Columbia Central - Coach

BDURHAM

Columbia lost it's coach because he had no support from the administration. Columbia will never have a winning program in any sport until they start to discipline players. Coach Santel tried to do just that and got no support. The Lions lost a great coach that would have brought back discipline to the program. He was what Columbia needed and the Principal and A.D. are to blame.

You are exactly right. Couldn't have said it better. Question for some of the parents of the players. Some of you want your daughters to play at the college level.If they get there, are you gonna whine about how they are treated and try to tell the coach what to do or go to the A.D.? Parents of some of these girls want to win but they sure don't want their kids to work to hard or be told the truth about what they need to do to get better. They would never be able to play for teams like Shelbyville or Lawrenceburg because their parents couldn't take it. When this job was posted only about two people even applied because they knew they would get no support from the administration and probably parents. The administration wants only coaches they can control and that is why they will never get a state championship in any sport. The only reason they came so close in softball is because the team had played together so long under Bernard Childress. Their softball coach knew nothing of this team during the summers except what he read and heard, and also the administration had not coached this sport before and did not try to intervene. The success they had when Harlow was there was because he didn't allow them to tell him what to do and even though they tried he did what he wanted. The A.D. needs to come off his power trip and resign and the principal needs to butt out of the coaching aspect. There definitly needs to be a change at these places before the athletics at Central can get any better. Way to go Santel. No one should have to put up with what you have.

[Edited by flyer on 1-5-03 1:27A]

[Edited by flyer on 1-5-03 1:31A]

How said it is to see an administration and a group of parents dictate the atheletics at Columbia Central High School. Once again, give the faculty and parents a check in the "w" column for getting rid of another coach. I could not agree more with the posts on this subject, the girls of Columbia Central High School could never play for a top ranked school, the reason, the parents do not have the discipline, much less the kids. What is one to do, when the administration is at the beckon' call of the parents. It does not matter if you are in atheletics or if you are a door to door salesman, if you do not have support, you are fighting an uphill battle. Give the coach credit, look at the past number of seasons that these ladies have had, and still you had a coach who was willing to go out there. One can only wonder what to do with a program that is notorious for not keeping a coach. But I caution you, do not blame the kids, they are probably only echoing what they hear off the court anyway. I agree with the others, way to go coach. Now what will the program do, after all, how many applied for the job last time it came open? However, if the parents and administration are satisfied, I'm sure they will have the answer. For they have been so successful in the past.

I hate to see a coach resign mid-year. I really wish that he could have stayed at Columbia and gutted it out for 45-50 more days. Having said that, it must have gotten pretty bad for him to do this. I watched Columbia play a game last year and I heard some trash talking from the fans in the stands (to their coach)that I had never ever witnessed before. It was embarrassing.

Columbia is in the most difficult region and sub-state in the entire state. It will take someone with the full support of the community to turn things around there. You can spin this anyway you want to, Lions fans, but there needs to be some serious internal house cleaning before you subject another coach to this mess.....good luck, mr. santel...you know it's funny...5 posts on this subject and not one defending columbia high....go figure

[Edited by JohnJacob on 1-6-03 10:39A]

I agree with every post thus far, I didn't like the fact that Santel resign mid season, but I can tell you he had a lot of backstabbing going on with his assistant coaches, and he didn't even know it. I heard his senior players and parents are the ones that cause the big stink. And all he can do is coach, he couldn't get out on the floor and play for them.