New Wrestling Program

splainshornet

Posted by sly:

Didn't Carter have a wrestling program back in the 70's or 80's

Glad to hear you guys are back at it on the mat. Who is your coach?

Yes, We used to offer wrestling, but interested declined and the program was cut. Not sure who the coach is, but it will be AAU for a few years then hopefully become TSSAA for the High School aged participants

Not only did Carter have a program, but in the early 80's, Coach Jackson would take us to the Carter Invitational as our first tournament of the season. They had some tough kids. Hopefully, a few are still around and might lend a hand to get things started up again. It's great to see them cranking it back up.

Legman

I officiated many tournaments at Carter High before they dropped wresrling. I remember one time when legman was wrestling and one of his braces on his teeth came loose and was sticking out of his mouth. He was very upset with me when I told him that he couldn't wrestle with his brace sticking out. He was as competitive then as he is now. His coach was and is a true gentleman.

• 1 month later...

I do hope that they do once again start a wrestling team, but they must get it past their AD. I tried to convince him this summer to get a program going but "Brian Hartsell" is a basketball man and just sees it as a cost. Yes it does cost the first year but after that price is not continous once mats and uniforms are purchased.