Coalfield High School Basketball

CYJACKETT

Coalfield is ranked 419th out of 421 total teams for the 2024 season. We rank as the third lowest from the bottom in the entire division. Overall Record: 4-12 Coached by Head Coach Shelley Burgess and Assistants Brayden Burgess and Jeremy Shannon. Why do we struggle so bad with basketball? 

50 minutes ago, CYJACKETT said:

Coalfield is ranked 419th out of 421 total teams for the 2024 season. We rank as the third lowest from the bottom in the entire division. Overall Record: 4-12 Coached by Head Coach Shelley Burgess and Assistants Brayden Burgess and Jeremy Shannon. Why do we struggle so bad with basketball? 

Coalfield Yellow Jackets have been mercy ruled by Scott Highlanders, Oneida Indians,  Midway Waves, and  McMinn Chargers this season. Coalfield Yellow Jackets are good at baseball and football. It is hard for a school the size of Coalfield Jackets to be good in all sports. McMinn Chargers mercy ruled Coalfield Yellow Jackets twice in the same game this year. McMinn Chargers beat Coalfield Yellow Jackets 89-26. That is a difference of 63 points. That means if McMinn Chargers had scored 12 more points it would have been three mercy rules in one game. The others just mercy ruled them one time in each game. It happened this year. I guarantee it. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

I would think there is a combination of factors involved.  Obviously based off their record, they are lacking talent, but are all their athletes playing other sports? Sometimes in small schools that have success in football, athletes are controlled by coaches to focus in on one sport. I have no idea if that’s the case here, but small schools need to share their athletes especially the better ones. I’m a strong supporter of multi sport athletes, as they need to experience playing any sport they choose.  A coach of another sport should never make a student choose one sport over another. Administration should control this if it happens at any school. Also, it seems that basketball struggles in all the Morgan County schools as indicated by their records. Oakdale is 6-12, Sunbright is 5-15, Coalfield is 4-12, and Warburg is 4-17. That’s a combined overall record of 19-56.  I have no idea if these schools are able to obtain quality coaches and if that’s in play too for lack of success. Some small schools are lucky to find anyone in the building to coach and have to reach out into the community to find coaches. It does seem that Warburg has fallen on hard times since Coach Joe Layne left. These schools have experienced success in the past, but it seems all the Morgan county schools are struggling now in basketball. It would be my hope that all coaches are sharing their athletes. I always thought a rule of thumb in small schools, is never touch a player of a sport until the season is over that the student is participating in. Never make a baseball player miss practice so he can attend spring football practice or make a football player miss practice to attend open gym.  Just my two cents worth.  Hope Morgan County can improve their basketball programs in the future.  

Edited by Orangeslide

My, oh my!  Seems that some folks will follow any CoachT board to bash on a rival like Coalfield.  

So, are you saying because Coalfield is good in football and baseball then they should be good in basketball…..with the same athletes?

Was Michael Jordan dominant in baseball as he was basketball?  Same guy.  Would he be dominant in football, hockey, pickle ball, darts, pool, or beer pong too? Well….maybe beer pong.

Do you think Bobby Knight, Rick Patino, Pat Reilly, or John Wooden could teach a 16 year old kid to dribble, rebound, shoot free throws, grow 17 inches, increase lateral movement, and increase every player’s vertical jump to 47 inches?

My point being, you can’t judge a basketball player by their other sport prowess.  You can’t judges a coach by wins and losses.  And most importantly….CYJACKET IS NOT FROM COALFIELD!  It is from Oliver Springs!

Think about it!

It may have something to do with the high school coaching.  I mean, the middle school team is always good so maybe an assistant from the middle school go help the high school or maybe an assistant should get the High School coach position.  In my opinion Coalfield isn't too bad in basketball it could be a hit and miss type of program.  I would love to coach out there.  They could win.