.  Baylor scores, and executes a perfect onside kick where the kicker recovers his own kick. Baylor scores with 2:00+ remaining and everyone expects them to go for 2 and win. The line up to kick PAT, and run the fake which is completely snuffed out. MBA receives kick, picks up key 1st down then scores on long td run which of course keeps Baylor in the game, receiving the ensuing kick down 8. Baylor advances into MBA territory, final pass with 9 sec left into end zone falls incomplete. 
Refs involved themselves throughout the night more to mba’s favor than Baylors. Great night. Great game. Whit Muschamp is the difference between Baylor last year and this year.  Dude is legit. Playoffs will be fun. 

8 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

MBA beats Baylor in a thriller. MBA took a 14 point lead with about 7:00 to play and the home side was celebrating game over.  Baylor scores, and executes a perfect onside kick where the kicker recovers his own kick. Baylor scores with 2:00+ remaining and everyone expects them to go for 2 and win. The line up to kick PAT, and run the fake which is completely snuffed out. MBA receives kick, picks up key 1st down then scores on long td run which of course keeps Baylor in the game, receiving the ensuing kick down 8. Baylor advances into MBA territory, final pass with 9 sec left into end zone falls incomplete. 
Refs involved themselves throughout the night more to mba’s favor than Baylors. Great night. Great game. Whit Muschamp is the difference between Baylor last year and this year.  Dude is legit. Playoffs will be fun. 

This was a fun game to watch with two very good teams.  Baylor can score in bunches.  Can definitely see these two playing in Chattanooga.