Covington Coaching Staff

TheAccountant50

I'm hearing rumors that two former staff members one of which is a coordinator and the other is a head coach of other programs are now helping covington on the sideline during the playoffs. Is this legal? Can they do this? I also wonder how the kids and fans of the other two respective programs are feeling about their coaches helping another school go on a potential playoff run.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheAccountant50 said:

I'm hearing rumors that two former staff members one of which is a coordinator and the other is a head coach of other programs are now helping covington on the sideline during the playoffs. Is this legal? Can they do this? I also wonder how the kids and fans of the other two respective programs are feeling about their coaches helping another school go on a potential playoff run.

It does not matter. Covington Chargers will still not get mercy ruled this week. It will not happen. I guarantee it. Will you bet me? I am Captain Guru and I approve this message. 

2 hours ago, TheAccountant50 said:

I have no idea what you are eluding to but what a testimony to that program if you have former staff members wanting to be a part of the culture even after making a personal business decision to better themselves with a job promotion. I have not been tempted to go back to washing dishes after they put me on the hostess stand at Grecian! 

I’m also hearing rumors Marty Wheeler is back in West TN this week. Which current employer will he be pulling for tomorrow? Covington or Ripley? Find out tomorrow night on BIIIIIIIIIIIG BROTHERREERRRRRRRRRRRR 

Edited by PurplePeopleEater
added word

3 hours ago, TheAccountant50 said:

So an HC and a DC of two different programs are on the sideline helping their old employer now that their teams are done playing? Don't think I've seen that before. That's definitely not legal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestTNReclinerQB said:

So an HC and a DC of two different programs are on the sideline helping their old employer now that their teams are done playing? Don't think I've seen that before. That's definitely not legal.

Yep. Not only while their teams are done playing but they also helped coach for covington during the season as well. One coach coached for covington on a Thursday night and then turned around and coached for his current team the next night. Both coaches as well coached for covington during their current teams bye week. As a parent or fan of one of the other schools It would be hard for me to trust their commitment to my school and my kids.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheAccountant50 said:

Yep. Not only while their teams are done playing but they also helped coach for covington during the season as well. One coach coached for covington on a Thursday night and then turned around and coached for his current team the next night. Both coaches as well coached for covington during their current teams bye week. As a parent or fan of one of the other schools It would be hard for me to trust their commitment to my school and my kids.

If you are talking about a previous coach that’s currently a head coach walking his kid out for senior night in dress pants and a button down against Westview you hit the nail on the head. Great PI work! Boo this man for showing up for his kid!  

You are clearly wrong and have not the slightest idea what you are saying. If you are trying to have them fired, I promise you Covington would gladly take them back. They are two great men and coaches. 

12 minutes ago, PurplePeopleEater said:

If you are talking about a previous coach that’s currently a head coach walking his kid out for senior night in dress pants and a button down against Westview you hit the nail on the head. Great PI work! Boo this man for showing up for his kid!  

You are clearly wrong and have not the slightest idea what you are saying. If you are trying to have them fired, I promise you Covington would gladly take them back. They are two great men and coaches. 

Clearly No one  is talking about walking a kid out for senior night lol I’m talking about coaches coaching with headsets on the sideline. Now Obviously you are clearly wrong and don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about. It doesn’t take being a PI to see a screen shot of a Facebook post  lol Try not to be a homer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheAccountant50 said:

Clearly No one  is talking about walking a kid out for senior night lol I’m talking about coaches coaching with headsets on the sideline. Now Obviously you are clearly wrong and don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about. It doesn’t take being a PI to see a screen shot of a Facebook post  lol Try not to be a homer

I’ve never watched the Simpon’s; Never was able to pick that up on the ole tin foil  rabbit ears down here in “the poo” - Nankipoo for the people outside the 731. Appreciate the comparison to a cultural icon doh! 

56 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Cheaters! LOL

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that a high percentage of coaches remain active throughout the postseason even if the team they represent get eliminated. 

You are correct. This thing happens all the time. Been going on for years and is legal. Covington is doing. Otho g wrong and this thread is stupid. (See PurplePeopleEater… I can be a nice guy. :) )

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE
  • Thanks 1

Article I, Section 9 of the TSSAA Bylaws states the following:

All coaches must be registered with TSSAA annually and will fall under one of the following categories:

1. Full-time certified teacher (a minimum of 100 school days) of a board of education with a Tennessee teaching license or the equivalent.
  2. Retired educator (five or more years' experience) with a valid Tennessee state teaching license or the equivalent.
  3. Non-faculty coach – Anyone approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of education in the normal course of employment procedures in accordance with applicable state law.
  4. Classified Employee – Any individual employed by a member school or school system in a position that does not require a teaching license or the equivalent. A Classified Employee must be employed 30 hours or more per week in a non-coaching position and may not be an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor.

Use of a coach who does not meet all the requirements listed below or the use of a Non-faculty Coach or Classified Employee Coach who has not been submitted to the state office shall result in a fine of $500.00. Use of a full-time certified teacher or retired educator who has not been submitted to the state office prior to the date of first contest allowed by the Sports Calendar shall result in a fine of $50.00.

Coaching Requirements Checklist

Retired Educators (five or more years of teaching experience) & Full-Time Certified Teachers (those who are currently teaching a minimum of 100 school days) are not considered non-faculty. These individuals have no other requirements. These individuals must be submitted by the principal to TSSAA each year.

High School Classified Employees and Non-Faculty Coaches

_____ Must be approved by principal, director of schools, and/or school board each year.

_____ Must be submitted by the principal to TSSAA each year.

_____ Must successfully complete the NFHS “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “First Aid, Health, & Safety for Coaches” courses prior to coaching.*

Middle School Classified Employees and Non-Faculty Coaches

_____ Must be approved by the principal, director of schools, and/or school board each year.

_____ Must be submitted by the principal to TMSAA each year.

_____ Must successfully complete the NFHS “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “First Aid, Health, & Safety for Coaches” courses prior to coaching.*

• Like 2