And so it begins…

Openings as of 26FEB2024

Boys:

• Stewarts Creek

Girls:

• Brentwood

• Davidson Academy

• Mt Juliet

Perry County Boy’s has an opening. They have lots of young talent in Kenner Haston-going into Soph. year(son of Kirk Haston), Colton Pevahouse-Jr, Landon Warren-Soph, Jake Mercer-Jr. Also Haston’s younger son will be an 8th grader this year who will be good. 
Lots of talent just lacked coaching this year. 

21 hours ago, VikingFan99 said:

Perry County Boy’s has an opening. They have lots of young talent in Kenner Haston-going into Soph. year(son of Kirk Haston), Colton Pevahouse-Jr, Landon Warren-Soph, Jake Mercer-Jr. Also Haston’s younger son will be an 8th grader this year who will be good. 

Larry Helton is a good basketball coach. Lots of talent for sure, but youth still has to get experience and grit that only comes through being worked through the fire of playing games. This team will undoubtedly have a window of 4-5 years where the expectation should be state tournament but it's tough to do with Freshmen and Sophomores. I am interested to see who takes this job. There will be pressure to succeed immediately. 

51 minutes ago, Charger731 said:

Larry Helton is a good basketball coach. Lots of talent for sure, but youth still has to get experience and grit that only comes through being worked through the fire of playing games. This team will undoubtedly have a window of 4-5 years where the expectation should be state tournament but it's tough to do with Freshmen and Sophomores. I am interested to see who takes this job. There will be pressure to succeed immediately. 

Very questionable coaching from him this year. It looked like he was in over his head. Between the lack of offensive sets and the lack of pre game preparation I would say it was time for him to go. 
With that being said, this should be a highly desirable job. 

1 hour ago, VikingFan99 said:

Very questionable coaching from him this year. It looked like he was in over his head. Between the lack of offensive sets and the lack of pre game preparation I would say it was time for him to go. 
With that being said, this should be a highly desirable job. 

I agree, great opportunity for somebody to step in and have immediate success. I am very interested to see who comes in. I've heard rumblings that the coaching move was made with a specific target in mind. Haven't heard who, but if they don't land their first choice, I would like to see the names that apply. 

On 3/5/2024 at 12:51 PM, Charger731 said:

I agree, great opportunity for somebody to step in and have immediate success. I am very interested to see who comes in. I've heard rumblings that the coaching move was made with a specific target in mind. Haven't heard who, but if they don't land their first choice, I would like to see the names that apply. 

At the girls state tournament last week it was being told that Greg Tipps was going to take that job if he was allowed to coach both boys and girls there at Perry Co. 

11 hours ago, ICrushBigOrange said:

At the girls state tournament last week it was being told that Greg Tipps was going to take that job if he was allowed to coach both boys and girls there at Perry Co. 

Seems like he has a good thing at Loretto. Why leave?

On 3/4/2024 at 12:22 PM, VikingFan99 said:

Think this sets up for the return of the Hoosier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 10:27 PM, Yellowstone said:

Think this sets up for the return of the Hoosier.

You called it. Kirk Haston is returning to the sideline. Pretty cool story when you think about him coaching his sons in the future. That team has a great chance to be a state contender here soon.