Open For Bids!

ERA

First, to set the table, I know exactly nothing what the Coach from Coffee is going to do since the hiring of a new football staff (he was football/softball) is in progress. I have heard speculation but it is speculation only that our current softball coach is looking.

What schools would be in the running for Coach Breeden?

He lives football and his record as softball coach stands on it's own.

Our small town breathes softball. As you know, Coffee WANTS to bring football back to the win column but refuses to put all of the pieces of the puzzle on the table. I would expect night verses day difference in attitude of how to give a coach all of the pieces if he were to go to the 'Boro or Nashville or Chattanooga for a football program.

I also suspect he would be interested in softball with a new job. Therein lies the question.

Which systems do you think would / should up the ante for his hire?

For clarity purposes, Coach Breeden built the softball program into what it is today because he started a feeder system, had control and called the shots for the entire program from top to bottom. He had that control because he was outside the school board realm of control and could make decisional changes as the talent and numbers dictated.

In football, control was/is something the school board is not interested in relinquishing. In our system, it's all about control. Whoever winds up with him and works with him will undoubtedly see his strategical prowess.

Personally, I hope he leaves, so that he may get to accomplish his goals especially when those around you think you can't. Believe me, my family knows what that is all about.

[Edited by ERA on 1-12-03 1:22P]

First of all, from his experience, Coach Breeden has put up big numbers for his softball team. However, he is also a football coach. He may have to decide what he wants to do to be happy just like the players have to make decisions. As far as upping the money for him to coach softball & football, I doubt he will get any more money outside of what the coaching supplement is for coaching softball. In most schools, softball does not pay for itself & I doubt any program is going to pay big bucks to bring a softball coach to their program. If he want to coach football, I'm sure he will find a job. If he wants to coach softball, I'm sure he will find a job because most school system don't have qualified coaches to coach the sport. But to be able to ask big bucks because he can coach both, Coffee County may be the most logical choice unless he wants to leave the area. (in the State of Tenn) If he goes to another state, the story may be different. Good Luck Coach!

very wise and mature comments from alliegator11.

era, i would suggest for coach b to go into a private

school somewhere, ensworth will be expanding and may need

a coach. also, some of these schools would be glad to get

a coach with his softball record, and they may not care

about the football record.

If I was reponsible for hiring at Siegel High School I'd be standing on Jeff Breeden's porch when he got home from school this afternoon.

Also, don't know if Blackman's softball hiring this fall was meant to be a permanent solution, but he'd also be a great fit there as head softball coach and assistant football coach. He has indicated he'd be willing to be an assistant in a top football program, and Blackman certainly qualifies.

Karen Green (formerly of MTSU) is currently the middle school coach at Siegel Middle where she also teaches. She may have that position in mind at the high school. Does anyone know? What has become of Jill Booth? Could you give a clear account of why Coffee Co.'s coach would be leaving? Is he leaving? If you want to take a program in Rutherford Co. that could use someone with desire to coach softball, I think Smyrna would be a great challenge. That school needs a coach. Great admiration for the girls who have played in one of the toughest districts in the state and still put their jerseys on to compete the next year. Did the football coach still have the team last spring? They have a fairly nice field on campus! It may even have lights!

The football coach did not have the team last year. They had a new coach, but there were no real changes to their record. They have a nice field, but whenever we play against them we always have to play on a slowpitch field near the Smyrna airport. It is an unfair advantage. I have hit many a ball against them that would have easily gone out on a regulation field.