**NEW IDEA**Resources/Enrollment Classification Pl

wildcatfan

Wildcatfan-

Would your plan work...yes considering that dogbreath just said that privates have better facilities he hit the nail right on the head. It seems as though enrollment is not an actual advantage. It used to be if one army had 10,000 men and another army had 10,000 men it was pretty fair fight...but now people don't believe that which is crazy in my opinion but oh well...

Anyway back to your plan. I don't see it ever getting implemented because it is a radical change. I like your plan because it does offer flexibility...one could add a merit system to it etc. Heaven knows that there are many schools that are 4A that are just plain terrible. They are good in other sports (White Station, Bolton) but in football they just don't pull their weight. There are only two problems I see with your plan after looking at it a few times.

1-It is somewhat different then what most people are accustomed to, familiarity is not there and that could be a problem for many people.

2-It does put private and public back together which is a blessing and a curse. Do I wish they would play together? Yes... Do publics want to play the privates? No

Neither of those things is really a flaw with your plan, and neither can really be tweeked out. Both of them are the problems with most plans...unless you are for a split then #2 will always be a problem. And any kind of change whether it be a split, merit system, or mathematical formula will make many people not want the change...neither is really a knock against your plan since that is the case for just about any plan.

Dogbreath-I don't think you penalize a private school for having kids that want to learn, and then justify your actions of the public school kids for not wanting to work hard. We don't give lazy people better jobs, better cars, better houses for being lazy...No school, team, company, or family can sustain life if it rewards those who do not work as hard as others.

When your not working someone else is...

Now days people look at that and are telling the "someone else" that it is their fault for being better lol.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also,

I haven't seen any of the posts about the 1A athletes who got scholarships but I definitely believe it. So I guess since they are smarter that makes them better football players? So the football players at D1 schools are by far the smartest guys on campus? Are there some smart D1 football players...Yes...but being smart doesn't make you a good football player and being a good football player doesn't make you smart.

So you are saying that being intelligent in the classroom leads to being a good football player? Is that why the NCAA only requires football players to take 6 hours of class a semester? And some guys like Jessie Armstead still flunk out? Your argument doesn't hold up...If you think that the D1 football players are the cream of the crop academically and athletically I have to disagree with you. I do know what I'm talking about, my dad was one a division 1 basketball player at a little school by the name of Memphis State in 1973 the year they went to the title game. I go to school with D1 players right now, I talk to them. I have friends that are D1 football players at Ole Miss right now...and two from Mississippi State...all of them had to go to Junior College...there was a reason they went to JC, and it wasn't the beautiful countryside. If you would like their names, PM me and I will give them to you, and you will see.

Does being intelligent hurt you as a football player...NO it probably does help. But so does being able to run a 4.6, being able to remember things, being able to jump 40 inches off the ground, having a knack for finding the fotball, not having any fear, etc...You do not punish some schools for having kids that want to learn and want to succeed, and then tell others that as long as they just do the bare minimum they will be ok.

This is Wildcatfan's thread, he spent a lot of time working on it...I'm not going to argue about this, Feel free to write whatever you wish back, but I will not respond...I will comment on this enrollment classification thread but it is silly for us to argue a point like that where we both feel that we are correct, and I don't see a solution to it so I will not bother, a good post anyway pioneer.

I will continue to comment on this board, but not about the intelligence thing.

Pioneer 8991,

I will have to take issue with your comment about Shelbyville's good athletes being the basis for their success. Shelbyville recruits! Want me to name names? Abi Ramsey. Played at Grundy Co. her freshman year where she was the MVP of Grundy's state championship team. Recruited to Shelbyville her sophmore year, she now plays for the Lady 'Dores.

On this board, public school supporters over and over acuse privates of recruiting, but no names are ever mentioned and no specifics are ever given. Here is a specific public school recruiting act pure and simple. It's time for someone to point out at least one private school violation. If the privates recruit, let's have some names.

wildcatfan,

I realize the "NEW IDEA" is only a plan at this point, so hopefully, you could consider these thoughts:

Some of the previous merit based ideas used separate classifications for each sport (might be difficult to implement, but a good thought). With that in mind, consider that the total athletic budget in most single A public schools is spent almost entirely on football (and possibly basketball). One of the schools you used in your example budgets one dozen baseballs per year for its baseball team (I am pretty sure that is an accurate statement, but I will check to make sure I haven't mislead you). Why should the minor sports be penalized because of the huge amounts of money spent on the football team?

I am not trying to knock your plan, just give you something to think about. Keep working on it!

I would like to have people consider that any plan that is implemented would have controls, but in the end all systems come down to the honor of its members. any system can be cheated on. I think the vast Majority of schools abide by the rules. I do not think that a system could be devised that is CHEAT proof.I think that an attitude by all conserned that any plan that is addopted will be honestly follwed by all the schools, would go a long way to solving many of the problems we read about in these threads. Maybe one of the reasons we read so much about mistrust of private schools is that, not enough games are played between publics and privates during the reguler seasons.

RHS, good point. You know, its a difficult question- why should sport B be penalized when all of the budget is spent on sport A. That is a tough question to answer. Some would say classify schools by sports, butthen evry district is different. Maybe the solution could be fall, winter and spring sports classifications, so that each school is classified in a certain way for eac of the three sports seasons. goood input. I will continue to refine the plan.

Hope Santa gave everyone what they wanted!