HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Sequatchie:
Posted by Opperman:

Schuerholz gives Millwood away for JOHNNY ESTRADA!?!?!?

That's one of the dumbest trades in the history of professional sports, folks. There is no defensible reason to make it.

You can't blame it on the Braves blame it on AOL! They are sending the Braves down!

Sure I can blame it on the Braves. Schuerholz overspent because he thought Maddux would be gone, needlessly spending money for Byrd, Hampton, and Ortiz. Then he got caught with his pants down when Maddux accepted arbitration, and he panicked to unload salary in December even though they don't have to start paying that salary until April.

Although I find the trade perplexing, being a lifelong Braves fan, beginning with the days of Felipe Alou, Rico Carty and Felix Milan, I try to find the silver lining.

1: Millwood is overrated, I believe. He had a fine 2002 but how many seasons has he been simply medicore? I bet you that Leo Mazzone had a big say in who to dump.

2: Johnny Estrada could pan out as an everyday catcher. It's true, he has a chance. And let's face it, Javy Lopez's best days were 3 years ago.

3: I trust Sureholds.. he's been able to keep them in the hunt, year in and year out for 12 years, until he fails, I continue to support him.

A rotation of Maddox, Ortiz, Hampton, Byrd and Marquis looks pretty imposing. Plus, Ray King as a setup guy will make people forget Remlinger, turst me the guy is A-1.

Now, let's get a really good first baseman.. ha

Millwood isn't overrated. He had a mediocre season or two right around the injury, but he was great before it and great after it.

Johnny Estrada stinks. He could be an everyday player, but he can't be a good everyday player.

Schuerholz has made some really dumb moves the last three or four years, but he's gotten away with most of them. It's about to catch up with them.

Maddux, Ortiz, Hampton, Byrd, and Marquis isn't bad. What about Maddux, Millwood, Moss, Marquis, and somebody else for less money? Schuerholz panicked because he thought Maddux was leaving, so he hurried up and got several others...and then he got caught with his pants down when Maddux accepted arbitration.

Opperman, I always respect your insight into the Majors because like myself, I know you are a passionate fan. But, I have never considered Millwood "great".. I agree that Sureshots could have gotten more but I think finances has everything to do with this deal.

Anwyays, I think they signed a decent 1B in Robert Fick. But I would have liked to have seen more than a one year deal. Disturbingly, it seems like everything with everyone (except maybe the Phillies) is geared towards the "band-Aid" fix this season

I hate the Braves so my opinion will be a little bias, but here goes. Chipper Jones stinks in the outfield, he was an above average 3B but he is just an average outfielder now. They have a 1B, his name is Wes Helms but they don't have faith in him for some reason, he's my favorite player on the team, well him and Andrew. I don't know what's happened to Javy he was very good for what about 5 years he's kind of gone down the last two. The stupidest thing the Braves have done though is trade John Rocker. Everybody knows the only reason they did it is because Hank Aaron told them to. Millwood was a very average or less than average pitcher. He had a few lucky years. Maddox is getting old, I think Byrd and my uncle Mike Hampton are both good pitchers and should benefit from going to Atlanta, they will now have fans who will get behind them. I think it is getting close to time for Bobby Cox to retire. He has had a great 10 or 12 year run. I'm glad they let Glavine go, they didn't need him. Jason Marquis can be a great pitcher, if they let him. He's a starter and they should leave him there. They will probably win their division again this year, but only because it is weak. I just finished baseball practice and I have got to have a shower, but those are my thoughts on the Braves. Go CARDINALS-Tickets on sale January 18. ;)