Morristown East Job Opening?

artiefeelgood

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kisabeth wasn't successful in the 90's? He led Jeff to the state finals in 96. How many other East Tennessee teams played for the state in the 90's out of that classification? Oak Ridge comes to mind......Who else?

I certainly do not agree with the premise that high school football is ALL about athletes. Maybe it works in the regular season but not in the playoffs. Those athletes have to have discipline, direction, and focus to last through the mentally draining playoffs. Coaching puts the pieces together

Look at Don Woods at West. Had Morristown West ever been to the state semi-finals before Woods arrived?

Chuck Proffit was an All-American junior safety at Carson-Newman in the 80's. Ken Sparks quote about him was "He was the hardest hitter I've ever coached." He suffered a neck injury before his senior year at C-N. Proffit coached the West defensive backs with Woods until this past season at West. He took a job as a defensive backs coach somewhere close to Myrtle Beach, SC. The only thing I know about Lamar Brown is that he coached at Cumberland University for one season. He coached at West, left for Cumberland, and returned to West.

DO YOU KNOW THAT EAST HAS HAD MORE PLAYERS SIGN COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS THAN WEST IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS BUT WEST HAS WON 60 GAMES AND EAST HAS WON ABOUT 1O. YOU NEED TO GIVE WOODS SOME CREDIT. HE DOES A GREAT JOB GETTING KIDS OUT AND THE KIDS HAVE FUN PLAYING FOR HIM. WEST HAS HAD ONLY 2 PLAYERS SIGN SCHOLARSHIPS. DAILEY (CUMBERLAND COLLEGE) AND GENE JOHNSON (CARSON-NEWMAN).EAST HAS PLENTY OF TALENT BUT THEY SURE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PLAY TOGETHER. IF WOODS HAD BEEN AT EAST THE PAST 5 YEARS I BET THE WIN/LOSS RECORDS WOULD HAVE REVERSED.

Don Woods is like the coach on Varsity Blues. He wants that District Championship. Nah, the reason East sends players to colleges is the academic factor. Woods takes players that would normally not play and turn them into football Gods. He knows how to take any player and turn them into true players. With the Housing Authority/Projects laying straight in front of West, he has plenty of projects to build. Most of those players lack the academic standards. In this day and age, academics are huge in signing scholarships. Check Gene Johnson's and Chad Dailey's GPA's. They both had over 3.5's. Also, West does not contain superstars. The last superstar they had was Chevez McCray. He would have signed at UT, but he was kicked out of school a few years back. West is a balanced squad with no superstars.

For a while you had me believing that you might know what you were talking about. Then you blew it when you said that "Chevez McCray would have gone to UT." Just exactly what do you base that comment on?

Um. I still know what I'm talking about because Chevez McCray (FIRST TEAM ALL-STATE Running Back 4-A as a Junior) went to a camp at the University of Tennessee after his junior season. Well, since Phil Fulmer and Don Woods are close friends (Fulmer was a reference on Woods' application when he got the West job)... Oral agreements made upon gave McCray a spot on the University of Tennessee squad after his senior season. Too bad he got busted for weed in high school and got kicked out. Woods' brother is Sparky, former head coach at South Carolina.