Livingston vs. White Co.

The General

Let's say I'm a basketball player. The guy across from me on the other team keeps beating me. Is that my coach's fault? No. It's mine. I need to either get better or get out of the way. It's my coach's job to help me get better. If Sparta is as good or better than all of these teams, why do they keep getting beat? A coach has to have his players in a position to win games. That's where they were against Livingston, but they blew it. I'm trying my best not to knock Sparta's players, but they're not getting it done. Games are won or lost on the floor, not on the bench. Livingston beat Sparta on the floor. Sparta beat Upperman on the floor. They were just on the wrong end of a lot of calls in that game. Sparta's team has looked well-prepared in every game I have seen. That's the coach's job. The team has played well for the most part. There have just been lapses. It was the start of the 3rd quarter against Upperman, and the last minute of the game against Livingston. Execution failed in both cases. Maybe Slatten didn't have the right players in the games to get the job done. The fault for the bad record is a combination of both coaches and players. Sadly, players can't be changed. Haley can't go out and bring in a whole new team. He can only bring in a new person to coach the same team. I think the results would be about the same. It does no good to argue back and forth about this. We're on different sides. We both just need to go out as often as we can to support the team, and let what happens happen.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of the points you made. Just judging from your previous post it seemed like you didn't think slatten should have any fault for any game. I agree at some point the players have to step up and play, you are exactly right. I just thought you were saying it was all the players fault and no one elses. The players have to do their job and so does the coach. You brought up a point I'd like to hit on real quick though. You said maybe Slatten didn't have the right players in at the end of the game. I can't speak about the livingston game I wasn't there, and I haven't been there at the end of a lot of the guys games. However, I was at the end of the Tullahoma game (which they won) and I thought Slatten had a lot of questionable substitutions late in the game. I remember a point in the last minute or so (the other team was pressing frantically trying to catch up) and Slatten has Jarvis Williams, Seth England, Adam Drake, B.A., and Ryan Qualls all in the game at the same time. Just didn't seem like a line up you would want on the floor to handle the ball and shoot free throws. Not to mention the Warriors caught a technical in the last minute or so, I can't remember what that was for though for sure. I think it was cause

Qualls was on the floor and shouldn't have been or something. It wasn't Slattens fault, but you can't offord your players making mistakes that elementary late in a game like that. I don't know though that is just one game like I said, but I just thought I would let you see where I'm coming from on some of my opinions. I think its more of the little stuff like that, game time decisions that has hurt Slatten and the Warriors. Like you said preparation wise they must not be to bad cause they have been in a lot of ball games but lost them. You going to be at the games this weekend though pinkpanther? Should be interesting to see what adjustments are made if any for the next few weeks to try and get this thing turned around.

I might not make it on Friday, but I will definitely be at the Shootout on Saturday.

Now I'm confused too. That post was directed at a missedit. He/She was going back and forth with somebody else and trying to figure out who each other was. It was something about did they speak to each other at a game or something. It sounded like they were trying to get together. Maybe I read it on another thread. I try to look at all the ones involving Sparta, boys or girls. It might have been on a girls' thread. I don't see missedit's posts on this one. I probably put my sarcastic remark in the wrong place. I do stupid things pretty often.