Franklin coach dismissed. Unbelievable!!

runtheball

I would send my kid to a private school if my other option was to play for a 1-26 program, if I didn’t see changes. There are also kids that are going to private schools regardless of where they live. Many even relocate to go to those private schools. The timing of this may very well be to stop the bleeding and try to keep kids in the building. 

• Upvote 1

Interscholastic athletics are not courses offered by schools but are tools used by schools to reach and motivate students and to rally support within the community for schools’ academic and activity programs. (MHSAA) l In order to justify school sponsorship, inter- scholastic athletics must be compatible with the academic mission of schools, giving priority deference to the academic schedule and requiring proper decorum at athletic events. (MHSAA) l Interscholastic athletics are secondary to the academic program of schools and are partners with schools’ non-athletic activities in providing students opportunities to develop loyalty and school spirit, to practice teamwork, hard work, discipline, sacrifice, leadership and sportsmanship and to gain lifetime appreciation for the arts, sports and healthy lifestyle. (MIAA) l Athletics provide a great educational experience because they can teach important values for dealing with the circumstances of life. The values taught through interscholastic athletics include teamwork, sportsmanship and citizenship, respect for self and others, caring, dedication, commitment, trustworthiness, loyalty, responsibility, integrity, fairness, and doing ones’ best regardless of the outcome. These values are often called “intrinsic” because they may not be included in the lesson plans coaches prepare, but they are very much a part of what a successful coach teaches. (IHSAA) l When kept in proper perspective, inter- scholastic athletics allow kids to be kids. Young people grow by learning the values of healthy competition, teamwork, goal setting, respect and hard work. The educational experiences of all participants are enhanced through these values, as everyone strives to be their best as individuals, students, teammates, and members of the community, rather than just as athletes. (MHS

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, runtheball said:

Interscholastic athletics are not courses offered by schools but are tools used by schools to reach and motivate students and to rally support within the community for schools’ academic and activity programs. (MHSAA) l In order to justify school sponsorship, inter- scholastic athletics must be compatible with the academic mission of schools, giving priority deference to the academic schedule and requiring proper decorum at athletic events. (MHSAA) l Interscholastic athletics are secondary to the academic program of schools and are partners with schools’ non-athletic activities in providing students opportunities to develop loyalty and school spirit, to practice teamwork, hard work, discipline, sacrifice, leadership and sportsmanship and to gain lifetime appreciation for the arts, sports and healthy lifestyle. (MIAA) l Athletics provide a great educational experience because they can teach important values for dealing with the circumstances of life. The values taught through interscholastic athletics include teamwork, sportsmanship and citizenship, respect for self and others, caring, dedication, commitment, trustworthiness, loyalty, responsibility, integrity, fairness, and doing ones’ best regardless of the outcome. These values are often called “intrinsic” because they may not be included in the lesson plans coaches prepare, but they are very much a part of what a successful coach teaches. (IHSAA) l When kept in proper perspective, inter- scholastic athletics allow kids to be kids. Young people grow by learning the values of healthy competition, teamwork, goal setting, respect and hard work. The educational experiences of all participants are enhanced through these values, as everyone strives to be their best as individuals, students, teammates, and members of the community, rather than just as athletes. (MHS

High school athletics were to teach values and were just an extension of the school day, Today it is all about winning at any cost. Only way a coach was fired was for unethical behavior. Coaches were men of character and great leaders of young people. Sad how times have changed.

Edited by runtheball
  • Like 1

What is the purpose of interscholastic sports?

The goals of interscholastic sports include helping adolescents enhance sport skills, physical fitness, self-discipline, sportsmanship, teamwork, time management skills, self-confidence, and mental toughness while promoting life skills and lessons and enhancing academic performance.

It’s not only about winning, but we don’t compete to lose. I know where you’re going with this and I don’t disagree. However, we compete to win. In the classroom, on the field, and in life. We should never settle for mediocrity and to teach our kids that’s acceptable is also wrong. 

13 minutes ago, eers said:

It’s not only about winning, but we don’t compete to lose. I know where you’re going with this and I don’t disagree. However, we compete to win. In the classroom, on the field, and in life. We should never settle for mediocrity and to teach our kids that’s acceptable is also wrong. 

I understand what you are saying, but to me winning has trumped everything. When you read the thing I posted about interscholastic sports winning is never mentioned ,just implied as a result not the main goal. Not the only reason as today. This mindset took years to evolve and a lot of things in our society has changed not for the good. it is a Me society now and I am not a fan.

Edited by runtheball
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, eers said:

100% agree with this. Too many parents these days settle for mediocrity from their kids, in the classroom, in life, and on the field. Giving your best at anything you do doesn’t always mean you’re going to win, but I guarantee you won’t always lose. You’ll come out on the big end of the stick more often than not.

3 minutes ago, runtheball said:

I understand what you are saying, but to me winning has trumped everything

I don’t think winning has trumped everything in this case. Going 1-20 something over the coach’s tenure isn’t exactly getting the most out of his players. He might be a great guy but not a good head ball coach, it happens.