what do you think about women coaching men's baske

Guest and142

Guest gnh41163

The boys coach at Soddy-Daisy is Laura Wood, and she has proven definitively that basketball knowledge, leadership skills, teaching ability and strong character are the only important qualifications to coach any gender. When we say that boys will not respond to a female coach, we're not giving young people enough credit. They want what anyone wants in a coach and it has nothing to do with gender.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a problem with the men players, not the women coaches. In fact, it's a problem beyond basketball: if you aren't able to learn from someone because you disrespect them before they speak, you're a fool. (Teen-aged boys acting foolish? Can't be true!) You can learn about a book from its cover if it's one of those cheap paperback ones, but you have to spend some time with the ones that come in cloth bindings to discern their quality.

Yee-haw, that's our sermon for the day! :(

ok..that was the dumbest most immature post I've ever read. But as for women coaching men's teams...I don't think it would work. I don't think I could play for most women coaches. Women's basketball and men's basketball are both great...but they're played almost totally different. I'm not disrespecting women in any way...I just don't think it would work in most cases.

I think it would take a very special women just like it takes a very special man to successfully coach a girls team. Face it the differences between men and women are more than physical and it takes a unique individual to understand and cope with these differences. Pat Summit would be a successfl mens coach as well as Jill Pruden. I coached against a lady who coached boys and she was vey successful.

okay, jdub, outside of my "heck of a man" jibe, what exactly did i say that you disagree with? i just stated facts. if you'll look at the record, i don't think you can argue. she has around 120 losses in her career. okay, disregard her first five year's losses. now, how many of the remainder of them have come in the last five years? your honor, the prosecution rests.

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. You show how little you know about basketball and its history. It would take too long to give you the proper lesson and from what I have seen it would do no good anyway.

I will point out that Pat has had 27 complete seasons, this is her 28th, and has lost 161 games for an average of 5.9 games per year. She has 3 losses this year. I have not looked it up but I would bet that the average over the last five years is not any more than that. It is true that Conn. has been a problem. Before that it was ODU, La. Tech, Texas, USC, Stanford and on and on. The difference is that Pat has been at the top regardless of who has come along. The others have fallen back and UConn will too and Pat will still be at the top.

I saw Pat's teams play when she first started. They were not much more than a club team. Pat has had them on the rise ever since. Check your history and then get on here and comment. As you are fond of saying we want the facts.

[Edited by CHHS72 on 1-16-03 5:24P]

Respect can be gained by anyone. Women coaches I think would have to work harder to gain the respect of male players but that can be done.

I think this has less to do with who is coaching the team than other things like playing time. Hey, players (at least at the high school level)could care less who is coaching the team as long as everything is going well for the team and for them. Everyone is replacable.