West TN football

731Ball

On 11/9/2022 at 6:03 AM, Tomcatfan2011 said:

It’s better resources and more money… literally.

You are 100% correct. Money or lack thereof impacts everything. 
My list in order of importance:

1. Money

2. Population (see 1)

3. Talent (see 1 & 2) 

4. Coaching (see 1) 

5. Facilities (see 1) 

To dig a little deeper into the why this is an issue between west tn and the rest of state. The state mostly handles all manufacturing startups looking to locate in the state. Where do the majority of those jobs go? Middle and east tn.  Why? Couple of different reasons but the obvious ones are more people equal a better chance at hiring more qualified workers. That is the explanation given anyway.  The dirty, not so secret reason, is that is where most political donations come from, because once again that is the area of the state with the most money. 

It always circles back to money. West tn gets the scraps while middle and east get the gravy when it comes to jobs and wages in an overall sense. Hopefully the Blue Oval complex in Haywood will change things some for rural west tn. If it does what I think it will as described above Haywood may win multiple championships in a row cause they have the talent. With money available to hire better coaches and more staff, plus facility improvements and off season training geared toward skills enhancement……..look out. 

42 minutes ago, InspectroVol said:

1. Money

2. Population (see 1)

3. Talent (see 1 & 2) 

4. Coaching (see 1) 

5. Facilities (see 1) 

To dig a little deeper into the why this is an issue between west tn and the rest of state. The state mostly handles all manufacturing startups looking to locate in the state. Where do the majority of those jobs go? Middle and east tn.  Why? Couple of different reasons but the obvious ones are more people equal a better chance at hiring more qualified workers. That is the explanation given anyway.  The dirty, not so secret reason, is that is where most political donations come from, because once again that is the area of the state with the most money. 

It always circles back to money. West tn gets the scraps while middle and east get the gravy when it comes to jobs and wages in an overall sense. Hopefully the Blue Oval complex in Haywood will change things some for rural west tn. If it does what I think it will as described above Haywood may win multiple championships in a row cause they have the talent. With money available to hire better coaches and more staff, plus facility improvements and off season training geared toward skills enhancement……..look out. 

This is spot on! Hoping blue oval helps Haywood and not hurt them. What scares me is another school opening in Haywood closer to blue oval. 

4 hours ago, InspectroVol said:

1. Money

2. Population (see 1)

3. Talent (see 1 & 2) 

4. Coaching (see 1) 

5. Facilities (see 1) 

Better coaches? Lmao - maybe more staff, but their coaching staff is pretty strong. Facilities and support are the biggest needs.

13 hours ago, InspectroVol said:

1. Money

2. Population (see 1)

3. Talent (see 1 & 2) 

4. Coaching (see 1) 

5. Facilities (see 1) 

Which will be great for everybody else in West Tennessee other than Munford and Henry County. There’s absolutely no way Haywood will stay as a 4A when Blue Oval city is finished. They’ll be bumped up to 5A, and depending on if there will a new high school close to Mile Marker 42, they could be a 6A school (if that’s the case, then Haywood needs to build a new high school. 
Regardless, there are two schools that can absolutely benefit from that. Those  two are Haywood and Fayette Academy.

3 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Which will be great for everybody else in West Tennessee other than Munford and Henry County. There’s absolutely no way Haywood will stay as a 4A when Blue Oval city is finished. They’ll be bumped up to 5A, and depending on if there will a new high school close to Mile Marker 42, they could be a 6A school (if that’s the case, then Haywood needs to build a new high school. 
Regardless, there are two schools that can absolutely benefit from that. Those  two are Haywood and Fayette Academy.

I’d think Lakeland too.

I've seen many reasons cited for the lack of... production?... Of the 3-4A teams out this way. Money, population, talent, etc. But why don't these issues impact 1 and 2A? It's basically to the point where I'm more surprised if west TN doesn't bring back gold in both classes. I think many factors are at work here but the main one imo is it seems to just mean more to the smaller schools in the area. 

3 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

I've seen many reasons cited for the lack of... production?... Of the 3-4A teams out this way. Money, population, talent, etc. But why don't these issues impact 1 and 2A? It's basically to the point where I'm more surprised if west TN doesn't bring back gold in both classes. I think many factors are at work here but the main one imo is it seems to just mean more to the smaller schools in the area. 

Smaller school are likely one of multiple schools in a single county. Peabody is a good example. There are 6 schools in Gibson county. This means that the program with best coaches and community support can attract best players to play for the best program. All schools are essentially driving distance regardless of where the parents live. 
Also it is easier to win in smaller class schools who by and large are not dominated by D1 talent. Scheme and coaching can win easier when numbers are smaller. 

Of course there can always be variables and unicorns pop up. How does the population of Blount county support two multiple championship football teams? Is that just from the county population? It’s doubtful. 

8 hours ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

The biggest factor I see is small school athletes play more than one sport. 

5 hours ago, InspectroVol said:

Smaller school are likely one of multiple schools in a single county. Peabody is a good example. There are 6 schools in Gibson county. This means that the program with best coaches and community support can attract best players to play for the best program. All schools are essentially driving distance regardless of where the parents live. 
Also it is easier to win in smaller class schools who by and large are not dominated by D1 talent. Scheme and coaching can win easier when numbers are smaller. 

Of course there can always be variables and unicorns pop up. How does the population of Blount county support two multiple championship football teams? Is that just from the county population? It’s doubtful. 

I just don't see it. It sounds good but I don't know of many non Trenton  kids growing up that play for Peabody. I'll just use Carroll County as an example because it's home. Idk about Bruceton but it's not like WC is losing players to either McKenzie or Huntingdon year after year. Those kids they play with are usually the same kids that were playing for them in pee wee several years prior. Regardless these 1 and 2A teams at the top could go ahead to head with just about anyone in the area classes 3-5A. And it shouldn't necessarily be that way. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:43 PM, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Personally I think there are too many small schools in West Tennessee. Blount County where Alcoa and Maryville are has 5 high schools. Gibson County has 6. Carroll County has 5. Neither of those counties has half the population of Blount county. You could combine the high schools in most West Tennessee counties and still not be 6a in football. I think you could better use the funding that most of the school systems have by merging some of these schools. 

5 minutes ago, toinemac said:

Personally I think there are too many small schools in West Tennessee. Blount County where Alcoa and Maryville are has 5 high schools. Gibson County has 6. Carroll County has 5. Neither of those counties has half the population of Blount county. You could combine the high schools in most West Tennessee counties and still not be 6a in football. I think you could better use the funding that most of the school systems have by merging some of these schools. 

I don't disagree some schools could stand to merge but a lot are fine as is. Gibson and Carroll are on the larger side as far as land mass. Both are larger than Blount but far less populated and we have no one main city. At WC alone I know families in Lavinia or Cedar grove who's kids have to be on the bus before 6:30. I couldn't imagine what a problem it would be if we switched to one HS.