Maryville was outplayed, Hillsboro was outcoached

Guest truth16

Guest truth16

I was a spectator watching the AAAA State Championship and it was very clear to me that Hillsboro truly had the better team. They really dominated the game. However, the one reason that Maryville had on its side was the great job by their coaches. The only reason that Maryville won the game was due to the great job the coach did. Congrats to Maryville. You are a great team with even a better coach.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely correct, I just came back from the Boro as a Boro fan. What you said is absolutely correct. Hillsboro just got killed by trick plays, and Hillsboro is very dejected right now not at themselves, but for the fact that it's happened thrice (three), and it's painful to lose like that when you had ownership of the game against Maryville.

Other than that Maryville has shown great class throughtout the season, and congratulations again.

Maryville is a fine football team...disciplined, hard nosed, patient, and very well coached... Congrats...you guys had a great season...and are deserving Champs...

Hillsboro could have won the game tonight... But with 4:00 to go, their coach forgot about the stud running back and went to the air... mistake... of course, arm chair quarterbacking is easy, huh? I still believe that HHS could have taken the ball down the field with the running game had they handed the ball to the man that got them there... Great season by the Green and Gold as well...

Guest OvertonFan

I was not at the game, but I did get to watch it on t.v. I thought that the Burros completed dominated through two and a half quarters, and then Maryville's players steped up to the plate. Hillsboro was the better team of players, but I agree with the other comments that Hillsboro was simply out-coached. I hate to blame anyone person, but how can a team be up by 14 halfway through the third, and lose by 3? The answer is coaching. I thought that the turning point in the game was when Maryville went for it on fourth down in the third and Hillsboro jumped off sides. This seemed to cause a shift in the momentum of the game. Hillsboro players, hold your heads up high. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You had a great season and were the best team, besides the Bobcats of course!, this year. I sure wish we played again next year. Congratulations to both teams on a great year of football.

he must have been laying around in his room last night watching varsity blues...the onside kick definitely was the start...he outcoached the other coach when it counted with "fresher" players that delivered when needed..maryville just wore them down and came through in the 4th...

rebelron,insider,...i'll call you next week

Every post in this thread reflects a moronic point of view. Anyone can state that any coach of a winning team out-coached the losing coach.

Hillsboro's dedication to the run got them to the state championship two years in a row, and their running game created three undefeated seasons in a row.

Did Maryville have a good coach? Yes. Did Maryville execute unusual plays to perfection? Yes.

Both teams were well coached. One team has to win, and Maryville showed the character of a champion by coming back and winning this game.

I am a moron for reading these posts and reacting to them.

StanTrott,

I know you are dissapointed that Hillsboro lost but there is no need for you to vent your frustrations by stating everybody has a "Moronic" point of view. Read the posts again, folks are expressing their views, there is not one single inflamatory post on this thread. Of course you have the right to agree or disagree with those views, but to lash out and use the term "Moronic" is going over the top don't you think?

On a positive note, one thing that really struck me on how both teams have high quality coaching was the way that the teams showed incredible sportsmanship. They were alaways helping each other up after all the plays.

Online LC:

"Moronic" is going over the top don't you think?

Yes, but I also called myself a moron. I can go back and state about how said it has been for every losing team that they didn't do this or that. Why couldn't Johnny Unitas have played Namath in his prime? But the reality is that Namath had the upper hand in the 3rd Super Bowl.

Crazy comparision? I think not...Knute Rockne could not have created a passing team out of Hillsboro, and that is no knock on any individual player at Hillsboro.

What is lost on everyone is the magnitude of effort it took to go undefeated for three straight seasons. Hillsboro happens to draw one of the toughest teams in the state in their finals, and the focus is on Hillsboro's "weaknesses" or "inferior" coaching. These words may not have been used, but that is meaning of the statements on this thread.

I address this issue in another thread, but not every coach can go into Hillsboro and lead them to undefeated seasons. A team must master one system before it can master another. Maryville has the luxury of mastering several different types of systems.

A team goes undfeated and when they lose, people wonder why Hillsboro didn't bring Michael Vick off the bench? Sound moronic?

Hillsboro did what they do well, and they played well enough to win. Turnovers set them back. Trick plays worked. Advantage Maryville, who deserves the championship.

A football game is 48 minutes long. Hillsboro played 36 of them very well, but in the end got outplayed by Maryville. I agree that coaching wa a huge part of the game, but coaching is a huge part of every game isn't it? In the end Hillsboro ran out of gas and were outplayed, and outcoached in the last quarter of the game. Now most Hillsboro players took the loss and stride. I can understand the frustration of losing the state game 2 years in a row, but throwing your helmet 40 yards down the field like one of the players wearing green and gold did was unnecessary. That one player does not show the true colors of the Hillsboro team though, I was very impressed with most of the players congratulating the rebels and some even waiting in the tunnel for the team and congratulating them.