Waverly vs. Henry Co.

Zech Teague got hurt in the Marshall County Christmas tournament. I am not sure if he is going to play or not. Regardless they have not been playing very well. Supposedly they played very well in that tournament...and still lost 2 out of 3 games. Specifically the last 1.5 games. They were down around 20 at the half to Marshall County and ended up losing 66-65(or something REALLY close). Then they came out on Saturday and beat Obion County by about 10. They are really struggling shooting the ball since the first few games.

great great game. Henry County wins 76-71. Incredible 4th quarter. Waverly went into it trailing by 19. I believe they scored on every possession except their last one. Waverly scored 39 points in the 4th. Henry County had 25 in the 4th. Bubba Nichols is a great player. The radio station credited him with 22...but I swear it seemed like he had that many in the 4th alone. Again according to readio Henry County was lead in scoring by Zech Teague and Wendell Sturdivant as usual. They were credited with 17 a piece. There was several nice no look passses...just some great great action in the 4th.

Henry County faces a very tough Clinton team tomorrow night.

This game was one of the best I have seen in a while Waverly trailed by 19 to start 4th and seemed dead the whole game. Waverly poured in 39!! in the fourth they had a chance but couldn't keep henry off the boards if they would have blocked out the game would have been different. Great game waverly and henry co.

what the difference was other than Bubba Nichols came alive(he either had 5 or 7 in the first half..and I still contend he had about 20 in the 4th). They just came out and wanted it and were red hot. Henry County was not playing bad...Waverly just could not miss. I mean at one point they hit 3 straight 3's. One of which was Bubba Nichols from right at 30 feet another one was a bank shot 3 by Nichols. There was probably only about 4 or 5 turnovers in the 4th quarter(at most). It was just absolutely perfect basketball by Waverly. It was just not quite enough to overcome they poor play in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. They REALLY got outplayed in the 3rd quarter...just as they outplayed Henry County in the 4th.

Henry County was WAY more athletic than Waverly. They created a ton of turnovers those quarters. I would guess Zech Teague had about 5 or 6 steals those 2 periods.

Anyways I can't stress what a great game it was...specifically the 4th period. I can't wait to go to Waverly and see the rematch. These 2 schools always play good games.

Finally this was actually the first time I have seen Henry County play this year. This was apparently one of their better efforts. The defensive intensity was VERY high and they rebounded great(after the first 5 minutes). They were apparently in a funk before last week and were just playing miserably bad. They shot poorly in the first half...but ended up shooting 50% for the game. Waverly shot 54% for the game. Including an oustanding 64% in the second half(I would guess about 90% in the 4th alone as they were HORRIBLE in the 3rd quarter).

[Edited by z0s022 on 1-3-03 11:54P]

Waverly showed a lot of heart in not giving up tonight and actually had a chance to win it in the 4th. The game recap basically is that Waverly was very rusty the first 3 quarters, the worst they have played all year. Everyone was cold shooting the ball, ball handling was shaky, defensive intensity wasn't there(luckily Henry County shot just as poorly) and the rebounding was nonexistent) But that is going to happen some nights, especially when you have a young team. However, the Tigers were down by 19 to start the 4th and finally caught fire and played more like the team that had won 9 straight. The best quarter of basketball by a team I have seen in a long time. Helped by Henry County's lack of discipline, but still Waverly lit it up. Bubba Nichols was incredible, scoring 17 in the 4th (don't think he missed a shot) and 28 for the game. Derrick Smith had some big 3's while Ricco Ralston penetrated at will. In the end though it was Waverly not being able to keep Henry County off the offensive glass that was the difference. The final quarter was fun to watch and I am definitely proud of the way the Tigers refused to give up. If you haven't seen them play you're missing quite a show.

again I hear they played poorly versus Lyon County. It was close and they just salted it away late on free throws...they won it by 10. Apparently Lyon County has a big time prospect that had a good game...he had 30. Henry County has really been cold the last few weeks. They were not on fire last night...but they shot better.

I will almost certainly be at the Kenwood game on Tuesday. I am wuite excited about the matchup. I do hope Henry County brings their "A" game...because when they do they are fun to watch....very athletic group that just tends to get out of control sometimes. Weaks yells and yells at them...maybe one of these seasons they will start listening before tournament time...