Memphis Central @ Henry Co Round1

SEC1rules

On 10/27/2023 at 7:37 PM, RollRed123 said:

Is there some kind of trophy for this championship? If so where is it kept? 

There were many many trophies atop the book shelves ii the old Grove High library.  I am fairly certain that the trophy for this game was there but I don't remember it saying state champions. To say that this team was legendary is a gross understatement especially to the generations around mine. Three members signed with Wally Butts  University of Georgia team, one played 4 years at Vanderbilt( he later owned a large bridge building company that built the Tennessee river bridge at Paris Landing and Patriot Stadium at HCHS)  and one had a long baseball career with stops in St Louis and Detroit.One had a  distinguished 4 year basketball career at Western Kentucky . Ihave no  idea where those trophies are today.

GO BIG RED

1 hour ago, olddevil said:

There were many many trophies atop the book shelves ii the old Grove High library.  I am fairly certain that the trophy for this game was there but I don't remember it saying state champions. To say that this team was legendary is a gross understatement especially to the generations around mine. Three members signed with Wally Butts  University of Georgia team, one played 4 years at Vanderbilt( he later owned a large bridge building company that built the Tennessee river bridge at Paris Landing and Patriot Stadium at HCHS)  and one had a long baseball career with stops in St Louis and Detroit.One had a  distinguished 4 year basketball career at Western Kentucky . Ihave no  idea where those trophies are today.

GO BIG RED

Thanks brother, GO BIG RED

On 10/27/2023 at 8:08 PM, MSURacer said:

@olddevil might appreciate this trivia, but there's actually some pretty cool history between Memphis Central and Henry County. 

HCHS's predecessor, Grove High, went undefeated in 1949 and had a pretty legendary season with very few close games. They completed their perfect season in a bowl game against Memphis Central, winning 21-20. I believe this was the only state championship the Grove Blue Devils ever claimed back during the era of polls. 

Who did Grove consolidate with to make Henry County and what year did that happen?

24 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

Who did Grove consolidate with to make Henry County and what year did that happen?

Henry County High School was formed in 1969 as a consolidation of Grove (Paris), Central (Paris), Puryear, Cottage Grove, Buchanan, Henry, and Springville High Schools. 

The latter 5 were very small rural schools that had basketball but did not have football.  

3 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Henry County High School was formed in 1969 as a consolidation of Grove (Paris), Central (Paris), Puryear, Cottage Grove, Buchanan, Henry, and Springville High Schools. 

The latter 5 were very small rural schools that had basketball but did not have football.  

Oh okay makes sense was central the black school for yalls area. Ours (mcminn county) was formed  in 1903 but they added schools niota high school joined In the 40s which it was a  rural basketball high school, cook joined in 1967 I believe which was athens black high school, then Calhoun high school which a small rural school joined in 1980. Mcminn central was formed through the combination of Englewood ,Etowah, and East Etowah African American school in 1966. I love learned about the history of stuff like that. Would be cool to see what it would be like to have all the old schools back in today's time(minus the segregated schools)

7 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Oh okay makes sense was central the black school for yalls area. Ours (mcminn county) was formed  in 1903 but they added schools niota high school joined In the 40s which it was a  rural basketball high school, cook joined in 1967 I believe which was athens black high school, then Calhoun high school which a small rural school joined in 1980. Mcminn central was formed through the combination of Englewood ,Etowah, and East Etowah African American school in 1966. I love learned about the history of stuff like that. Would be cool to see what it would be like to have all the old schools back in today's time(minus the segregated schools)

Yes, Central was the predominantly black high school in Paris prior to integration. I’ve always heard they had a very solid athletic history as well, though I’ve not heard nearly as much about it. 

17 hours ago, olddevil said:

GO BIG RED

@olddevil check this picture out. I was in a restaurant in Lexington a year or so ago and saw this on the wall. I took a pic. I thought it was really cool and think you will too. You will have to zoom in to see the names.

https://postimg.cc/18PXDzyN

Edited by SEC1rules

5 hours ago, SEC1rules said:

@olddevil check this picture out. I was in a restaurant in Lexington a year or so ago and saw this on the wall. I took a pic. I thought it was really cool and think you will too. You will have to zoom in to see the names.

https://postimg.cc/18PXDzyN

WOW!!I have never heard this game discussed: Wonder who won. I moved to Paris in 1950 so this was old news by then. The real news by then was the unforgettable season the juniors had the next year.Thanx for posting this.

GO BIG RED