Coaches Belittling Kids

WrestlingGod

Andrew Tomlinson..

Sometimes personalities just don't mesh. I get it. Him and I have been around wreslting in the MidTN for years but haven't ever been close. For years I've watched him refuse to shake kids hands at tournaments, yell at other coaches from across the mat, refuse to shake hands after duals and other things. He's always rubbed me the wrong way. 

But this one takes the cake. 

A grown man belittling, a soon to be, 2x state champ and division 1 commit. Landon Desselle. 

After a match last weekend at Regionals Landon had just won a match and was walking into the hallway to do sprints when he saw and heard Coach Tomlinson talking about him to another coach. No good things being said from Andrew. Mrs Desselle then heard him talking down about her son too and had to be forcibly held back by parents and coaches. 

This wasn't the fist time either as Coach Tomlinson had been talking bad about Landon at the Blackhorse Inv too saying that "Ohio State doesn't even know who he is" and "he's not built for the Big 10" and "should've just gone to UTC" when another coach, who i wont name, who had overheard it, turned and defended him.  

I only know of this story becaue of my relationship with the Desselle family. If he's talking bad about one kid you can CERTANLY bet he's doing it to others. And if he's willing to talk like this to kdis that aren't in his program imagine how he is to kids that ARE at Nolensville. 

A grown man, belittling a child. Disgraceful. 

Edited by WrestlingGod
  • Upvote 2

I will say this I wasn’t there for the situation this last weekend but it has been building up for 4 years. 

1. It’s not the first time he has talked about my kid in a negative manner. We have heard about it from other coaches, kids and even from his wrestlers. I have a huge network of people that I keep in touch with, he must not know. 

2. I don’t concern myself with people like him so I brush it off and focus on the people that have my son’s best interest at hand. Mom on the other has had enough of it and it finally came out. 

3. Landon did snap back at him when he overheard and that issue has been addressed. 

4. I will be the first to admit my son is an a**hole on that mat and carries a chip with because of coaches like him. We don’t wrestle for Williamson county championships we wrestle like we are going D1 and that won’t change. But if you actually know my kid you know he’s far from it. 

Edited by desselle
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, desselle said:

I will say this I wasn’t there for the situation this last weekend but it has been building up for 4 years. 

1. It’s not the first time he has talked about my kid in a negative manner. We have heard about it from other coaches, kids and even from his wrestlers. I have a huge network of people that I keep in touch with, he must not know. 

2. I don’t concern myself with people like him so I brush it off and focus on the people that have my son’s best interest at hand. Mom on the other has had enough of it and it finally came out. 

3. Landon did snap back at him when he overheard and that issue has been addressed. 

4. I will be the first to admit my son is an a**hole on that mat and carries a chip with because of coaches like him. We don’t wrestle for Williamson county championships we wrestle like we are going D1 and that won’t change. But if you actually know my kid you know he’s far from it. 

Landon wrestles for Summit Spartans Wrestling. He is a big strong wrestler. I hope he goes to a D1 school and keeps wrestling. No one should talk negative about a kid. I do not blame you for being upset. It should never ever happen. I guarantee it. Summit Spartans had a good team ad Landon is a good wrestler. I hope he does well. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

I’ll chime in on this one as well. Last season Nolensville came to Bradley for their Senior Night. Full Line-up. When it came to Bryson Terrell’s match he forfeits to him. Knowingly that it was Sr night. They felt they could beat Bradley last season but it backfired. I get possibly injuring a kid? But it was the last time that “B” would wrestle in that gym in front of his home crowd. 
But I’ve heard from others that he is the say he is. And yeah Landon is going on to bigger and better things. The same was said about my cousin years ago when he signed with Oklahoma State. I was in my Sr year at UTC. I was told that he wouldn’t make it either and that I should I talk him into coming there as well. I told my coach some choice words picked up my stuff and left. That was my last practice for them. Rusty went on and did well. I mean hey they won 4 National Championships. And he started for John two years in a row. He’s just jealous of Landon.