Smoky Bears Off-season thread

Bueller

Tonight would been a great time to pull out all those Little Smoky Bowl trophies to show everyone for recruiting purposes. I actually saw a program from that game two weeks ago for the game against Powell back on 11-23-67. It would take an awfully dedicated fan to miss Thanksgiving Dinner in order to go watch a 2-6-1 Sevier County football team in the cold weather play Powell High School.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Tonight would been a great time to pull out all those Little Smoky Bowl trophies to show everyone for recruiting purposes. I actually saw a program from that game two weeks ago for the game against Powell back on 11-23-67. It would take an awfully dedicated fan to miss Thanksgiving Dinner in order to go watch a 2-6-1 Sevier County football team in the cold weather play Powell High School.

Not even sure where those trophies are. I hope they’re in the trophy cases in the commons area, but I don’t think they are. 

2 hours ago, ThinkFastRunFast said:

They sure were piled in to the old Lon C Burchfield last night, some good football was played and some uuuuugly football was played. The Smoky Bears looked really good IMO and the Cougars were a nice surprise playing with the Highlanders....

Maybe the most packed I’ve ever seen it. Had a lot fun watching the local teams play. Me personally I’d rather watch SC play the county teams than lenoir, hva, or east hamilton. Be more fun and a bigger crowd against Northview, GP, PF, or Seymour. 

28 minutes ago, MurphyCollege said:

Not even sure where those trophies are. I hope they’re in the trophy cases in the commons area, but I don’t think they are. 

I would want that on my tombstone if I had been one of those coaches. Speaking of old coaches Bob Davis who was an assistant for one year back in 55 under Coggins then took the program over in 56, 57 and 58 before leaving for Carson-Newman was one of Doug Dickey's hand picked assistants when he arrived at UT. Davis was a long time employee of UT and served many rolls until his retirement. It's nice to know that one of your former head coaches done well after leaving there.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Ol Barn ain’t playing. Thanks for sharing the program with me at Hardee’s this morning.

image.thumb.jpeg.700a92cac11ce56f0e2692fc2fccb80f.jpeg

I really enjoyed us old timers discussing the jamborees and what we think will happen this upcoming season. Maybe next time some of our “fans” from 226 cedar street will join us and get a history lesson. 

3 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

Maybe the most packed I’ve ever seen it. Had a lot fun watching the local teams play. Me personally I’d rather watch SC play the county teams than lenoir, hva, or east hamilton. Be more fun and a bigger crowd against Northview, GP, PF, or Seymour. 

GP will never play SC on football. They are happy beating up on the likes of North Green before getting trounced by Alcoa in the playoffs