Class (A) Way-Too-Early Top 5

cowcatcherII

With another great season behind us, I wanted to post my annual Class (A) Way-Too-Early Top 5 for next year.

#1 Soddy Daisy

Returning Starters: 13/14* I am including 106lber Micah Hilton as a starter since he was there and did well all season prior to Dyer’s arrival, and 113lber Tyson Flavin. 

Returning State Qualifiers: 7

Returning State Placers (6): Elijah Turner (2nd), Braylen Cosper (3rd), Drew Lewis (3rd), Charles Duncan (5th), Logan Rawlinson (6th), Tucker Ross (6th)

Key Losses (2): Cole Dyer, William Whalen (State Qualifier—SQ)

Notes: I believe this has a chance to be one of the all-time best teams to come through since the big/small school split. On paper they remind me of the ’21 Pigeon Forge team that qualified 13 and placed 9. I expect Turner, Cosper, Flavin, and Duncan to all be contenders or favorites to win their weight classes next season. I have Signal as my 2nd best team, and I don’t see them coming close to the Trojans next season. This Soddy team will be special! Winesburgh has done a great job restoring the glory to this proud program.

#2 Signal Mountain

Returning Starters: 7/14

Returning State Qualifiers: 5

Returning State Placers (4): JoJo Uhorchuk (Champion), Ethan Uhorchuk (Champion), Jackson Davis (3rd), Luke Higdon (5th)

Key Losses (4): Caleb Uhorchuk (Champion), Jacob Winchester (6th), Jackson Owens (SQ), Daniel Odom (SQ)

Notes: One less Uhorchuk…we can all take a sigh of relief LOL! Signal will definitely have some question marks to going into the year, but with 4 returning placers and 2 Uhorchuks, Signal will rack up the points in a tournament quickly. I do remember thinking Signal would take a step back after they lost all of those seniors in ’21 on the team that finished 2nd behind Pigeon Forge, and then they brought Clements in and they won the state duals that next year so maybe they will surprise me, but I just don’t see any way they can beat Soddy. For the first time in a long time, it feels like it might be a battle for 2nd place in Class A.

#3 Pigeon Forge

Returning Starters: 10/14

Returning State Placers (3): Aiden Howard (2nd), Ayden Hood (3rd), Wyatt Howard (5th)

Key Losses (3): Caleb Wolfe (Champion), Andy Cable (2nd, 2x Champion), Aiden Littles (2nd)

Notes: After winning 6 state titles in 7 years from 2015-2021, Pigeon Forge will have an uphill battle to get back on top, but this roster returns plenty of talent. Both Howards should be favorites to win their weight classes next year. I thought Wyatt underperformed this year in the state tournament, but I expect him to rebound in a big way. This group returns 10 starters, and this program has a reputation for doing a fantastic job in developing talent. As long as Coach Foreman is at the helm, you can expect the Tigers to remain at the top.

#4 Anderson County

Returning Starters: 11/14

Returning AA State Qualifiers (3): Evan Prewitt, Josh Bingham, Ayden Derry

Returning AA State Placers: 0

Key Losses (2): Gabriel Dietlin (SQ), Lucas Prewitt (SQ)

Notes: As much as I love the Single A division for its parity amongst the teams in comparison to D2 and AA, I was reminded how much of a talent gap there is between A and AA when I was watching the state tournament this year. I believe the Single A champions could hold their own or beat many of the champions in AA and D2, but outside of that, there is a substantial difference, and I think Anderson County (coming down) and Halls (moving up) will show that. AC returns a super experienced team and should be great in duals. As a matter of fact, if these rankings were based on duals, I might have them at #2. While I do not expect them to beat Soddy, I will note that they edged Soddy out this year at the Maryville Invitational.

#5 Eagleville

Returning State Qualifiers: 6

Returning State Placers (2): Brody McLemore (2nd), Thomas Solomon (6th)

Key Losses (1): Zachary Lewis (SQ)

Notes: While they only return 2 placers, Eagleville returns 11 starters and 6 qualifiers that will make them a formidable test for anyone outside of Soddy in my opinion. This 5th slot could have easily gone to any of the 4 teams I have listed below on the waiting list, but I think Eagleville’s depth sets them apart.

Waiting List

Gibbs, Fairview, Green Hill, Tullahoma

My one burning question for the off season

Where does Greeneville go from here? I have grown so accustomed to seeing them in the mix that it almost feels weird not having them in there. Outside of Carson Dupill, they may not have a single placer next year. I have also heard Dupill may be on his way out to team up with Mason Jakob at DB...?

Edited by cowcatcherII
  • Like 1

• cowcatcherII changed the title to Class (A) Way-Too-Early Top 5

Wow, solid post. 

I'm hopeful for AC and glad to see them get some love. I don't think anyone knows what to expect,  especially this early but we're hopeful and just want to compete.  

I don't think anyone has anything for Soddy next year.  With Halls, Page and Green Hill going AA next year small school is a scramble for 2-5. Having Gibbs, AC and PF in the same region and same sectional as Greeneville and Crockett... whew.  

Edited by TotallynotLEO

On 3/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, cowcatcherII said:

With another great season behind us, I wanted to post my annual Class (A) Way-Too-Early Top 5 for next year.

