Round One 3A Reg 7 vs Reg 8

mg

Seems like yesterday that we were just discussing upcoming jamborees.  Time flies. 

Region 7 is set and by 10PM tonight we should have the brackets for round 1&2. 

Strange things happen in the play offs.  We all will be watching to see just who gets upset across the state in that first round. 

Dyersburg has had numerous injuries on both sides of the ball and other key players since game 7, and now we are down to the 4th string QB.  But, that is part of the game, next man up and you go with what you have.  

I do think Region 7 sweeps. 

Now that the brackets are set, let’s look at Massey’s prediction for each of the four games between 7-3A and 8-3A:

Memphis East @ Dyersburg - Dyersburg wins 41-6

Hamilton @ Covington - Covington wins 42-6

Westview @ Bolton - Westview wins 42-12

Ripley @ Sheffield - Ripley wins 35-21

The Massey predictions are solidly in favor of a sweep by Region 7-3A. That agrees with my gut feel, but we will see how the actual games turn out. If the sweep does happen, then week 2 will find Dyersburg hosting Westview and Covington hosting Ripley. 

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Now that the brackets are set, let’s look at Massey’s prediction for each of the four games between 7-3A and 8-3A:

Memphis East @ Dyersburg - Dyersburg wins 41-6

Hamilton @ Covington - Covington wins 42-6

Westview @ Bolton - Westview wins 42-12

Ripley @ Sheffield - Ripley wins 35-21

The Massey predictions are solidly in favor of a sweep by Region 7-3A. That agrees with my gut feel, but we will see how the actual games turn out. If the sweep does happen, then week 2 will find Dyersburg hosting Westview and Covington hosting Ripley. 

If my math is right, Massey is predicting a 115 point sweep by Region 7-3A. I don’t think it will be that close, even as teams are trying to stay healthy and fresh for the next round. 

But I will say after seeing Ripley in person that they have a lot to sure up if they’re going to win on the road. While true that that scored 15 on the Trojans, one TD came on the opening KO where Dburg had personnel confusion. And 78 of Ripley’s 101 yards of offense came off a deflection TD that may have been tipped in the air more than once. 

If Sheffield can get comfortable in the pocket Jackson could have a huge night. 

Edited by tennesseeannouncer
Typo

Trojans have about 4 or 5 out with injuries.  Friday, against Ripley the 4th string QB played entire second half.  From just rumors ( not official news ) is that the starting QB is probably out for season. 

My personal opinion is Dyersburg should be fine.  Just depends on how the team responds.

Edited by mg

Dyersburg qb/safety/punter, John Morris Trowbridge, is out for the season with a torn acl. Awesome freaking kid and I ABSOLUTELY hate it for him! Played his heart out every play! Good news is I feel like no one, in west Tennessee, can beat us on the ground. They’ll have to pass effectively to move the ball on us. I believe we can run the ball on anyone, if OUR COACHES HAVE THE RIGHT OL ON THE FIELD. This is a deep Trojan team, but cannot replace John Morris. 

1 hour ago, TrojanLC said:

Dyersburg qb/safety/punter, John Morris Trowbridge, is out for the season with a torn acl. Awesome freaking kid and I ABSOLUTELY hate it for him! Played his heart out every play! Good news is I feel like no one, in west Tennessee, can beat us on the ground. They’ll have to pass effectively to move the ball on us. I believe we can run the ball on anyone, if OUR COACHES HAVE THE RIGHT OL ON THE FIELD. This is a deep Trojan team, but cannot replace John Morris. 

So, recalling the Dyersburg 24-0 win over Covington in the third game of the season. I thought the game was pretty even in the first half until Covington roughed your punter. The Trojans then drove the length of the field and kicked a field goal to go up 3-0 at the half.

The second half was all Dyersburg, and from my point of view, y’all changed your offense and took it to us with the passing game. Our freshmen and sophomore DB’s either gave up pass plays, or big scrambles by the QB. So, my question is whether Trowbridge was the QB we faced that night? If so, y’all may miss him a lot. 

1 hour ago, TrojanLC said:

Careful! You may be ok until you run into the brick wall of Alcoa! They are on a level us west tenn. folks can only wish to see. And yes, I am a Covington fan saying that! I wish yall the best (except for maybe the 3rd round LOL, if our teams make it to meet again) 

Go Chargers!

1 hour ago, CHARGERFAN said:

So, recalling the Dyersburg 24-0 win over Covington in the third game of the season. I thought the game was pretty even in the first half until Covington roughed your punter. The Trojans then drove the length of the field and kicked a field goal to go up 3-0 at the half.

The second half was all Dyersburg, and from my point of view, y’all changed your offense and took it to us with the passing game. Our freshmen and sophomore DB’s either gave up pass plays, or big scrambles by the QB. So, my question is whether Trowbridge was the QB we faced that night? If so, y’all may miss him a lot. 

At the half, Covington had 139 yards (81 passing, 58 rushing) while the Trojans had 119 yards (111 rushing, 8 passing). Dburg had 1 turnover and Covington had 0.

Covington had 21 yards in the second half (-2 rushing, 23 yards passing. Dburg had 199 yards in the second half (54 yards passing, 145 rushing). Covington had the only turnover in the second half.