White County Coaching Staff

Hoopngal

Guest gangstalovin

Heard from a couple of sources that after a couple of losses coach Slatten has been throwring temper tantrums and crying in the locker room. What kind of example is he setting for his team if this is true? Sounds like its time for this man to either stink it up and be a man or hit the road.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PINKPANTHER most larger schools now have freshman teams for 9th grade only, JV usually for the better freshmen,sophmores,juniors and maybe a senior coming back from an injury, sickness, etc. and then the varsity where the best players on the team play. It gives everyone plenty of PT, and should help develop a program.

Guest missedit

Why can't everyone be positive about Slatten? Yes, he has lost games that he probably should have won. All people do is get on here and bad mouth Coach Slatten. No wonder players and fans dont like him. Slatten hasn't quit because he isn't winning. So obviously something is right about him. He isn't going to give up and he not only believes in himself but also his players. No one cares about Whited. He is long gone and moved on to bigger and better things. If all of you people on here think you can do better than Slatten then maybe you should apply for the coaching job. Espically you Fastereddie....since you are a "coach" anyway.

Guest Huserdaddy

If what was said about the crying and temper tantrums is true, then there needs to be a change at White Co. Sure all coaches lose their temper from time to time, but moslty as a result of a bad call. If Slatten is doing it as a way to "cry" about losing, then you have to question his professionalism. I say that if I show up to work for two straight years and fail to do my job, I would lose it. If I were a student and failed all of my tests for two years, then I would be kicked out of college. The point is, if Slatten can't do it get someone who can. And about forgetting Whited, if you want to, then go ahead. However, I won't forget a coach who put White Co. boys Basketball at a new level. :o

When will everybody get off Slatten's back. Hasn't he been talked about on here enough. I know him very well and the person ya'll talk ugly about, doesn't even remind me of the same man. Let's drop this thread, and maybe you can start talking about someone else. Basketball only has 2 possible outcomes, you win or lose. If White Co. was winning, would you all still be talking so nasty about him or would winning satisfy you? ;)

Guest reverselayup

I'm new but I find this discussion interesting. I named myself reverselayup because I disagree with what layup has said mostly. I can't say you should fire Slatten because I am not part of the program, however something needs to be looked at becasue of the severe dropoff in boys basketball performance. I do know that a lot of boys quit the team when slatten arrived, and I wonder what goes on behind closed doors.

To all you Slatten abusers. Unless you have walked a day in his shoes, cut the man some slack. The Livingston loss was not his fault. You can't have a 4 point lead with 1 minute and 26 seconds left on the clock and blame the loss on the coach or coaches. The team played great ball until this time frame where they fell apart. The players are going to have to step and start taking care of the ball and scoring some points. ;)

I posted this on another thread, but I think it's appropriate on this one too.

Sooner or later, the players on a team have got to be held accountable for something. Sparta had the Livingston game won. I was there. They were up by 4 with just over a minute left to play. They made 2 mental errors that cost them the game. There was a very questionable no-call by the refs in there, but those happen in every game. The boys blew it themselves tonight. I hate to say it, but it's true. A coach can't control anything once the players hit the floor. It's up to the players then. Livingston had a better team than Sparta. I think Slatten and Dotson had them well-prepared. The blame for this loss goes to the boys on the team. They played a great game, except for the last minute. They had the win, but let it slip away.

I also said on that thread that bad teams usually cost coaches their jobs. If Slatten quits or loses his job, it won't be because he is a bad coach. It will be because he wasn't given the time, talent, or community support to get the program going again. In case people haven't noticed it, Sparta is in a rebuilding period right now. Any coach would be struggling with this team. A coach can't do everything. Players have to step up at some point. Sparta only has one player capable of stepping up right now. The team is young, however. Time and experience are going to make things better. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't want Slatten to be gone. He's a good guy and a good coach. Someone on this thread from Perry Co. said they would love to have him back. If the people of Sparta will be patient, eventually they will be begging him not to leave.

Man, I'm glad I've already got more supporters than Slatten (joke). First of all I try to keep from bashing Slatten and if I have actually bashed him then I'm sorry. However, all I've done is argue that Slatten is not getting the most out of what he has. If that is bashing then could someone please tell me what the message boards are for again. I think they could have won more games than they have considering who they have played. Maybe I'm alone on that one. Just my opinion though. If I was bashing Slatten I would constantly talk about how bad he must be, and how I heard he did this and that. I just get on here and say that I don't think he is doing as good a job as could be done right now. I hope he turns it around though, and I really mean that. I want to see the best for those boys, and for White Co. (that includes Slatten..;)