what do you think about women coaching men's baske

Guest and142

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chhs, i did figuratively say "just kidding". but it did not mean that i was seeking the type of mercy that you give the class clown because he is just a joker and is never serious. i have a very serious side, and you and others did put me in my place when you "scorched" me. what i did say is that stirring the pot is what i like to do. and i did! and admit it, you and others love to put posters like me in my place when we do stir things up so just cool down. furthermore, we have not had enough exchanges on here for you to make blanket statements like, "you always claim you were just kidding when you get scorched...."(paraphrased) in your last post you said that i had just proven your assumption about me correct, then listed as proof something that i had just admitted in my post,- that i really didn't know much about the topic!! nice work sherlock.

now, in a less antagonistic way, let me explain what led me to make my first post in this thread in the first place. okay, i see the title of the thread and am intrigued, so i begin reading. i am thinking about my opinion on the women issue as i read. then i read a post that says something like, "pat summitt could coach men. she could coach anybody...." (paraphrased again). this is when i decide to respond, albeit in my normal, provocative, sarcastic way. (that's just the personality that i have on coacht, and it has proven to introduce many great debates. i even had one with your buddy, stokomo, this past summer that started this same way. the funny thing is that in the end we agreed.) i respond because although p.h. summitt's record is indisputable, i don't think she could coach men's basketball at all. i base this on myself. when i played i would not have wanted to have played for a woman. i would have been uncomfortable with it,- not just an uneasy uncomfortable, but an uncomfortable that leads to hesitance, less gelling, and breakdowns in communication and hierarchy. and i should add that i was very coachable as a player, and i played on teams with great kids (no sprewell's or iverson's). however, i think some of them would have found it more difficult than me. summitt is a great authoritarian that commands respect. men would try her on that ("ain't no woman gonna tell me what to do!"). she would in turn tighten up to show them who's in charge. they would in turn rebel more. and so begins the downward spiral. i am not saying this is right, but it's difinitely how it would be in many cases,- not all, but more than enough to sink the boat.....

now i hope that is clear enough to chhs, mchs, et. al....you didn't like my style of posting......fine....but it led to all of this and i for one love it.........mchs, maybe they will kick me off, but don't worry too much about my maturity,- i can handle myself okay.

oh yeah, chhs, you did scorch me. you too, mchs. now do you two feel better? i feel exactly same, but if you guys feel better then it was worth it.

caca, to answer your initial question, i would have to go with dean smith. i think he would be the man that would come closest in today's game, in fact, i think he could still be very successful at today's game.....he was an excellent coach and even better recruiter....

rupp is a legend, but game has changed,- although i think great coaching is great coaching......same thing for john wooden,- but a record you can't argue with.......

summitt i would only pick if it was women's team....i made my thoughts on that very clear in my last post.

excellent question. very intruguing. and i do see the point you were trying to make. although i do wish you would finish your sentences. nevertheless, point well taken.

everyone else, chime in and answer this very legitimate question. who and why?

Didn't realize what I started with saying Pat could coach anyone. I think if a player really wants to learn the game and plays to win, anyone can coach them. As far as "the choker" in the NBA, Iverson, Slay @ TN, I doubt if Pat would lower her self to recruit those people, then she would not have to coach them. For you guys that think women can't coach, it may not be basketball but basketball is similar to the gam of life, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. We all have been coached by a women at some point, our mothers, wives, Boss, co-worker, teacher, etc. If a person wants to learn that person can learn from anyone. It is up to that person. I would say there is not a high school in TN that would not take a chance on Pat S. as a boys coach.

i see your point. when you extend your definition of coaching, it is true that we have all had this experience. i didn't even realize that is was you that had said it.....nothing i have said was aimed at you personally....my apologies if you felt that way....my opinion is still the same though.

you may be right about any high school would take a chance on summitt, but you have to remember the factor of name recognition, fame, etc......

just my opinion, though.

Well I don't think high school boys would feel as intimidated by a woman, especially after being coached by a man. Maryville's basketball coach can be down right mean, pretty scary fellow, so if he were fired and a woman took over I don't think the players would listen, maybe not even play! I could be wrong, but thats what I think. Also, Pat Summitt isn't that great of a coach, she excelled in a young sport before she had much competition, now that the competition is stepping up, she's faltering a little bit. Her recruits are becoming less talented and she is racking up more losses. Why can't she keep that big wins and championship trophies rolling in!?