#1 Soddy Daisy

Returning Starters: 13/14* I am including 106lber Micah Hilton as a starter since he was there and did well all season prior to Dyer’s arrival, and 113lber Tyson Flavin. 

Returning State Qualifiers: 7

Returning State Placers (6): Elijah Turner (2nd), Braylen Cosper (3rd), Drew Lewis (3rd), Charles Duncan (5th), Logan Rawlinson (6th), Tucker Ross (6th)

Key Losses (2): Cole Dyer, William Whalen (State Qualifier—SQ)

Notes: I believe this has a chance to be one of the all-time best teams to come through since the big/small school split. On paper they remind me of the ’21 Pigeon Forge team that qualified 13 and placed 9. I expect Turner, Cosper, Flavin, and Duncan to all be contenders or favorites to win their weight classes next season. I have Signal as my 2nd best team, and I don’t see them coming close to the Trojans next season. This Soddy team will be special! Winesburgh has done a great job restoring the glory to this proud program.

#2 Signal Mountain

Returning Starters: 7/14

Returning State Placers (4): JoJo Uhorchuk (Champion), Ethan Uhorchuk (Champion), Jackson Davis (3rd), Luke Higdon (5th)

Key Losses (4): Caleb Uhorchuk (Champion), Jacob Winchester (6th), Jackson Owens (SQ), Daniel Odom (SQ)

Notes: One less Uhorchuk…we can all take a sigh of relief LOL! Signal will definitely have some question marks to going into the year, but with 4 returning placers and 2 Uhorchuks, Signal will rack up the points in a tournament quickly. I do remember thinking Signal would take a step back after they lost all of those seniors in ’21 on the team that finished 2nd behind Pigeon Forge, and then they brought Clements in and they won the state duals that next year so maybe they will surprise me, but I just don’t see any way they can beat Soddy. For the first time in a long time, it feels like it might be a battle for 2nd place in Class A.

#3 Pigeon Forge

Returning Starters: 10/14

Returning State Placers (3): Aiden Howard (2nd), Ayden Hood (3rd), Wyatt Howard (5th)

Key Losses (3): Caleb Wolfe (Champion), Andy Cable (2nd, 2x Champion), Aiden Littles (2nd)

Notes: After winning 6 state titles in 7 years from 2015-2021, Pigeon Forge will have an uphill battle to get back on top, but this roster returns plenty of talent. Both Howards should be favorites to win their weight classes next year. I thought Wyatt underperformed this year in the state tournament, but I expect him to rebound in a big way. This group returns 10 starters, and this program has a reputation for doing a fantastic job in developing talent. As long as Coach Foreman is at the helm, you can expect the Tigers to remain at the top.

#4 Anderson County

Returning AA State Qualifiers (3): Evan Prewitt, Josh Bingham, Ayden Derry

Returning AA State Placers: 0

Key Losses (2): Gabriel Dietlin (SQ), Lucas Prewitt (SQ)

Notes: As much as I love the Single A division for its parity amongst the teams in comparison to D2 and AA, I was reminded how much of a talent gap there is between A and AA when I was watching the state tournament this year. I believe the Single A champions could hold their own or beat many of the champions in AA and D2, but outside of that, there is a substantial difference, and I think Anderson County (coming down) and Halls (moving up) will show that. AC returns a super experienced team and should be great in duals. As a matter of fact, if these rankings were based on duals, I might have them at #2. While I do not expect them to beat Soddy, I will note that they edged Soddy out this year at the Maryville Invitational.

#5 Eagleville

Returning State Qualifiers: 6

Returning State Placers (2): Brody McLemore (2nd), Thomas Solomon (6th)

Key Losses (1): Zachary Lewis (SQ)

Notes: While they only return 2 placers, Eagleville returns 11 starters and 6 qualifiers that will make them a formidable test for anyone outside of Soddy in my opinion. This 5th slot could have easily gone to any of the 4 teams I have listed below on the waiting list, but I think Eagleville’s depth sets them apart.

Waiting List

Gibbs, Fairview, Green Hill, Tullahoma

My one burning question for the off season

Where does Greeneville go from here? I have grown so accustomed to seeing them in the mix that it almost feels weird not having them in there. Outside of Carson Dupill, they may not have a single placer next year. I have also heard Dupill may be on his way out to team up with Mason Jakob at DB...?

I have not heard that but I’d be doing backflips if he moved to DB 

• 3 weeks later...

Thing is, next year might be the better year to beat Soddy, their 7th grade class with Ritchie(if he doesnt follow his brother to McCallie), Jaxon Lane, Blazek and a few others are absolute studs and will fill in very nicely as freshman. Don't think their incoming freshman class will be all that great to fill holes for next season, but I'm really looking forward to those 7th graders when they move up. This middle school season Signal had all 14 weights filled with 10 8th graders with 2 champs both 8th graders scored 186.5,  Soddy had 13 wrestlers and had 7 champs and i think 4 of those were 7th graders, 1 8th and 2 6th graders and scored 210.5. Loftis which a lot of their kids feed into Soddy finished 3rd with 155 and they only had 9 wrestlers 2 champs with both of them being 8th graders with 7 of their 9 wrestlers that qualified being 8th graders, I just don't know which for sure will be at Soddy compared to Hixson or somewhere else. Future though does look bright for Soddy