5A Region 2 Championship - Powell @ West

WestHigh4Life

Great win by West even though it was looking bleak in that 3rd quarter.

These kids from West just find a way to win and am super happy for them.

This game was two teams that were mirror images of the other and left it out there. Hats off to Powell as that is a darn good football team. 

Playoffs are here now and anything can happen but Id be shocked if these teams dont meet again in Round 3.

Go Rebels!

1 hour ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

Powell’s got to be kicking themselves after losing that. Just made a couple mistakes that west capitalized on. Their kicker doesn’t shank punts or miss PATs very often. 

Felt terrible for the kicker, but it happens.  Overall the refs did an okay job; however, it did seem like none of the calls ever seemed to go Powell's way.  A couple of TDs that were questionable.  The one the Powell kid caught coming down to the ground in the end zone , and they called incomplete.  Then another in the end zone that the refs said he was out.  The player swears he was in, but again, that is just how things go.  Then the 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on Powell just for one player giving a "thumbs down" to the other sideline after a big stop.  Like I get it, but I have not heard an unsportsmanlike call all year.  I understand if a player has a late hit or is blatantly being mean.  However, a team celebrating a big stop is a bit ridiculous to call in such a big game.  Both defenses looked awesome last night.  One team had to win.  Hopefully, Powell can use this as ammunition for the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Knoxvegas865 said:

Powell’s got to be kicking themselves after losing that. Just made a couple mistakes that west capitalized on. Their kicker doesn’t shank punts or miss PATs very often. 

It was tough to see #16 shank that punt and then miss the PAT in OT. He's one of the better kickers in the area. Hopefully he'll shake it off and get a shot at redemption in the playoffs.

Great game though. Both teams made some great in-game adjustments, and it came down to who made the fewest mistakes. Great teams do what West did last night - they got points on all three drives into Powell territory (plus the OT score), they didn't turn it over, they didn't miss a kick, and they only had a few penalties.

Powell didn't have many penalties, but they shanked a punt deep in their own territory (led to the tying TD), they threw an INT in West territory midway through the 4th, and they also turned it over on downs in the red zone when they were up 17-7 (WR caught the ball in the end zone on the previous play, but he was ruled OB). That defensive stop by West was a turning point, followed by a 3rd and long conversion by Cummings (three plays later) on a really nice side-arm throw. The Panthers were running downhill on their first two drives of the second half, and I don't know if West wins if they fall behind 3 scores there.

Powell's front 6/7 has really grown this season, and they really made West earn it on the ground. The only time West was able to move the ball at all was when they went tempo and leaned on the stretch hand-off. They started doing that after Powell turned it over on downs midway through the 3rd. Up to that point, West only had ~75 yards of total offense (3 first downs), and half of that came on the passing TD right before the half.

Really hoping these two get a rematch in the quarterfinals!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, footballknox said:

Felt terrible for the kicker, but it happens.  Overall the refs did an okay job; however, it did seem like none of the calls ever seemed to go Powell's way.  A couple of TDs that were questionable.  The one the Powell kid caught coming down to the ground in the end zone , and they called incomplete.  Then another in the end zone that the refs said he was out.  The player swears he was in, but again, that is just how things go.  Then the 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on Powell just for one player giving a "thumbs down" to the other sideline after a big stop.  Like I get it, but I have not heard an unsportsmanlike call all year.  I understand if a player has a late hit or is blatantly being mean.  However, a team celebrating a big stop is a bit ridiculous to call in such a big game.  Both defenses looked awesome last night.  One team had to win.  Hopefully, Powell can use this as ammunition for the playoffs.  

you watched the game and that was your take away?  I know I've got no dog on the fight, so maybe it's easier for me to be objective, but this seems like a terrible take.  

I watched on diamond clear and the camera work was suspect, so i don't know about the OOB catch.  but the incomplete one the announcer said right away it was incomplete.  As for the taunting, I guess you missed essentially the same bologna call on the west TD where they added on 15 for the wideout spinning the ball?  I thought they were both soft, but you can't argue that the refs were inconsistent.  

The best response to this game was to say we'll see them again, not come out blaming the refs.  refs had nothing to do with it.