Playoffs - Region 7-3A vs Region 8-3A

CHARGERFAN

I see one thing from looking at the official TSSAA bracket. I had been told that Covington would have home field advantage right up through the semi-finals if we keep winning. However, the official bracket shows that in the third round, the 8-3A teams would have a home game if either Sheffield or Ralieigh-Egypt advance that far. On the other hand, if Ripley or Dyersburg advance to the third round, and Covington advanced, then Covington would host the third round by virtue of being the higher seeded team from the same region.

Ya gotta be a lawyer to keep up with all this.

9 hours ago, SuperBowlKid1489 said:

I know this match up normally plays out that region 7 sweeps region 8, but is anybody seeing any upsets this year? I hear Sheffield is not bad and has an all world athlete playing QB, but haven't heard much else on any of the other teams out of region 8. 

Massey matchup tool predicts Ripley 24-14 over Sheffield. I ordinarily would not think a #4 seed from our region would be favored like that over a #1 seed from Memphis. But, you have to remember that Shelby County teams lost a whole year of experience when they shut down during Covid and did not play football that year. 

9 hours ago, Allthetalk said:

I disagree. I believe the region 7 3A will sweep again. The QB is a baller for Sheffield, but you might need more than that to win in the playoffs. If Covington played Sheffield, it could be a 100 to nothing if Kirby wanted it to be. 

Yeah That's kinda what I said. Covington is the only sure thing. The other 3 7A teams it could go either way. Or are you saying it will be a easy win for any 7A team?

10 hours ago, TNHSFOOTBALLFAN said:

Yeah That's kinda what I said. Covington is the only sure thing. The other 3 7A teams it could go either way. Or are you saying it will be a easy win for any 7A team?

Every playoff win is going to be a tougher game. I just believe 7 3A wins the 1st round game. Across the board they will be more sound usually. 

• Like 1

Here are the predicted results for these four games, both from Sonny-Moore power rankings and from the Massey Matchup tool.

Moore.       Massey

Hamilton @ Covington - Covington by     52.              42

Millington @ Memphis East - Millington by 18.          14

Raleigh-Egypt @ Dyersburg - Dyersburg by  24.         28

Ripley @ Sheffield -                  Ripley by  Tossup.         10

My personal feeling is that 7-3A will sweep these games, probably due to the much tougher schedule that 7-3A teams have faced within their own region. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN
  • Like 2