"The Spirituals"

Guest soccerfan4

do you honestly think anybody not from mccallie will say they care about the spirituals? theyre one of the most hated groups in local sports, mostly because other spinoff spirit groups (the daisy crazies, ooltewah refs, and any other group attempting to be like the spirituals) from other schools cant come close to them. and do you really think anybody cares about any other schools student groups? just as many people could care less about the spirituals as they could about any of those other groups. what a retarded question.

As a Chattanooga area local (and witness of these kids antics many times) I can tell you that my impression is one of disgust. It is one thing to show up and vocally support your team. It is quite another to belittle, curse, and vocally abuse the OTHER team. Especially in high school athletics, in small gyms where every word can be heard by everyone. Leave that and other classless stuff to the college boys who want to make horses rears out of themselves.

Cheer for your side, show a little respect for your opponent.

The Spirituals don't curse. Their antics are some of cleverest antics that go on at high school athletic events. As Austin Clark about the kid that did a dead on imitation of him including the red blazer with the too short sleves.

252525 must go to a school that ended up on the short side of a athletic event with McCallie.

the daisy crazies might not be as old as the spirituals, but they definatley are the better student section in terms of taking advantage of the homecourt advantage. the daisy crazies may be a copy of the spirituals just because every student section is a spin off of every other student section. im sure the spirituals in no way resemble the cameron crazies...give me a break. i just cant get over how stupid people are sometimes. don't bring up lame ideas about the daisy crazies copying mccallie. thats retarded.

Personally I believe that the spirituals could be spending daddy's money on a new mercedes other than wasting their time talking trash about spinoffs taking their *originality* as if they were the first to ever create chants and hip names to rhyme w/ your school team. oh and how's this for originality ( Spoiled Spirituals ) got a ring to it, doesn't it

This is basketball being discussed, but what I remember is a game McCallie played on the road in football about 12 years ago. They were playing in a small town vs a then AA team, and quite a few of these "spirituals" thought it would be cute to mock the local fans by wearing overalls, straw hats, have corn cob pipes and the whole bit. Their team was beaten 18-6 by the "hillbilly and redneck" team despite the best efforts of the spirituals. I guess what happens in the stands doesn't matter too much. BTW, the paper the next morning put a nice spin on it, blaming the game on McCallie fumbles, even though they scored their only touchdown when the other team dropped a punt at the 10 yard line. It was backed up the next week when Coach Potter fed them a line like they just weren't ready to play the first game, after they beat then terrible Ooltewah 40-0 or so. Anyone that was there at the 18-6 game knows the real story though. BTW2, they lost again in 1993 when they went back as a 5A team even with players like Tawambi Settles and more hilarious antics from the "spirituals."

[Edited by Indian on 1-20-03 5:28P]

Indian,

Ouch! Why are you are responding on such an inane thread? Do you actually expect an intelligent response? I mean, read the "contributions" here. The authors don't even bother to make sure their spelling is correct! How can you think they would have an interest in an intellectually honest assessment of your compelling input?

Just in case somebody with intelligence and a desire for truth is reading this thread, you should probably indicate in some fashion that the "Coach Potter" you refer to is the father of the current "Coach Potter" of McCallie. And point out that Settles turned down a "double scholarship" (football and basketball) from Stanford to go to Duke for a "football only" ride.

To everybody else: As far as the "spirituals" go, they are just kids trying to impress other kids in their peer group. Give them a break. If they go over the line, it is the fault of their adult sponsors, supervisors, and mentors. If they DO step over that line, it is probably because they have no idea what it is like to be a kid, a coach, a parent, a teacher, or a supporter of a school whose students do not have their advantages. How can a kid know that if the adults charged with teaching them don't tell them?

Dingo