William Blount Women

LordInfamous

Lord,

Yep ... several of those girls are playing significant roles this year. W.B. is starting three freshmen off of last yr's W.B. middle school team. Coach Painter only had one senior on this year's squad ... Merideth Puleo ... and she blew out her knee before the first game of the season. This was a severe blow, because she was a team leader.

They return their entire squad next year, they'll still be a real young team ... plus they pick up current W.B. 8th grader, Angela Puleo, who most likely will start at point guard as a freshman (she is argueably the best 8th grader in the county this year). I see the Lady Gov's being a very strong team in the next 2 - 3 years.

GovMan

Wasn't the elder Puleo also a track star, that is sad, but I was just wondering because it seems with all the young talent they will be top dogs someday. Also Carpenters Middle is also proving to be a strong school as far as athletics are concerned. These kids are zoned for WB right, how are things looking in reagards to the CMS kids.

Yep, Meredith was one one of Coach Frary's do-it-all's on the track squad. It was a huge loss for the basketball team, not just due to her ability, but they miss her leadership as well.

Carpenters has a good girls team. Two of their starters played varsity last year as 7th graders and they are both all-county caliber players. One will go to Heritage unless something changes, the other will go to WB and she is an incredible athlete. She's got a good chance her freshman year to go to the state in the 100M in track (3rd in the nationals this summer 14&under). The rest of their varsity team went undefeated last year at the jv level. They (the varsity) struggled early this year, but they've finally gelled it looks like. They finished second in the East Tennessee Sports Christmas tournament and will be one of the favorites to win Blount County (although Maryville's girls have beaten them twice in season).

GovMan

I was a student teacher at Mary blount when they had a good team that one year lost 1 game, and the next year were undefeated. That was Coach Ware's last team or close to last team, and when they got in high school the didn't pan out. Last year alot of those girls were seniors,and they won 1 game, so it doesn't always pan out, but I wish them the best.

First, Coach Ware and Coach Ballard at Middlesettlements were two of the best middle school coaches around. They brought alot of girls along. Second, I think the previous coach at WB has to shoulder some of the blame for the issues at WB for that good group of girl's not succeeding as they should. Third, WB has lost some of their local tallent to other schools like Sarah Landers.

It is difficult to maintain an athlete at a level of constant improving for four years in HS, all the elements need to be in good shape. I think WB is trying to find the right mix now. Heritage has had it and will continue to have it.

By the way, Mrs. Ballard son is Stan Ballard at Morristown West (formerly at OS). He is one of the best coaches in East Tennessee, I was very sorry he did not get the job at Alcoa a few years back. He is an excellent person also. I would have my kids do it all over again if he could coach them. He is one coach that would bring all the elements together. ;)

GovMan, the girl at Carpenters that you referred to, is the real deal. I have watched her for four years now. She is an all around athlete (possibly the best in Blount County now), however, the money is in track. I spend a lot of time in track in the olden days, if she continues, she is Major D1

TdTbb (tell me what that stands for and I might figure out who you are ... you reside in Louisville?):

Right on about both Coach Ware and Coach Ballard. And you're right about Stan too. He definitely needs our prayers as he is still fighting a tough battle against cancer.

Coach Ballard's daughter, Rose, is an excellent coach also. She currently coaches 4th-5th grade girls at Fairview Elementary ... they went undefeated this year and won the county tournament.

I really believe W.B. will be strong in a couple of years. I think Coach Painter is moving them in the right direction.

As far as Danielle goes, no question track is her meal ticket. But I also think she has unlimited potential in basketball ... I just think she needs a lot of polishing.

Speaking of Sarah Landers ... unofficially, she should make her season debut this week. The knee is not 100% yet, but she has been released and she is ready to go at it. Losing her and Allison Fulmer has been such a tremendous blow to Maryville's girls this year. Hopefully, with Sarah back, they can make life difficult for some of the teams in their district down the stretch.

GovMan