Stopping the WING-T?

ELA

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is one "sure" way to stopping the wingt. You have to prepare for their bread and butter and then pick your poison. We like to base out of the 5-3 and slant to motion every time. But being an offensive guy my answer to stopping the wing-t is to score early an often to make them play catch-up. Now I realize that isn't always posible, but "a good offense is the best defense". When your athletes are superior is does not matter what you do. But if you don't match up well size and speed wise I think you have to gamble for sure. The problem with that is the lanes that it creates. I have a lot of respect for wing-t guys because of their patience because it just gets to you. We had a team drive 98 yards and take about 8 minutes off the clock (and we had a great plan) and all I could do was smoke cigs in the press box waiting to get the ball back. (I smoked two packs on that drive.) Look at me I'm getting ticked off just thinking about having to play you wing-t guys!!!! LOL I agree with coach763 I need instant gratification for sure. :):)

[Edited by throw46 on 1-29-03 9:57A]

throw46.............

I am going to give you your 1st good mark cause you are right on. Here are 2 tips about the "old" wing 1.) It takes 2 coaches with an understanding of the "O" to run it. 2.) It is definitely user-friendly for lineman; angles and double-teams aid lesser folks OR you can SOMETIMES take smaller ones and beat bigger ones.

Is it the answer?........NO; nothing is!

Whatever you run.........be sure to Run some CLOCK. :o

coac763

you mentioned that the wing-t is NOT quick strike offense. Well, I beg to differ. In my SR year at Alcoa, we averaged about 2:00 minutes per drive. The main reason the wing-t is hard to stop is b/c of play calling. A good offensive coordinator can and will keep the defense off balance all year long. My QB passed for over 2,000 yards and 25 TD's my sr season. We had 6 backs w/over 500 yards rushing, and we had 5 WR's w/over 300 yards receiving. SPEED kills! we had 2 guys running 4.3's, 3 or 4 that ran 4.4's, and about 10 that ran 4.5's and 4.6's. If you have speed and a offensive minded coach, you WILL be successfully running the wing-t. The key is good play calling and keeping the defense guessing and off balance. Average drive of 2:00 minutes sounds pretty quick strike though!!!

BlueSally........

My statement was not an absolute but an "as a rule".......It is not as fast scoring as say the "west coast" stuff that everyone is fooling with now; simply by its structure. With that type talent, ya'll had, ya'll would have scored a lot in whatever type offense that you chose to run. I should have said that a lot of people run it for its ball-contol ability. You must have liked the "Sally" play...... its a good one.........what action did ya'll run it off of? :o

• 2 weeks later...
Guest POWERHOUSE69

tackle who ever pulls. dont run to the ball sit down in the hole and stuff the hole. the wing t is easy to stop if u have the guys that are willing to wait on the ball instead of pursuing the ball.

Powerhouse is right, the only way to stop the wing-T is to play a gap controlled defense and keep your players at home; I've personally learned the hard way, mainly against Baylor. If you have a disciplined defense willing to take care of their responsibilities alone, the opposing team won't pick you to death with 5 and 6 yard gains.