RBS?

ELA

Once again you have been misinformed. Coach Owens does not forbid his players to play football. They chose not to play because of the way the football program was being ran, along with the fact that their parents would not allow them to play. I believe that most of Coach Owens Junior high starters played football. So, next time know from where you speak.

I will agree with you on your assessment of what the program needs to be successful and wish the next coaches of RBS and Clay Co. the best of luck. :D:o

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone explain what the problems were at RBS?

Being in Trousdale Co., and having played RBS every year

when we were in the same region & 1A, I hate to hear they are having any more difficulties to overcome than they already had. You have to admire these kids for even showing up, game after game/year after year. Has to be very discouraging, winning 1 or 2 games a year. Don't think I could do it. I'm not needing peoples names; don't know any of them anyway, just curious about a former Region mate.

:o

My information came from someone VERY close to the program (i.e. coach, teacher, etc.) but if the information was wrong, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I knew Coach Owens for a brief time when he was at Celina before moving back to RBS in the summer of 2000 and I told our principal then I wish I could have talked him into coaching DB's and Receivers. Maybe the new head coach could talk him into doing that at RBS... or maybe he could be interested in the position as Head football coach at RBS? ONe thing is for sure, the next coach MUST find a way to get the talent within the school out for football! I wish them well!

Just to let you know. I have never known Coach Owens to tell his basketball players not to play football, they just chose not to. And I never told any of the baseball players while I was there not to play. I think both of us tried to encourage players to play. Again the players chose not to play on their own not by what anyone was telling them.

i was around RBS basketball for nearly 8 years through 4 head coaches. not once did i ever hear one of them tell their players not to play football. I know to many parents that refused to let their kids play because of the coaching and discipline situation(the problem was their was no discipline). I hope they give the job to the guy who needs it and deserves it. He may not win any more games but I guarantee there will be discipline.

I know several people who teach and have coached there at RBS. I have talked to several of the current students there as well. One of the problems is to get the players out. Can RBS play for the state championship every year no, but they can be better than they have been before I think so. It is easy to

get players to come out to a winning program but it is tough to try to get players to come out for a team

that has been losing. Can it be done YES but will it

happen? RBS is a very small single A school so they need

all of the players to play all sports for them to be able to

compete against other schools their size. I know that Coach Elrod never told his players not to play football. But one problem schools the sizes of RBS is going to have is to find a coach from the outside that can take the pay cut. I have heard that the new coach will be the middle school coach. I really dont think that they will try to find a coach from anywhere else. Is this good or bad? The middle school coach knows the kids and the problems that are there now and maybe he can fix them. The ast. football will be an asset to the program, maybe he should try and get the job himself? I think it would be a good job 3 or 4 years down the road because I think the kids are tough and would work for the right coach. I was told one of the reason that Coach Elrod lefted was because of the pay....coaches have bills like everyone else and they need to do the best for there family so finding the coach to take a pay cut will be very hard to find. Someone said maybe a coach who is about ready to retire, but your retirement is build on your last five years of coaching so why would someone who is ready to retire take a pay cut? A teacher and a coach who has 15 years teaching with a BS and who is coaching football only as an assistant in Metro would make $47,574 a year, with a master he would make $51,595. Do you think he could make that in Macon County? That is a problem with finding someone to come there to coach from the outside. The people in Macon County are and I hope they find the right coach. ;) I think it would be fun trying!! :):)