Fouls

Eddie

No Eddie it isn't much fun to watch the refs blow the whistle but they need to make an effort to clean up the game. In the past several years play in the post has ressembled the WWF and hand checking and reaching on the outside is out of control. Coaches teach your kids to move their feet and get into positon and the refs will stop blowing the whistle. I have refed for 20 plus years and I get tired of listening to people say let them play. My comment to the coach is always the same I will let them play Basketball but I won't let them wrestle in the post or put their hands on players and reach in. Get into position and move your feet. I relize that no one likes to watch a free throw shooting contest but officials have a responsibility to call the game in accordance to the rules. Sorry I got on a soap box

red... do you watch any games at the next level? the game there is COMPLETELY different than the free throw shooting contests the ref's now call. no wonder tn has a hard time getting their players into college to stay, THEY HAVE TO LEARN AN ENTIRELY NEW GAME!!!!!! you say that players get out of control but i submit if you let them play, wouldn't they get used to the physical game and maybe learn to prosper in it... the state tourney every year has some of the most physical play seen, so shouldn't we be getting our kids ready for that kind of play? in the larger cities the play seems to be alot more physical and they are already adjusted... i was once an official and a coach so i can speak with some knowledge... noone gets any better when the officials(by allowing so many free throws) decide the game!!!! :x

I agree to a point. The officials shouldn't decide the game and as I said earlier no one likes to watch a free throw shooting contest. But officials must enforce the rules. Physical play is part of the game but in some cases it gets to the point that a plyers skill is taken out of the equation. If player is gaining an unfair advantge due to their physical play then a foul should be called. When a player puts his hand on the ball handlers hip he can gain an unfair advantage especially if he is stronger. Basketball is primarily a game of skill and it is important that a big strong physical player is not allowed to gain an unfair advantage. Basketball should be played with you feet . Move your feet, get into positon, and don't reach and in most cases the rsf's will not blow the whistle.

I have been to several games so far and the 1st 2 nights it was whistle city. there were 83 fouls called the 1st night and 71 the 2nd. Since then it is back to normal. I guess a statement was being made. As long as it is consistent, no complaints. Kids will have to learn to adjust night to night, not saying they should have to, but it seems that is how it is going to be. just like adjusting to defenses, presses, etc.

RULE 10, FOULES AND PENALTIES

SECTION 6, CONTACT

ARTICLE 1 . . . A player shall not: hold, push, charge, trip; nor impede the progress of an opponent by extending an arm, shoulder, hip or knee, or by bending the body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics. He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponents hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball. The use of hands on an opponent in any way that inhibits the freedom of movement of the opponent or acts as an aid to a player in starting or stopping is not legal. Extending the arms fully or partially other than vertically so that freedom of movement of an opponent is hindered when contact with the arms occurs is not legal. These positions are employed when rebounding, screening or in various aspects of post play. A player may not use the forearm and hand to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during a dribble or when throwing for goal. It is a form of pushing when the player holding the ball is contacted by a defensive player who approaches from behind. Contact that is caused by the momentum of a player who has thrown for goal is a form of charging.

PENALTY: Personal Foul. Offender is charged with one foul, and if it is his/her fifth foul (personal and technical) or if it is flagrant, he/she is disqualified.

Hope this helps. The book is full of other little bits of information that may help you better understand and enjoy the game of BASKETBALL.

You know, we can all read and reread the rules all we want to, but what it all comes down to is interpretation. How one official views a foul could be totally different than another official. One night an official may call a handcheck and the official the next night won't.

[Edited by Celinafan on 12-11-02 6:17P]