Semifinals - West vs Walker Valley

WestHigh4Life

11 hours ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Early thoughts on this one? 

Walker Valley has an exciting dual threat qb that really put up yards both through the air and on the ground.

West defense has allowed 5 total pts through 3 playoff games!

Should be a fun one next Friday Night at Bill Wilson Field!

I would say 3. Not sure I would give the safety to the defense. Shocked by this one. West seemed to be in great shape and Powell looked they haven’t conditioned since the summer. 

12 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

I like West to win. WV’s offense is impressive especially when the QB is making plays. Honestly WV should have thrown the ball more against Clinton last night. WV was picking Clinton’s secondary apart. 

However, West’s defense is the reason they win this game. 

Rhea,

How does Walker defense look? Stronger against the pass or the run? Big upfront with lots of speed in the backfield? Just curious

9 hours ago, WestHigh4Life said:

Rhea,

How does Walker defense look? Stronger against the pass or the run? Big upfront with lots of speed in the backfield? Just curious

Well rounded is the best way to describe them. They only give up about 13 pts a game and have 3 shutouts. They tackle very well and do a good job of keeping things in front of them. However, they don’t necessarily force a lot of turnovers or come away with a lot of sacks either. They have a good run defense led by their linebackers. The defensive line has plays well against the run but they don’t get a ton of pressure. Secondary has some good athletes that can play. 

Offensively the passing game is very dangerous and Schwarzl is the cog that makes that offense go. They don’t turn the ball over. I think Schwarzl has thrown 2 picks all year and they haven’t lost any fumbles. 

If you look at the 2 losses Walker Valley has East Ham and Bradley. The two common things is both teams ran the ball very well on WV and Schwarzl the QB did not play very well. 

WV can’t afford a slow start on offense this game. If they come out firing and having success, this could be a really good game. 

For West they have to shut down Schwarzl. Keep him in check and west rolls in to Chattanooga 

Edited by Rhea Co.
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we need to overcomplicate this matchup. 

West has allowed 5 points post season. Walker Valley has allowed 64.  Their opponents for the post-season have similar records. 

Have to believe that the only Defense that was comparable to West that WV has faced was Bradley Central.  

Yes WV has three shut-outs.  They were also shutout once.

WV really hasn't played a schedule to prepare them for this game.  On the BC game was a really tough opponent and that ended very badly.  The strength of schedule ratings from Maxp arent even comparable.  

But I will say, WV and Rhea county in particular have always been very tough blue collar teams.  That's what I expect to see in this game.   But west has also shown a bluecollar mindset since the current coach arrived.  and now they have the belief they can win it all.  I don't know what they have coming up, but they sure seem like they could stay good for quite a while.

• Like 1