Lee Humphrey and Tyler Gaskin light up Bearden.

REBELRON

Posted by WPAINE2640:

Although im glad peterson has disciplined his playes more than jerry green, he is not the same recruiter that greene or even O'neil were.

Meant to say this in my last post...

Don't you think there's a relationship between those two statements? O'Neill was the best recruiter they've had and one of the best there's been, and Green was a good recruiter too. Green was a good recruiter partly *BECAUSE* he let his players do what they wanted. Come play for me, we'll let you shoot as much as you want, I don't have many rules, just keep yourself out of jail. That won't work with everybody, but it's a much better draw for people who have been pampered their whole lives because they can flat-out ball.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Kentucky fan...I know you guys love me, especially tonight. I really dislike all of Tennessee's players, which I don't do with a lot of teams, but Tennessee's are all whiners and punks. They never accept a foul, unless its called on the other team, they always have to plead their case and whine about it. They seem to not be supervised too well, although nothing serious has happened, they just act as though they are invincible. I think they have gotten better since Peterson has arrived, but not totally better. I think once Green's kids are gone it might shape up, the Buzz boys, exception of Crump, all seem to be pretty decent players. I think it is better for Lee not to be going to Tennessee, how many white guys play for Florida and how many white guys play for Tennessee...I mean actually play!? Florida starts almost all white guys, Tennessee hardly plays any. Not that it would make a difference or that Tennessee is racist, it is just that white guys have a tendency to play a shooters game, whereas black guys fit into a quicker run and gun and power type game. Therefore, I think Lee fits into Florida's offense a lot better than Tennessee's, well considering Tennessee doesn't have much of one! Anyone notice that? Tennessee really doesn't run plays, they usually waste a lot of clock, shoot the ball and get rebounds, most plays are just erratic!?

Ohh, well as I said, I'm a Kentucky fan, I'm not supposed to know much about Tennessee..as you can see...I don't! Small observations here and there, but not a ton below the surface. Ya know that they say, know your enemy...well if there are two teams Kentucky fans hate its Tennessee and Louisville...its so much fun to hate them too!

I played college ball for four years at UTC 95-99 after playing high school ball at Powell. I know what it takes to play at the D1 level and Lee Humphreys is totally at that level. What seperates him from every other good player around Knoxville, including Kyle Cruze, is his ability to consistently get AND make his own shot. He understands the subtle nuances of the game, such as how to use his body to protect the ball and how to create space on the perimeter against tough man to man by thrusting the ball through. I've seen him play and if I was to guard him, I would try to make him go right as often as possible, he simply shoots the ball too well moving to the left. As for Higgins, I';ve spent the last three years in law school at UT and I've played a lot of pick up ball with Higgins and his brother, they are both great guys and any trash that was talked by Higgins would have been good spirited in nature. He's a pretty classy guy.

Having said that about Humphreys, don't sleep on Bearden. When I was in school, I despised Bearden. They beat us by two points in the Regional Championship game in 94 and I still think about that game all the time. What I respect about Bearden is their discipline and fundamentals. They work very hard to win the games they should win and find ways to win some games they shouldn't. Coach Blevins is excellent. You cannot understate the importance of discipline at the high school level. Powell, though very talented this year, is suffering from a lack of discipline on their team and the results of that start to rear their heads this time of year. Powell lost to an inferior Oak Ridge team by 20 points the other night, case in point.