Ezell Harding "What lesson are you teaching?"

Winner

This post is in direct response to Winner. The last sentence of your post "I guess some people think differently", is correct. You see you think different than a lot of people. First of all you don't really know what you are talking about, in regards to what happens at other schools, or with other people.

Just to qualify myself, I have a son on the team. (Underclassman)

I and the other parents are very happy that the 3 young men went ahead and decided to play out the season. Let me give you some of the reasons.

1) These three young men can teach our kids so much about the game at this level in the practice gym. (You see we only have 1 player with varsity experience)

2) As you say they are great kids, so I want my son to be around them more.

3) With the returning of these players we will have some addional leadership (Jacob Burney has done a great job) on the floor when we are playing.

You know I couldn't be happier for your son and the rest of the kids on your team because of the rules and sanctions that your coach has put into place, hopefully it will work for you guys.

Just to let you know there are rules regarding play and playing time for our kids as well. Just because they are not the same as yours does not make them wrong.

Or should we all just say, you know DCA don't or does something this way so we sould too. We should know that you guys have the only way to do things. WRONG.

Maybe we should be honored just to be in your presence. WRONG.

You may not realize it but we have actually had kids miss out on starting or even playing a whole game for one reason or another. I hope this meets your approval, but you know, if it doesn't, we really don't care.

As for the lessons we are teaching, they are really none of your business. But since you asked.

It is never too late to try and live your dreams. As long as someone cares.

We teach unselfishness.

We teach letting go and letting God.

We teach happiness in others.

We teach love for our fellow person.

Just to set a couple of things straight. These 3 young men were never on the team this year. They came to help the team finish out this year. It is a great thing they have done. They have humbled themselves and made themselves avalable for there fellow student and the school.

There were a couple of other kids that started with the team this year and quit. Since then they have asked to come back and were not let back on the team. If you think all we want to do is win, then maybe

we sould have let these kids back on the team because they are very good athletes.

You have asked us to please understand where you are coming from. Well it appears you are coming from a position of jealousy for what we have.Or what you think we may have. We still may never win a game this year but what is the most important of all is that there will now be a more complete team competing. You know older and younger kids. All the kids will have much more fun. Maybe you want be against us having some fun.

I'll leave you with this.

As long as there is breath in us it is not too late.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wolfpack11

we teach in 2nd chances

putting the kids first

Learn from mistakes

stand and speak up

it never too late to do the right thing

there 17 they will make mistakes

no matter what they did they will be loved and accpected

Beat DCA

Also they never quitted they never tried out this year

[Edited by wolfpack11 on 1-20-03 2:50P]

How many kids that started the season and quit and have asked to be put back on the team? What year were they in? Did they ask to be put back on the team after the seniors decided to come back? Were they playing any at the beginning of the season? Just trying to put the puzzle together.

Will their employers in the real world be so forgiving? I think this is sending the wrong message to the all the young men involved. These guys, their coach, and teammates have made the statement that these three guys are bigger than the team. I would rather be 0-30 with guys who actually care than winning lots of games with guys who play because they feel sorry for us. How can these guys earn their playing time considering they have not labored with their teammates. I cannot see how anyone can uphold or make lame excuses for this action. I certainly hope there is more to this than the all-mighty win. Good luck to the Ezell-Harding players and coaches. I hope this was the right decicion for all the young people involved.

I feel compelled to put in my two cents here while knowing from earlier posts that many of you won't agree.

Personally, I have made several decisions involving players that I didn't expect anyone outside of the team and school administration to understand. Each situation was unique, each situation involved unique individuals, and I knew that I was going to do what I felt was right regardless of what others thought. The young people I was coaching should expect nothing else.

Coach Burnette and the school administration made the decision they felt was best for the school and players. That is their job. They have already rationalized all of the lessons they will be teaching, precedents they are setting for their school, etc. If I ran across Coach Burnette at a game tonight I wouldn't ask him why he made the decision he did or expect him to volunteer it. The decision was his to make and he made it. The end.

[Edited by coacht on 1-20-03 5:02P]

Hey I believe DCA does have a dominant multi-sport athlete. He played for about 3 and a half quarters during the ezell basketball game. He also ran for over 240 yards against Ezell in 2 games.

Any guesses anyone??

SOPHOMORE

CHRIS WOODEN

Yeah he can also play a little soccer.

No!!! CoachT this is not the end, but only the beginning. These young people will have to raise their heads in the real world. This situation will not make them tougher, but only weaken them. Will their employer let them take a few months off and work when they please? I highly doubt it. Will their wives let them take time off from their marriage and come back when they feel like it. Again, I doubt it. I guess that this is why people only take the words "Till Death Do Us Part" serious when things are going well. There is more at stake here than a basketball game. Decisions made now will affect the long run. This is a very short term solution.

There have been alot of comments about coaching on other boards & why we have them. One of the things that has come out is if you have a coach, you need to accept & expect that he does things for the right reasons. I'm sure Coach B had his reasons & who knows what expectations he has from these young men.

Do we know if he promised them any playing time. Do we know if we start them in their 1st game back or how much they would play.

Do we know if they came to him or him to them & asked them to play (doesn't really matter) I'm sure he cares about HIS team & HIS players. That's why they call him "COACH".

If this was Lighthouse Christian or Jo Byrns, etc, probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Maybe he does not play the players the 1st game or maybe plays them in abbrev. roles. He's the coach, period...

If the other players were asked the question & they said ok, what else could he do? Good Luck to all schools & may the best team WIN!

Not to step on toes, but this thread and the first post are the major problem with coaching in high schools today. A coach made a decision - and parents don't like it. So the parents now are going to sabotage the coach because they don't have the faith that the coach is doing the right thing for the team.

The parents don't have to come on and say, "Coach ??? is a horrible person because..." No, they say the basketball coach at EH, etc, etc, etc. Why not? That's real discreet.

If they don't like the coach's decision, there are avenues to discuss/protest, especially at a private school where influential/monied people have a lot of pull. Go to the A D. Go to the principal. Don't whine on a public board!

The parent who started this thread is a bigger problem. My suggestion would be to eliminate the bigger problem! If he doesn't like the direction we're rowing, throw him out of the shell! Get rid of the cancer. If you're reading this, Coach ???, parents like this will continue to cause problems, so do the right thing for the rest of the team.